Ideas for Man of Steel 2

So? It's not like the Avengers aren't a long established team. It's not like each member of the X-men or GotG hasn't had individual adventures.

The Avengers were established heroes with individual careers way before they were brought together. Even after they teamed-up the individual members continued to have high-profile adventures in their own solo comics. The MCU reflected that with the individual hero build-up films which led to the big team-up - and the continued solo adventures after it. The formation of the Justice League in the comics followed that same model.

Whilst I'm more of a DC guy the first Avengers film felt like a massive event and a huge part of that excitement was in the coming together of characters and actors that I'd seen in the lead-in movies. I wouldn't have found The Avengers anywhere near as impactful if the team-up movie had been first.

I’d like to see Braniac built up to be a major villain for MOS3(dreaming I know). I would have the movie start with Superman taking out Parasite or Toyman and then show him being Superman in general. Helping people, smiling and being kind. Ya know hopeful and all. Have Lex be behind the creation of Metallo after having met Corbin in prison. At first Metallo shows up and try’s to outshine Superman only to have true motives exposed and Superman has to take him down. Once the veil of heroism is ripped away Metallo is shown to be a true and calculating threat that can fight Superman mentally and physically. He is a terminator that is cold and calculating. A walking kryptonite powered cyborg that thrives on seeing Superman die. His hate for the Superman can stem from some kind of prejudice against Supes. Maybe similar to Lex he sees Superman as a false God or something. Use some hints and cameos to set up Braniac as the villain for part 3. Have MOS2 be smaller scale and have MOS3 be the grand cosmic epic that Braniac can bring to the table and introduce Supergirl at the end of MOS2

I’d like to see Braniac built up to be a major villain for MOS3(dreaming I know). I would have the movie start with Superman taking out Parasite or Toyman and then show him being Superman in general. Helping people, smiling and being kind. Ya know hopeful and all. Have Lex be behind the creation of Metallo after having met Corbin in prison. At first Metallo shows up and try’s to outshine Superman only to have true motives exposed and Superman has to take him down. Once the veil of heroism is ripped away Metallo is shown to be a true and calculating threat that can fight Superman mentally and physically. He is a terminator that is cold and calculating. A walking kryptonite powered cyborg that thrives on seeing Superman die. His hate for the Superman can stem from some kind of prejudice against Supes. Maybe similar to Lex he sees Superman as a false God or something. Use some hints and cameos to set up Braniac as the villain for part 3. Have MOS2 be smaller scale and have MOS3 be the grand cosmic epic that Braniac can bring to the table and introduce Supergirl at the end of MOS2

I like that :up: Puts me in mind of the Superman/Metallo fight in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

I wouldn't have found The Avengers anywhere near as impactful if the team-up movie had been first.

JL, regardless of the set up, was never going to achieve the "impact" of Avengers, because Avengers came first and using the the Same MO of the MCU would only smell of "Me Too Syndrome" to the general audience.

Perfect way to go about it but for Kara Zor El/Kara Danvers I would not introduce her until MOS 2 but I would have her show up in the mid credits scene building up towards MOS3 and post credits would build towards Batman or another DCEU franchise; MOS 3 I definitely would have Kara have a bigger role/sidekick to her cousin and Brainiac being the villain

JL, regardless of the set up, was never going to achieve the "impact" of Avengers, because Avengers came first and using the the Same MO of the MCU would only smell of "Me Too Syndrome" to the general audience.

It may not have achieved the impact of The Avengers but it would still have had more impact than it ended up with.

there are too many differing opinions on what and how Superman should be, and too many bigots holding those opinions. this is why the MCU has worked. Very few people have strong opinions about the characters they've used. And the one time they did something with a mildly popular character, the mandarin, it got ugly.

There aren’t that many differing opinions. Right now it seems like there are only two: either Superman should be like Donner’s version, or he should be something more complex, darker, grander, violent or simply more divine. With either opinion, the frame of reference is first about the surface level popular impression of Superman (that’s he’s the “friendly neighborhood” Superman or the “Jesus” Superman), rather than what he has been in the comics, which is consistent enough to write a decent story. The problem isn’t really about differing opinions; it’s that most film makers seem to forget that he’s a comic book character and not a Hollywood character. Zack Snyder admittedly came closest, but even he seemed far more interested in what audiences perceived about Superman rather than who Superman has been and the sort of hero he has been across the majority of comics.

I think they should start with Metropolis in regards to all that stuff.

I agree fully. But what I mean is that Superman isn’t the lone magical superhero in an otherwise ordinary world. He exists in a world with sci-fi breakthroughs and meta humans and supervillains. There’s a way to do that in a credible way. And that’s part of the solution to making a good Superman film.

Not really. JL didn’t need to match the cultural event that Avengers was. But it did need to pay off the previous few films in a satisfying and rewarding way. The problem is that Snyder and WB were not approaching JL as if it was the culminating team-up film that Avengers was. Snyder approached JL as part 3 of a three- or I guess five-part story; a definite conclusion, rather than a door closing one chapter and opening another. That mismatch of expectation and intention is part of what doomed JL from the beginning.

No, I don’t think the general audience would have cared if WB followed Marvel’s model. Quite the contrary — they were expecting it. I don’t intend to be dismissive (I am a DC fan, not a Marvel one), but it’s only DC and WB fans who think that what the MCU did was something to be avoided. The GA likes what Marvel did; they would not take issue with WB doing the same thing.

Now, I agree that not every character necessarily needed a solo film before the team up. That said, some characters did need that, particularly Aquaman. And I think it makes sense when you consider the things that define each character. Batman, Flash and Cyborg are defined by traumatic events that happened to them — they don’t require 2 hours of backstory to define them. In contrast, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are defined by journeys — they become who they are over time through the things they experience. Therefore, I think Aquaman needed a solo film before he was introduced, and I think his meager role in JL (as distinct from his meaty screen time) demonstrates this fact.

I also think that, given BvS’s constraints (namely, Superman’s death), JL really should have focused almost entirely on Superman’s return, rather than a relatively complex mother box/terraforming/Heggra plot. Avengers 1 succeeded by balancing the team-building and multiple characters with a relatively simple and straightforward plot, while both X-Men Apocalypse and Age of Ultron buckled under the weight of having to follow-up on existing characters, introduce new characters, and manage complex plots and villains. These films can’t do it all. And that, more than anything, is the argument for solo films.

As for Superman, I think the character is at the point where he would actually benefit from a team-up, as long as it’s a natural fit and not just based on the popularity of characters or actors.

I agree fully. But what I mean is that Superman isn’t the lone magical superhero in an otherwise ordinary world. He exists in a world with sci-fi breakthroughs and meta humans and supervillains. There’s a way to do that in a credible way. And that’s part of the solution to making a good Superman film.

I agree and think that Metropolis can have all that too. There's a lot of story to tell with Superman and Metropolis, in his own solo movies and we've barely begun to scratch the surface.

Superman:King of Heroes
There's been a sudden rise in the Metahuman Population. Young people who mysteriously developed powers.The Government wants them dead,The evil AI known as Braniac wants them as pawns.But Superman fights to protect them,and teaches them to use their powers for good.His dream to create a Legion of Superheroes.

Superman:King of Heroes
There's been a sudden rise in the Metahuman Population. Young people who mysteriously developed powers.The Government wants them dead,The evil AI known as Braniac wants them as pawns.But Superman fights to protect them,and teaches them to use their powers for good.His dream to create a Legion of Superheroes.

I can assume the young people would be the Shazam Family and that they would be targets of the United States government

Then I wonder if Kara/Supergirl will show up for this film

I agree and think that Metropolis can have all that too. There's a lot of story to tell with Superman and Metropolis, in his own solo movies and we've barely begun to scratch the surface.

Yeah, definitely. And I think the narrative weight will be lifted now that MoS, BvS and JL have thoroughly dealt with the concept of Superman as the lone “divine” savior. Now, hopefully, he can become a genuine superhero.

I do think that it’s going to be difficult for a Man of Steel 2 to launch off Justice League, or even BvS, because Superman’s character arc in those two films is pretty much resolved by the end of JL, and I’d rather them not dwell on it.

Instead, I think they need to go back to MOS and start getting into what it might mean for Superman to build a better world/embody the choice for every person to be a force for good. That’s a bit vague and idyllic right now, but I think putting Superman in a situation that is about stopping a more sophisticated threat to the people of Metropolis (or some portion of them) would be a good place to start the character out on a new journey.

Yeah, definitely. And I think the narrative weight will be lifted now that MoS, BvS and JL have thoroughly dealt with the concept of Superman as the lone “divine” savior. Now, hopefully, he can become a genuine superhero.

I do think that it’s going to be difficult for a Man of Steel 2 to launch off Justice League, or even BvS, because Superman’s character arc in those two films is pretty much resolved by the end of JL, and I’d rather them not dwell on it.

Instead, I think they need to go back to MOS and start getting into what it might mean for Superman to build a better world/embody the choice for every person to be a force for good. That’s a bit vague and idyllic right now, but I think putting Superman in a situation that is about stopping a more sophisticated threat to the people of Metropolis (or some portion of them) would be a good place to start the character out on a new journey.

Superman very simply helping the people of Metropolis from a villain like Brainiac, Metallo, Parasite or Toyman etc. I believe would do wonders for him. It would change the perception of him to general audiences, would open up Metropolis in fascinating ways, and make Superman fun, relevant and an interesting character again.

Superman very simply helping the people of Metropolis from a villain like Brainiac, Metallo, Parasite or Toyman etc. I believe would do wonders for him. It would change the perception of him to general audiences, would open up Metropolis in fascinating ways, and make Superman fun, relevant and an interesting character again.

I’d love to see Superman face off against a combination of Intergang, Metallo, and Morgan Edge (in a more traditional CEO Lex role), but with a focus on Superman having to rescue, defend, fight on behalf of innocent/oppressed civilians (e.g., in Suicide Slum). I think we’ve had enough focus on Superman’s internal struggles between Superman Returns, MOS and BvS. Superman at his best is a Superman fighting on behalf of specific others. There can always be a core part of the story about Superman himself (he ultimately comes back to his own identity and purpose), but the plot and threat should be focused on Metropolis residents, and not something as singular as one major bad guy.

I’d love to see him face off against Brainiac and other epic threats, but I still feel as though BvS presses pause on Superman’s character development to stick with the focus on a hostile world (he essentially has one character arc across MOS, BvS and JL, even though MOS kind of already resolved that arc). So I think he needs to get that final missing piece of actually fighting for truth and justice (in as non-corny a way as possible) before taking on the larger threats again.

I also think, more broadly, that one major thing that holds Superman back is that Metropolis is so one-dimensional (especially compared to a place like Gotham). That needs to change as well. I want to see the Man of Tomorrow in the City of Tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’d love to see Superman face off against a combination of Intergang, Metallo, and Morgan Edge (in a more traditional CEO Lex role), but with a focus on Superman having to rescue, defend, fight on behalf of innocent/oppressed civilians (e.g., in Suicide Slum). I think we’ve had enough focus on Superman’s internal struggles between Superman Returns, MOS and BvS. Superman at his best is a Superman fighting on behalf of specific others. There can always be a core part of the story about Superman himself (he ultimately comes back to his own identity and purpose), but the plot and threat should be focused on Metropolis residents, and not something as singular as one major bad guy.

I’d love to see him face off against Brainiac and other epic threats, but I still feel as though BvS presses pause on Superman’s character development to stick with the focus on a hostile world (he essentially has one character arc across MOS, BvS and JL, even though MOS kind of already resolved that arc). So I think he needs to get that final missing piece of actually fighting for truth and justice (in as non-corny a way as possible) before taking on the larger threats again.

I also think, more broadly, that one major thing that holds Superman back is that Metropolis is so one-dimensional (especially compared to a place like Gotham). That needs to change as well. I want to see the Man of Tomorrow in the City of Tomorrow.

Yeah I love your ideas your take on Clark/Kal-El/Superman for the sequel and it would be something to see Superman in Metropolis fighting crime being more of a crime fighter but at the same time maintaining the sci-fi fantasy aspect of the character and his world as well

I wonder if this film would be standalone or will they reference the shared universe in any way?

Obviously you want to build the DCEU up again and the perfect way to do that would be using this template of an idea of yours

However, I would incorporate the mid credits and post credits to build towards the future of the DCEU as well in this film

Call me cautiously optimistic, but with Cavill's talk recently and continued interest in playing the character, I'd be surprised if we didn't get even the most minor talk of a Man of Steel follow-up or something in the works with Clark at Comic-Con.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Call me cautiously optimistic, but with Cavill's talk recently and continued interest in playing the character, I'd be surprised if we didn't get even the most minor talk of a Man of Steel follow-up or something in the works with Clark at Comic-Con.

But hey, I could be wrong.

If a Man of Steel 2 is announced during Comic Con and it is actually confirmed to be a reality again then it begs the question of when they will release MOS2

If a Man of Steel 2 is announced during Comic Con and it is actually confirmed to be a reality again then it begs the question of when they will release MOS2

I don't think we'd be looking at anything in the near future.

Yeah probably a 2022 or 2023 release if anything

Agreed that enough time has been spent mostly focusing on Superman's internal struggle and wondering about his place in the world- it's about time they really show us what his place in the world actually is.

Metropolis can be an interesting, complex place. They could make the movie an intricate crime drama and it can be just as interesting as Gotham City, but with a different spin- more sci-fi elements, as you say the "City of Tomorrow".

Whoever they choose as the bad guy, as long as we see the struggles of the ordinary citizen and Superman helping them then it can work. I like the idea of seeing different levels of Metropolis, from gangs, to scientists, to the police, businessmen, politicians etc. A main bad guy can be connected to all these different levels too.

Yeah probably a 2022 or 2023 release if anything
What about something like 2021? Once it's got the green light why can't it get going. Look at WW2, it got the green light and release date pretty fast. There's nothing concrete for DC from 2020 so there's a lot of room there once an MOS2 is confirmed.

2020 or 2021 could work but I think we will probably end up waiting until 2022 to get MOS2...a full 9 years after MOS

Pull a Ragnarok and go cosmic. Bring on War World.

Nah. A Superman movie would (or at least should) take the setting and circumstances more seriously, which would make the films dissimilar enough to warrant their existences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"