Justice League If Joss Whedon had been attached at the start...

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Suppose that WB did fire Zack Snyder in the wake of the critical and audience drubbing over BvS before production on JL started. They hire Joss Whedon to rewrite the script and direct, delaying the production for 2-3 months.

Assuming that he had to keep the major set pieces and Snyder's cast, would that version of JL gone over better? Would a sequel be fast-tracked?

Asking for a friend..

Last edited:
Had they delayed JL’s filming and given Joss ample time to rework or just write a completely new script, we absolutely would have gotten something better than we did.

No one was gonna come in here and succeed under the kind of conditions WB had set for any filmmaker that would be inheriting this mess.

We definitely would've gotten something I could call a movie. I was not fond of Whedon's additions to Justice League, but I know that if he had more time and not just three months, he would've given us something much more enjoyable.

I think if Whedon filmed this movie from start to finish much like the Snyder cut we would've had a more complete movie. I also believe much like he tried to do with Justice League movie we did get he would've tried to at least make it more faithful to what came before. While still making it his own thing. However I believe this would've been the case with any of the directors involved. I also believe that we would've had a better score to the movie instead of recycled music from the old movies given more time.

Of course the flipside is the budget would have gone out of control had Whedon even been allowed 6-7 months as opposed to 3.

One way would have been to keep Zack Snyder's movie as it was intended to be, just at the time he left, with just one change.. a cliffhanger ending leading to JL Part 2 written and directed by Joss Whedon.

It would have been a huge risk but the end result might have been more satisfying.

Last edited:
I also believe that we would've had a better score to the movie instead of recycled music from the old movies given more time.

I think Elfman’s score would have stayed the same. Quoting Williams and Zimmer’s themes isn’t recycling music, he put thought into the placement and arrangements.

If you want a case of a movie recycling previous music, TDKR and AOU are guilty as sin. Score wise, they’re a big mess.

Ironically, he scored some of the tracks for the latter.

Had Elfman's score stayed the same, it would still be a detriment. His score was so tone deaf and non-impactful that it actually diminished the effect certain scenes were supposed to have.

That's a lot of what iffs , man.

What if Nolan didn't choose Snyder himself? What if Affleck coming off The Town decided to direct his version of MOS? No Batfleck, I suppose.

What if a giant planet or rock didn't hit the ''earth'', would we be here or would be ninja turtle type freaks? What if Ryan Gosling has taken on the role as Joker in Suicide Squad? Most would say no tatts, but it was his idea to have all them awful tattoos in the film 'The Place Beyond The Pines', his idea to have them fake tears under his eye. And if John Connor don't send his future pops back in time then he aint born in the first place, but now they changed that.

That's a lot of what iffs , man.

What if Nolan didn't choose Snyder himself? What if Affleck coming off The Town decided to direct his version of MOS? No Batfleck, I suppose.

What if a giant planet or rock didn't hit the ''earth'', would we be here or would be ninja turtle type freaks? What if Ryan Gosling has taken on the role as Joker in Suicide Squad? Most would say no tatts, but it was his idea to have all them awful tattoos in the film 'The Place Beyond The Pines', his idea to have them fake tears under his eye. And if John Connor don't send his future pops back in time then he aint born in the first place, but now they changed that.

Dude, I just asked a single hypothetical question.

Dude, I just asked a single hypothetical question.

You can't ask one what if question without changing the entire time line of events. We would end up with Aquaman almost making out with his mam and stuff. I was also just me joking around. Eh. :o

Bottom line is it would've been a much more satisfying product, no question. Hell, I'm sure some of the dialogue and quips we saw and rag on Whedon for Whedon ain't even happy with himself. He probably just did not have time to properly write and edit and vet everything to see what works and what doesn't. I think if Joss had a solid 6 months to reshoot and re-edit the movie and no runtime restrictions, we would've gotten a solid 2hr 30 min product with no cgi moustache issues.

Not much better than Snyder-Whedon abomination we got or his two Avengers' films (yeah the first sucks, the second is better).

Ironically, he scored some of the tracks for the latter.

Had Elfman's score stayed the same, it would still be a detriment. His score was so tone deaf and non-impactful that it actually diminished the effect certain scenes were supposed to have.

You would rather have Junkie XL's pounding drums and droning strings? When Snyder was pushed off JL and Whedon came on, the latter either pushed for Elfman or WB was looking to shed the dark and brooding sound of the Snyderverse.

Elfman's score was one of the best things about JL, he elevated the movie and made it fun. He was able to give emotional punch to an uneven movie.

You'd probably complain about Elfman's score even if JL was 100% Whedon's movie. Elfman's style has changed and Whedon likes working with him. His style is different than Zimmer or XL, deal with it.

See, this is where subjectivity comes into play. You obviously don't like Junkie's and Zimmer's scores while praising Elfman's score, and that's perfectly fine.

As for your question, yes. That's how I honestly feel. At least the tracks those two composed had some amount of emotion or pumping energy to them. And I love Elfman's work. Dude's composed some of my favorites scores, but I'm allowed to not like his JL score if I felt it didn't deliver.

It seems like you should "deal with" people have differing opinions than you and not be condescending about it.

Last edited:
Elfman is one of my favorite composers of all time and his Batman ,89 score is a top competitor for my favorite movie soundtrack of all time.

With that said, Elfman’s JL score was so forgettable. There’s no theme, there’s no recurring motifs, there were no big fist pumping resounding marches playing during the big superheroic moments. Like, when Batman came charging out of the hangar in the batmobile and starting slaying prademons, that Batman ‘89 march should have been cranked up at full volume and played for a solid 30 seconds so that the audiences FEELS it and feels adrenalized. Instead it was a quick and sterile needle drop that you could barely hear. That stuff is so important in superhero movies.

The main thing (for fans) was the continuity of (musical) themes and score with added tracks that naturally fit in the universe as the movie was part of Snyder's trilogy.

Instead of blending in, Elfman decided to completely ignore what came before (Zimmer-Junkie's work) and his score sounded jarring. I liked his Flash track and that of hero's journey but that's all. Oh, and this music by Elfman in the DC Intro.

I mean, my thing was if theyre gonna get rid of the prior Zimmer/Junkie themes and motifs —fine. Give us something just as good or better then. I was actually all for Elfman recycling the older Batman and Superman classic themes but there were barely PRESENT! If you’re going to use them then USE them. Use them to full effect, make them count.

Eh, only thing memorable about Elfman's JL work were the recycled tunes. That says a lot imo.

At any rate, Joss probably could've made a better movie but I'd probably be just an uninterested in it by the end.

elfman's soundtrack was one of the worse things about JL, imo.

and i'm a fan of his work in other movies - batman and raimi spiderman? awesome, awesome soundtracks.

wb studios should've let zack finish the movie as is.

or if they were so unsatisfied by bvs's reception, they should've removed zack from the beginning and let joss make JL, instead of doing it right before they reached the finish line.

Last edited:
It could have been better. He was interested in writing and directing Batgirl, but I don't know about Justice League.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"