Ideas for Man of Steel 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by BH/HHH, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Binker Registered

Question: how much of a backlash will it be if they made Supergirl a clone kinda like Superboy, if not is a sister to Superboy?

Because other than the obvious, the only other thing is a comparison/rip off criticism it would have with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from the MCU.

2. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

I guess the one major issue I'd have with that is that it's not something I'd want the writers of these movies to push their luck with. I mean, yeah, Doomsday's already out of the bag, and I could see whatever antagonist they use trying to improve on what Luthor did and coming up with something more along the lines of Conner or Bizarro. Past that, though, it runs the risk of becoming like the Transformers movies where apparently everything that happened in the history of humankind ever was the result of Transformers being on Earth in the past.

Frankly, I kind of like the idea that the process of cloning Kryptonian DNA even with the Genesis Chamber would have imperfections. Aside from the Scout Ship's computer warning Luthor, to me it's reminiscent of the one scene of "Alien Resurrection" that I liked, where Ripley 8 discovers what's left of the previous seven attempts that were made to clone the original Ripley to get the Alien. There's something I really just like about the idea that trying to clone Superman or any Kryptonian is bound to have end results that are at their rare best problematic, on average unpleasant, and at worst just plain horrific.

3. Binker Registered

That's not really the answer I'm looking for. I meant, if Supergirl was a clone in this universe, compared to her comic/DCTV version, would there be a backlash over this change?

4. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

Eh...I dunno. I suppose if you take Matrix (pre-Linda) into account then it's not exactly without precedent in the mythology itself, but then even precedents have never stopped fans from freaking out once the Hollywood folks show their hand. Hope for the best but expect the worst, for lack of a better answer.

Come to think of it, if I was gonna bring Supergirl into all this, THAT would probably be closer to the direction I would go in - some version of the Matrix/Linda Danvers Supergirl, if for no other reason than to keep her explicitly distinct from the TV version, though it would also track with the Byrne-era influences on the DCEU's Superman too. I would avoid making her another clone, though, and posit that Linda somehow gets imbued on the genetic level with a variant of the polymorphic tech that the Kryptonian robots employed in MOS - enabling her to possess a physiological mimicry ability that would enable her to have the powers of a Kryptonian, and if Brainiac's involved it could even be extended toward being able to mimic virtually any lifeform that Brainiac has catalogued over the years. I'm sure DC would hate it though, in view of the great lengths they've gone to to bury the memory of Matrix/Linda in favor of re-spinning the Silver Age for all eternity.

Oh, and on that note, with regard to Brainiac...if he ever does show up on cinema screens, I would actually appreciate it very much, WB, if we decided to bypass the whole "green man in glowing-pink jammies" bit (especially since "Krypton" has now already done it), and go for a Brainiac look that'd be WORTH putting on the big screen. Basically, either THIS...
    [​IMG]

...or THIS.
    [​IMG]
    I have to admit, in as much as I've harped in the past on many of the more radical New 52 redesigns (even though that isn't technically what it is, in this case), Brainiac's initial "incarnation" in the New 52 is one I actually dig...partially because I think it's kind of cheap to have every alien race in a live-action universe somehow humanoid and therefore conveniently portrayable by a person in a rubber or CGI suit, and partially because I find something delightfully karmic about it: an inversion of your typical mean little bully of a kid who spends his bright, hot summer days torturing small insects with a magnifying glass.

#204 Jochimus, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Because nobody is going to cry Ultron...

6. BH/HHH You Are My World

Calling the version from Krypton the green man in pink glowing pyjamas makes me think that Jochimus needs glasses. He had pink lights but his costume was BLACK and IMO they went with the definitive look for Brainiac.

[​IMG]

7. unholyrevenger DC is Doomed by its fans

I love it but... Too much like MoS & BvS in that the story revolves around what the world thinks of Superman it's effect on him and the powerful people who have the means and motivation to ruin Supes' day, so in the end commercially un-viable.

he will destroy it and bottle a city as a trophy, if earth collectively doesn't fight him off. He see his method as euthanasia, it's better for the worlds to die a quick death in battle than to die slowly tearing itself apart. So this sets up a sequel or reappearance where after the league sends him packing he feels earth hasn't learned it lesson because it's protective gods defeated him, not humanity.

#207 unholyrevenger, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. WarriorDreamer Registered

I definitely don't think the title should be Man of Steel 2. Since BvS was sort of like a sequel, I think it should have another title.

9. Binker Registered

I have a title idea that I strongly think it should be this film's title:

IT'S SUPERMAN!

10. DerekLake Build a better world

I think “Superman [Insert Year]” would be simple but effective, but I’d rather have “Man of Tomorrow” or “The Man of Tomorrow.” Thematically, I think it’s time for them to lean into what Superman actually wants to accomplish (what does he actually stand for?) rather than the potential threat his alien powers pose to the world.

11. BH/HHH You Are My World

They’re not going to call it a Man if Steel 2. I honestly think it’ll be Superman or maybe even Superman Rebirth.

12. Binker Registered

it's superman!

13. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Cannot see any way it will be MoS 2. Superman Rebirth I could go with :up:

14. Binker Registered

I want it to be called It's Superman!

15. Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

I want to see the word "Tomorrow" worked in there somehow. Supes as a hero who wants to evolve the world beyond the status quo.

Superman: For Tomorrow. Simple and cool.

16. Binker Registered

Superman Tomorrow?

17. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I like...

Superman

Superman: Up in the Sky

or something really old-school and pulpy like Superman & the Reign of Brainiac!

18. BH/HHH You Are My World

The more I think about it the more I think Superman Rebirth is what they’ll go with. I really think the next Superman will be like a soft reboot with only Cavill remaining from the current cast.

19. manofsteel4life Registered

I would think they would definitely keep Amy and Diane if the story calls for them at least.....Amy I believe most definitely though

20. BH/HHH You Are My World

I’d like that but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I just have this feeling that they’ll want to promote that this is a fresh start for Superman and with that I can see some recasting.

21. Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

I'm not a big fan of the robotic "metal skeleton with a big head" Brainiac design. It feels a bit Metallo-esque, and if they were to ever actually do Metallo, it'd possibly rule out the Terminator look, which is him at his best, imo. I say they go green and organic, with the ol' ports in his head that plug him to the ship. They don't even need to add clothing. Just a tall, freakishly lanky Voldemort-esque naked alien. Cable ports all over.

[​IMG]

22. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I like "Up in the Sky." I'd love to see a title (and a film) that embraces the wonder that Superman first inspired as a hero. I believe there are ways of capturing that without just trying to copy what Richard Donner did.

23. DerekLake Build a better world

Hard to see how they’d keep Cavill and ditch the rest if a fresh start is what they really want. Amy and Diane are hardly the things anyone criticizes about Snyder’s Superman. If anything, it’s Henry Cavill who’s unfortunately received that criticism.

I think it’d be sufficient for them to change the tone of the story and avoid the predominant nighttime or overcast atmosphere both MOS and BvS went for. I think many people underestimate how much that affected the perception of tone (which in turn has influenced how many have regarded those films).

The other thing that would mark a fresh start would be shifting the focus and theme of the Superman character and presenting him as a superhero rather than a demigod. I know many people really like the weighty approach taken by Nolan/Goyer and Snyder/Terrio, but Superman would probably do well not to have as great a weight as modern-day God the Son. World’s Greatest Superhero would do wonders as a clean break from the past.

I do think there is a need for a fresh start, which is why I’d rather the next Superman film also bring in some other supporting characters who can better help round out the character, which to me means a Metropolis-focused story. In terms of fresh starts, that’s about as fresh as you could get with this iteration of Superman, considering the national and global scale the past three films have taken. And I think rooting the character in Metropolis (which hasn’t been done yet) would help to better set him up for future films by broadening and defining the things he cares about and the goals he is actually pursuing.

24. Binker Registered

I really want the Brainiac design to be the one from Convergence, here's why: I had a tough time with the Brainiac designs, because they want to eb scary yet they always hold back, and Brainiac, especially in the DCEU, should be scary. Less supervillian in appearance, and more frightening, alien, and a monster. Something to put him up there with the likes of Alien, or Predator, and looking at all the designs, that one fit the bill. It also fits because for a guy with a skull ship, you'd expect the man/alien inside to fit that visual. Plus, common sense would say to go a different different from the Johns/Frank design, as that's in Krypton. So I pick and want this design.

It fits my pitch for the DCEU Brainiac ;)

25. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I think it’d be cool if it takes place in a shrunken Metropolis and we get some new blood in the supporting cast like Jimmy, Cat, and John Henry Irons, played by fun and likeable actors (I would take a break from Lois and Martha for at least one film). Have the story be all about Supes leading the people of the city for weeks/months while they figure out a way to escape, perhaps turning to the only one capable of helping them, Lex.

I don’t think discarding Cavill is entirely necessary so long as the new film doesn’t look or feel like the crap that came before. Look at the success of Logan and Deadpool after Xmen Origins. For Deadpool, I think a part of the success was due to fans wanting to see the character and the actor playing him done justice, and I think Cavill could enjoy the same support.

That all being said, I’d be fine with a recast too.