If Matthew Vaughn directed X3, would it be better film?

Reaction score
Probably yes and I imagine it getting a 60% to 70% rating at the rotten tomatoes.com but the story would still be the same.

Definitely! I think the story would of been different too.

Vaughn left because he felt rushed. I wish they would of just waited.. Cyclops wouldn't of gotten killed off and Singer might of come back.

How do you know Cyclops wouldn't have been killed?

I didn't mind The Last Stand except for two things: the way they ended Professor X's storyline(I'd actually rather have him dead then transfer his mind into someone else) and how Rogue took the cure. Granted, Roge's storyline kind of went full circle, but she was still a crucial element of the X-Men. Everything else, I enjoyed. We got Beast, Angel, Colossus and Iceman. Which makes me happy that we got the mutants that I am a fan of.

How do you know Cyclops wouldn't have been killed?

Because Marsden(Cyclops) had scheduling conflicts (Superman Returns) and his role had to be reduced when X3 was rushed into production.

So theoretically if they waited for Singer to finish SR then Marsden should of also been available. Then again other actors might not of been available if they did wait so it's kind of a catch 22 maybe , idk.

Would it still have had the exact same script/plot? If yes, maybe. I really didn't like how Phoenix was made into a subplot.

Also, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut was awful casting, and that was by Vaughn.

Because Marsden(Cyclops) had scheduling conflicts (Superman Returns) and his role had to be reduced when X3 was rushed into production.

So theoretically if they waited for Singer to finish SR then Marsden should of also been available. Then again other actors might not of been available if they did wait so it's kind of a catch 22 maybe , idk.

Well, if Singer stayed on X3, then perhaps someone else would've been the director for Superman Returns as well as maybe James would've still been tapped as White's son(don't even remember what his name was, haha). If Marsden can jump ships so quickly, I think he'd do the same even if Singer wasn't directing, imo. It's all about money for a lot of these actors.

Would it still have had the exact same script/plot? If yes, maybe. I really didn't like how Phoenix was made into a subplot.

Yes, the story, imo, was fine. It could've used some expansion perhaps, but overall, there was nothing really wrong with the story at all. I even prefer the Phoenix outcome than what Singer wanted.

Plus...Jones as Juggernaut was awesome, haha. "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!"....may be a VERY cheesy and VERY corny line, but I loved it, lol.

Jason Flemyng stated in a recent interview that he had done screen tests, etc. for "Beast" when Vaughn was attached to the project. I'll see if I can find the interview. Would have been interesting to see Flemyng in that role.

I would love to see Vaughn's story. He boarded the whole thing out before he left.

I think it would have been a better movie because it would have probably been a better made film. I don't really blame Ratner for character deaths, but there are some creative decisions I do blame him for (Rogue getting cured I heard he advocated, everyone else disagreed, Wolverine's awful we stand together speech, as opposed to the deleted version, etc) but more importantly, the direction is mediocre. The way the story is told doesn't have much life to it. More eye candy than heart. I think Vaughn's version would of had more heart to it, and if the character deaths were in it you probably would have felt something more than anger. I feel more when Xavier
is paralyzed in First Class
than when Xavier
dies in X3.
There I just felt angry.

Yes, because Vaughn is a better director than Brett Ratner.

It would have looked better and felt less generic, because Vaughn is an infinitely more skilled director than Ratner, but ultimately it's the script that determines a movie's quality, and Zak Penn is an awful writer.

Most other directors could have made a better X3...

We will never know. Vaughn had his chance, and he bailed. So asking this question is completely pointless.

It would have looked better and felt less generic, because Vaughn is an infinitely more skilled director than Ratner, but ultimately it's the script that determines a movie's quality, and Zak Penn is an awful writer.

Simon Kinberg is the awful writer

The story remains similar, but it played out differently. It has more soul. I could tell you some of the differences.

- Alcatraz wasn't a facility that develops a cure. It is a prison that holds dangerous mutants. Magneto did not use golden gate bridge to take the mutants to destroy the facility, all just to kill a boy like in the movie (how dramatic). The bridge was supposed to carry the freed mutants, including Mystique back to the main land. When he found Mystique, she was cured. They both have emotional conversation and she asks him to kill her in which he does . You can find story board of some of these scenes in Fantastic 4 DVD special preview feature.

- Rogue didn't bother about the cure, but joined brotherhood. She, however turned out to be a spy and reported the plan back to X-mansion.

- Collossus was sent to Germany to look for Nightcrawler and convinces him to help them fight. He declines to be involved and chose the life in monastery. This is his supposed brief appearance which they decide to drop.

- Beast, Kitty and Iceman infiltrates Worthington lab to rescue Jimmy. This scene will especially shows Kitty and Beast's acrobatic power.

- The final scene was supposed to take place at Washington DC. You can see the deleted scene in which the jet lands on frozen lake near White house.

- There is supposed to be a mutant prostitute, who uses pheromone to get what she wants. (replaced by Arclight)

- Cyclops would not appear and only be mentioned as having left the mansion or committed suicide earlier.

- Angel is supposed to have much smaller wings

- Cat Beast

- Storm de-powered and Iceman taking a lead

- Logan and Storm has passionate relationship ( This, I'm glad didn't happen)

- 40 minutes longer (confirmed by Matthew)

The story remains similar, but it played out differently. It has more soul. I could tell you some of the differences.

- Alcatraz wasn't a facility that develops a cure. It is a prison that holds dangerous mutants. Magneto did not use golden gate bridge to take the mutants to destroy the facility, all just to kill a boy like in the movie (how dramatic). The bridge was supposed to carry the freed mutants, including Mystique back to the main land. When he found Mystique, she was cured. They both have emotional conversation and she asks him to kill her in which he does . You can find story board of some of these scenes in Fantastic 4 DVD special preview feature.

- Rogue didn't bother about the cure, but joined brotherhood. She, however turned out to be a spy and reported the plan back to X-mansion.

- Collossus was sent to Germany to look for Nightcrawler and convinces him to help them fight. He declines to be involved and chose the life in monastery. This is his supposed brief appearance which they decide to drop.

- Beast, Kitty and Iceman infiltrates Worthington lab to rescue Jimmy. This scene will especially shows Kitty and Beast's acrobatic power.

- The final scene was supposed to take place at Washington DC. You can see the deleted scene in which the jet lands on frozen lake near White house.

- There is supposed to be a mutant prostitute, who uses pheromone to get what she wants. (replaced by Arclight)

- Cyclops would not appear and only be mentioned as having left the mansion or committed suicide earlier.

- Cat Beast

I like everything except the bolded. Cyclops needed to have a prominent role in X3. I think just replacing alot of the Wolverine scenes with Cyclops scenes would have made the movie much better. Imagine Cyclops going to confront Jean and Magneto in the woods instead of a rehash of Wolverine scenes we've seen in the previous films. Magneto and Cyclops could have actually of had a little battle instead of Wolverine just being tossed aside.

And how about Wolverine being the one to tell Cyclops that they might need to kill Jean. Two different men that love the same woman trying to come to terms with what's happening. Much better than Storm telling Wolverine that he needs to kill Jean. Why does Storm want to kill her? Why does she think she's beyond saving?

I think Magneto using the bridge to free his people was a great idea and would have fit better than going to kill Leech. Why kill him? He's a mutant they should have just taken him with them. But the bridge scene could have been like Moses parting the red sea, it could have been very powerful.

Vaughn left because he felt rushed. I wish they would of just waited.. Cyclops wouldn't of gotten killed off and Singer might of come back.

Killing off Cyclops happened under Vaughn's watch in the script that he wrote with Kinberg and Penn... sooo...

Considering that most of the script was written under Vaughn's watch, then yes, it pretty much would have been the same script / plot.

Killing off Cyclops happened under Vaughn's watch in the script that he wrote with Kinberg and Penn... sooo...

Well by the time Vaughn was involved maybe they knew Marsden was signed for Superman Returns and wouldn't be as available. Also they could of changed the script once they found out. I've not read Vaughn's script but my point was that I would of preferred they waited for Singer. I don't blame them Fox studios in their decision but if Singer was able to come back I would of been happier.

honestly if Cyclops was ever essential to the plot of X3, then they studio could've replaced Marsden with another actor...they replaced Kitty 3 times, they could've did it for X3, truth is the character was never a big part of the films...

Well by the time Vaughn was involved maybe they knew Marsden was signed for Superman Returns and wouldn't be as available. Also they could of changed the script once they found out. I've not read Vaughn's script but my point was that I would of preferred they waited for Singer. I don't blame them Fox studios in their decision but if Singer was able to come back I would of been happier.

Fox has problem reuniting the cast for X3 that even before the production began, they had plan to end the series and he spin off for Wolverine was planned. This is why Wolverine was the main and only one stand out in the movie (check out the deleted scenes with Iceman).

They didn't even wanna include Cyclops because they want Wolverine to be the one that fixed all the problem. I'm glad they chose to kill him off, however offscreen. Having him committed suicide was far more stupid !

Same goes for Mystique, they could have cast any model in her place, but what will she actually do the movie ? standing beside Magneto and be a hench woman like Jean ? She would probably stand there looking bored and ran away at the end of Jean's havoc !

- Cat Beast

Wow I didn't know many of these. Some of these ideas... suck :dry:

Bryan Singer's story idea, with Emma Frost manipulating Phoenix sounded way cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"