"I'd rather be in Guardians" The Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by henzINNIT, Jun 30, 2017.

1. henzINNIT Registered

She's back baby. #trollbaitthread

But seriously. Mystique is back. What do you wanna see with the character? Is she still going to be an X-Woman?

2. marvelrobbins Registered

i have suspecion she may not be with x-men at begining and xavier goes to get her help with the sh'iar attacking.the fact she doesn't show up for filming later made me think this.

3. Erik Lensherr Registered

https://moviepilot.com/p/why-xmen-needs-to-let-jennifer-lawrence-go/4303924

4. marvelrobbins Registered

i don't disagree with what they say about her.i really hope the claim her and fassbender's roles will be limited are true.it can help with some of the skeptism of the film.

5. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Love the title thread!

6. Weather Witch Registered

That might be a good approach actually. Essentially give her the treatment Quicksilver got in Apocalypse. That'd also make the character feel a bit less intrusive. Plus Mystique has been all over the globe saving mutants since DOFP, so I don't see why she'd stop now and sit in that house for the rest of her life. ;)

7. marvelrobbins Registered

should be pointed out her,fassbender,and peters aren't in montreal yet.and they seem to be filming something big or important with mock up of un building.
    there is rumor on twitter which may or may not be bull that says she and magneto have smaller roles in this compared to first class trilogy.

8. FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Lawrence was actually pretty great in First Class, and perfectly fine in the role subsequently.

The problem isn't her... but how the narrative has been misconstrued to make Mystique noble since Days of Future Past.

She's an outright jackass for refusing to back down on killing Trask, despite knowing it will result in their extinction. When she begrudgingly drops the gun at the very last second (after multiple pleas from her surrogate older brother), suddenly she's the hero and fan-worshiped? Really?

On the other hand, Magneto tried doing the sensible thing in offing her and the narrative treated him like he was evil? Again... really?

9. marvelrobbins Registered

big problem is attempt to turn mystique into noble character.

10. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

Mystique's origin and beyond was never noble, she was grey to straight up villain. JLaw's role deserves to be tiny if cut out, give Rogue a chance or Archangel, roles that people actually want the spotlight on.

11. Frankeh Registered

Its a mischaracterization. I want to see a hero Mystique as much as I want to see a mutant supremacist Charles Xavier. Not at all.

12. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

Singer just needs to stay away from the whole franchise, though I know there might be other influences in the script, he's majorly at fault for most of the mess.

13. henzINNIT Registered

Lawrence can't really win at this point. Her Mystique isn't as interesting as either the comic version or Romijn's take from earlier films. Prequel era Mystique is mis-charaterized as a boring reluctant hero. Jennifer Lawrence is a good actor, miscast as this boring reluctant hero. Imagine if she was playing a role that suited her in this franchise. People would be happy to see Lawrence returning.

14. By your Command Danger Room Technician

I agree and understand the Jlaw people that don't want her in these movies, just as much as I agreed with the Halle people (But I still love the fact that they keep returning no matter what), I just came here to say I laughed when I saw the name of the thread, it's just perfect.

15. Frankeh Registered

16. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

17. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

I was hoping that there would be no more Mystique

There are a handful of actual X-Men characters that I would rather see get more screen time than Jennifer Lawrence

18. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Where is this from and why is she being such a tit?

19. Frankeh Registered

Its from this tumblr post but I can't find the actual interview. Its clearly her words though. Love your signature.

20. GuestStar2004 Registered

Lawrence has a very dry sense of humour, you just have to look at 95% of her interviews to see that but that probably annoys people also.

I was reading on twitter someone said they were annoyed with her because in an interview some time ago Lawrence jokingly said that she is sure Mystique might have experimented with her sexuality in her younger years and for some reason that pissed someone off apparently (not sure why though).

It will be interesting to find out how much of a role she will have because at the moment she isn't in montreal and there are certain people who instantly jumped on this wagon of how it was gonna be all about her because it was jennifer lawrence and how FOX are desperate to kiss her butt but it seems like it might just be another exaggeration from people on this board who tripped over a mole hill and told everyone they fell down a mountain.

#20 GuestStar2004, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  21. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Take Kinberg with him!

22. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

I don't mind a dry sense of humour, these stars must get fed up with the media interviews they have to do.

Well, the plan was once for Mystique to shapeshift into a man to impregnate her partner Destiny, who then gave birth to Nightcrawler. But tha Claremont idea never went ahead.

I see no reason why someone who can change their appearance wouldn't have a lot of fun with it. I know I would!

Well, if they really ARE still planning a Mystique solo film, like the rumours are saying, then the poop will definitely hit the fan, lol...

The problem is they've made Mystique so bland that a spin-off is going to take a lot of thought. Especially because her comic book backstory - where she was a wartime spy - isn't possible on screen.

23. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Next time, Jennifer Lawrence will use her dry sense of humour to criticize this film, only for Fox to sign up her in another X-Men movie. If people's criticism of over reliance on Mystique/JLaw and JLaw's humour in appearing in these movies didn't stop Fox for bringing her back, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't hire her for a 5th movie.

24. marvelrobbins Registered

Jennifer Lawrence was photographed shopping today in paris so she isn't in canada still.

25. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

All this talk of JLaw having a small role because she's in not in Montreal is just wishful thinking.

Remember that Sir Ian McKellen only shot his X2 scenes for 2 weeks in Vancouver and he had a pretty sizeable role in that one (though he's actually a great addition to this franchise...)

Afterall it's been said she's the highest paid cast member this time out. They're not gonna hire her and pay her beaucoup $ and only have her as a minor character. Fox can't be that clueless.

You must really like that analogy don't you? That's like the 5th time you've used it. :cwink: