Guardians of the Galaxy Ideas for opening the film

Thanos sends Gamora to earth to investigate it after the events of The Avengers. Her spacecraft is intercepted in the atmosphere by hotshot SWORD pilot, Peter Quill (assuming the logline is correct about Quill being a pilot rather than an astronaut). This leads to an aerial chase scene reminiscent of Independence Day. Peter ends up abducted, and in a space prison where he meets Drax, Rocket, and Groot.

I would begin with an alien close encounter story that combines the Quill and Drax origin stories. The film would start with a young couple getting ready for the arrival of her sister's family. They discuss how their lives have changed since he "dropped into" her life. She tells him that she is pregnant. He wonders out loud how that is even possible, and she laughs and tells him she can't wait to finally see Yvette's baby.

The action cuts to a family driving in a rural area with a newborn baby strapped in a car seat. He points out the moon to his daughter, and then sees a large object cutting in front of it and starts to pursue the car. The car crashes - the woman is killed and the man is badly injured. An enormous figure approaches the car to "finish the job", but hesitates killing the infant when the read outs on his analyzer go crazy. He grabs the infant and the badly injured man and carries them inboard his vessel. We see a young raccoon and a sapling as the two members of the Douglas family are brought on board the ship.

The action then cuts back to the couple. The man says "they've found us", and holds the woman back as she makes her way to the door. He tells her to stay hidden - she must protect the baby. He grabs a futuristic weapon and attempts to draw the intruder away, but is cut down. The visitor enters the small house while the woman huddles in fear, but ends up killing a mouse he finds after lifting up the bed. The alien takes off in his ship while the woman rubs her belly. Cue the opening credits

The film starts out with Peter Quill as a child. We get a little early insight into what makes the character tick and we see his mother get killed by aliens and him vowing to find a way into space. Flash forward to the present and Quill is a fighter pilot for the USAF. He gets the opportunity to participate in a NASA space mission and takes it. The space station that Quill and his crew is on gets trapped in a sudden astronomical storm and are transported to another galaxy. Quill is the only survivor and is saved by an entity known as the Master of the Sun, who gives him the mantle of Star-Lord.

Drax begins the film captured by Gamora, who is working for Thanos.

Geh, I'm glad I'm not the one writing the script for this. This is hard to adapt.

5) Quill is an astronaut exploring deep space as a precursor to a mission to Mars. We see the crew run through their normal routine. All is quiet, and boring. Suddenly, two alien vessels emerge from hyperspace and start attacking each other in a full on space battle. The ship being chased collides into the small earth vessel, destroying it and killing everyone on board except for Peter...who is launched into space, badly hurt and barely alive. The collision disables part of the alien ship, allowing it to be captured. The pursuing vessel belongs to an intergalactic police force, the Star Lords. The Star Lords rescue Peter and fit him with cybernetic implants to save his life.

These implants greatly enhance his mental functions and physical abilities. He is smarter and and now has a nearly perfect photographic memory (unlocking memories from his early childhood, which begin to trouble him). His mind can interact with wireless networks and computers. His vision is enhanced through an ocular implant (telescopic, microscopic, thermal, augmented reality). His heart, lungs, entire right arm/shoulder, and left hand are bionic. Given that his implants are experimental and highly classified, and belong to the Star Lords, they give him the choice to join their ranks, or have the implants removed...which would certainly kill him. Peter decides to train as a Star Lord. The captured prisoners are Drax, Groot, and Rocket Racoon. Peter has some interactions with the new prisoners.

Training as a Star Lord is fairly easy since the information is downloaded directly into Peter's brain through the implants.

As the Star Lords transport the new prisoners their ship is approached by Gamora's. Gamora wants them to hand over the prisoners to Thanos but the Star Lords refuse. This leads to an epic space battle. The Star Lord's ship is destroyed and almost everyone is killed. Peter escapes in a small spacecraft with Drax, Groot, and Racoon....who have convinced him that they are actually good.

Last edited:
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there were these Guardians...."

No. Wait.

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages"

STOP IT

"In the year 1987, NASA launched the last of America's deep space probes. Aboard this compact starship, a lone astronaut, Captain Peter Quill, was to experience cosmic forces...."

DAMMIT TO HEL

It should establish the villain of the movie (Thanos, the Church, Skrulls, whatever) and then set-up Peter on Earth.

As for the rest of the Guardians, they shouldn't know each other (besides Rocky/Groot), but they should all be going after Thanos or the gems. Gamora and Drax would be doing that for obvious reasons, while Groot and Rocky would be bounty hunters/fortune seekers

Not exactly an opening, but somewhere in the first act, as Quill is meeting the team and learning who Thanos is, we could have a humorous exchange like this:

Drax finishes a grim explanation about Thanos, and how his sole mission in life is to destroy him, then Peter then turns to Gamora and says "What about you? What's your grudge against Thanos?" She responds back, without missing a beat, "He's my father."

I can't decide if I'd like to see the team already assemebled from the get go with minor backstory of each in act 1 in order to tell as much story as then can for acts 2&3 with as much time as possible. Or if I'd rather them not know each other but all have a similar goal and team up over the course of the movie (kind of how the Avengers did).

It should start with a debriefing scene, like in the comics. A cold opening where each person sitting in a chair talking to the camera while their name and rank is displayed.

Marvel and Disney logos
Fade to black
Cut to
Quill: Well, I don't know where to start--
Cut to
Gamora: I told them it wasn't going to end well--
Cut to
Rocket: First of all, let me get it on record I had it under control until that bloody--
Cut to
Drax: I did it because no one else would--
Cut to
Groot: I AM GROOT
Cut to
Stark: I can't do this without a drink *stands up and walks off view*
Cut to a pretty nebula background in space
Flying in from long away towards the camera in giant typeface: "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" along with fanfare music que
Cut to black
In slightly smaller text: "Two weeks earlier..."

Last edited:
It should start with a debriefing scene, like in the comics. A cold opening where each person sitting in a chair talking to the camera while their name and rank is displayed.

Marvel and Disney logos
Fade to black
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Rocket: First of all, let me get it on record I had it under control until that bloody--
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Flying in from long away towards the camera in giant typeface: "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" along with fanfare music que
Cut to black

I like that, minus the Stark part.. give me that Marvel!!

Marvel and Disney logos
Fade to black
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to black

I love the idea!!!!!

the very first scene, just before the title GOTG is shown... zoom up and onto a seriously built green man drinking a beer. next to him is a tree, who he's talking to.

zoom out, recognise the interior is a type of space ship. you hear a heavy thump, then see a well armed racoon run in, saying something about another ship hitting them. the green man while starting to run, asks "is it them?" to which the racoon replies no.

they get to a place in their ship where another ship has crashes into their hull. while they ready their guns, a human astronaut climbs out wearing a clear helmet.

rocket racoon exclaims "what the **** is that!&!&!&!

The comic started with a large short of space, that said GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.
Then it cut to Earth and the arrival of Quill's father on Earth. He meets Quill's mother. He is injured,
she helps him get better and fix his ship. But because of who he is he must leave, he asks
her to come with him, but she cannot. Then as he is leaving she realizes she is pregnant.
Smash cut to years later, Quill is now a man, leading the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians-of-The-Galaxy-1-preview-inks.jpg

Guardians-of-The-Galaxy-0.1-Steve-McNiven.jpg

Guardians-of-The-Galaxy-1-preview-art.jpg
The next page he leaves on his ship.

It had a very cinematic opening to it. Like Star Wars or something.

But like Iron man 2 maybe it would be important to include the scene of Thanos from the Avengers
to remind the audience who he is. But maybe not as an opening scene (or maybe as a short opening
scene before the movie actually starts.)

Last edited:

Marvel and Disney logos
Fade to black
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to
Cut to black

This would be such a great opening!

Hehe, we can OFFICIALLY put all those 'Stark meeting up with the Guardians' rumors to rest. :)

Hehe, we can OFFICIALLY put all those 'Stark meeting up with the Guardians' rumors to rest. :)

I know!

(I loved the Gemini suit but I don't remember seeing it in the damn film!)

I know!

(I loved the Gemini suit but I don't remember seeing it in the damn film!)
To all: Sorry to sidetrack the discussion with IM3 talk... we'll keep it brief, I promise. :)
Neither do I. I think Shane Black could've indulged a wee bit more fan service and focus on some of the individual suits, their specific features, etc.

Why? What did I miss?
IM3, possibly? :)

Just to explain... the rumor du jour a couple of months back was that the post-credits scene for IM3 would feature him taking off into space in his Deep Space armor to meet up with one or more of the Guardians. This is not true.

i think the movie needs to start with quill on earth

Start with Quill on a secret mission, gone wrong. He's in trouble, ship hurdling through space, he's being told there's nothing they can do. He's fully expecting to die and tragic death. He suddenly gets sucked into a vortex. All power to the ship is lost as he reappears across the galaxy. His ship is floating lifelessly with limited life support. Fade to black.

TITLE BLOCK

He awakens, groggy, while a a raccoon in a space suit stands over him, staring at him with a look of intrigue......

I agree it needs to start on Earth -- with the possible exception of an in media res teaser like the one mentioned above (sans Stark), that quickly cuts back to Earth to show us how it started.

Do we know how official that logline was from back whenever? Because it seemed from that, that Quill was going to be a pilot rather than an astronaut. I know, technically most astronauts *are* pilots, but it seems like if they were going the astronaut route, they would have called it that.

I was initially disappointed by that downgrade, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense (in terms of grounding the character) to have him be a pilot -- especially given the current lack of manned spacecraft in the U.S. If Quill were a spacecraft pilot before leaving Earth, they'd basically have to introduce a whole new Earth-based spacecraft de novo, just to use in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie and throw away, which just seems a bit awkward.

I do wonder how he ends up in space, though. My bet is on an abduction, but why? And by whom? Thanos? Gamora? The Kree? Nova Corps? The Collector? The Collector's "aide"?

just an idea from the cantina pic.

we start in the cantina with some or all of the gotg, then they get into a fight. turns into a huge barfight. quill could say something cheesy like "it's gonna be one of those days". then as aliens get ko'd and the fight is ending the camera pans out a window. which turns out to be knowhere, the celestial head. this lets the audience know it's gonna be one of those movies. meaning a very sci-fi movie.

made a teaser with the pic and the celestial head i made.

[YT]8Kw5_n13hnM[/YT]

Marvel LOGO

Voiceover: "It happened almost 20 years ago but I can't get over it. You know how they say some things you never forget? Well, whatever Einstein came up with that "grain of wisdom" forgot to mention that those things ... well sometimes, those things don't forget you either ...

(A young Peter Quill is shown coming home one day from a rough day at school. He beat up a bully for teasing a classmate just like the GOTG 0.1 issue. He is going up to wash up after having an argument with his mom when the Badoon land and kill his mother.

This whole opening sequence will be straight up horror. Mr. Gunn will shine here! Peter ends up killing the aliens with a shotgun or the gun that was left by his father. He runs out of the house in shock just to be confronted by the alien vessel as in the recent concept art. The Badoon inside the alien vessel are about to blow him away when they get orders to take Peter prisoner instead.

Voiceover: "After 20 years I'm really REALLY beginning to hate this cosmic stuff." Or maybe for a slightly more serious tone, "In the mirror I'm just Peter Quill some kid who never had father and barely had a mother. But to everyone else I'm Star-Lord. Ain't that a thing?"

Queue Guardians music theme and Title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"