If Joel Schumacher made other comic films..

1-Batman Forver was successful, & even I like it more than not. I tend to overlook the campy aspects. But it was more a blend of the 40's era Caped Crusader & the Dark Knight. Batman & Robin, however, was pure camp & we really should've seen it coming.
2-there IS a definitive Batman. If nothing else, w/DC rewriting history as much as they do, the light version never happened. And how can you defend it when the movie that showcased them is widely held as the worst film in the history of the genre? Obviously I'm not alone in my thinking or we wouldn't have "Batman Begins". Just because there were comics with these aspects doesn't mean it's the proper treatment of the character.
3-Cold kills plants. My point? Ivy & Freeze working together is moronic.

GL's Light said:
Yeah, Batman Forever was a smash hit with the general public. Frankly, if Schumacher had maintained the tone of Forever through into B & R he'd probably still be making Batman sequels today. But he pushed B & R so far into campy jokiness that it turned everyone off - Batman fans and the general public alike.
Again, we should've seen it coming. B & R took everything wrong w/BF and blew it up times 100.

Chris Wallace said:
2-there IS a definitive Batman. If nothing else, w/DC rewriting history as much as they do, the light version never happened. And how can you defend it when the movie that showcased them is widely held as the worst film in the history of the genre? Obviously I'm not alone in my thinking or we wouldn't have "Batman Begins". Just because there were comics with these aspects doesn't mean it's the proper treatment of the character.

But don't you see, Batman is a gritty vigilante in the comics right now. DC want him dark right now. When the tastes of readers change, he'll become more of a superhero, more of a detective, lighter, even darker, weirder, whatever. Batman evolves to suit the times. That's why he's lasted so long.

I know you probably hate the Adam West TV show, but if it wasn't for the success of that, the comicbook would have been cancelled.

Who decides whatthe definitive Batman is? Because you'll get a different answer frome very single person you ask (or could ask). Bob Kane. Bill Finger. Frank Miller. Tim Burton. Dennis O'Neill. Neal Adams. And so on.

I'm fine with seeing different takes on Batman, and I think Batman allows for a remarkable variety in the number of possible styles a film adaptation could take. But no matter which approach a filmmaker takes he should deliver a good film. Batman Forever is a reasonably good film, Batman & Robin is dreck. There's a way to make a light adventure Batman film that could be damned good - but Schumacher didn't deliver it.

Kevin Roegele said:
But don't you see, Batman is a gritty vigilante in the comics right now. DC want him dark right now. When the tastes of readers change, he'll become more of a superhero, more of a detective, lighter, even darker, weirder, whatever. Batman evolves to suit the times. That's why he's lasted so long.

I know you probably hate the Adam West TV show, but if it wasn't for the success of that, the comicbook would have been cancelled.

Who decides whatthe definitive Batman is? Because you'll get a different answer frome very single person you ask (or could ask). Bob Kane. Bill Finger. Frank Miller. Tim Burton. Dennis O'Neill. Neal Adams. And so on.
1-I do hate the TV show, & at the same time respect it for what it was AT THE TIME. Damn what they wrote 60 years ago, when Bob Kane had left the book. One thing should remain consistent; He's a man driven by a grim obsession, seeking justice for the senseless murder of his parents. That doesn't leave much room for the happy-go-lucky goofball we saw in 1997.

if he creates another comic book movie the way he did the piece of crap Batman and Robin movie I'll shoot myself in the head and pray he never makes another one as cheesy and full of crap like the last Batman movie. He ruined Batman for everyone and made a mockery of the icon and esp Robin.

I think Bale said it best; there are 2 ways to do Batman. 1 is to completely send it up, like they did in the 60's. The other is to take a totally serious approach. The real problem w/B & R is it tried to do both, in the wake of 2 & 3/4 serious films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"