If they should kill off Steve Rogers in the MCU

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Tg11, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

If they should kill off Steve Rogers in the Avengers franchise, since Chris Evans apparently is leaving the role at least from what I have heard, then I wonder who should or who will take up the mantle of being the new "Captain America"? I mean can they even replace Steve? I mean he is more or less the focal point of the Avengers more or less. He is the heart and soul of the whole team. He is essentially not just a captain he is the captain.

2. Brutikus

Brutikus Peace Through Tyranny

Bucky.

3. Tg11

Tg11 Well-Known Member

Bucky as the new Cap makes sense. He is essentially the closest thing to Steve. Bucky was shot up with super soldier serum just like Steve was and not to mention him becoming the new Cap would be him honoring Steve. It would not only be befitting for Bucky to honor him that way but at the same time Bucky would be atoning for everything he has done by taking up the mantle for the team as well.

4. VenomsMom

VenomsMom Well-Known Member

You all will have to rethink your candidates when Bucky gets killed. And nobody needs to take up the Cap mantle.

5. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

N.O.B.O.D.Y.

The theme behind someone taking up the Captain America mantle in the comics is great and all, but I don't think that transition would work for the MCU. MCU Bucky would never quite be accepted by [all of] the Avengers, nor the general public.

Besides the fact, the MCU only needs one Captain, and we know that Captain Marvel will soon be entering the mix, so she'll slot in nicely when Steve Rogers retires (or dies).

6. parkerpete

parkerpete Well-Known Member

If it should be anyone, it should be Buck. And while I think there would be a lot of interesting story possibilities there, I don't think that Marvel will pass the mantle if Cap dies.

7. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I can't really see the Bucky thing happening in the MCU. I'd be interesting in seeing him around after Avengers 4 though, maybe retaining some links to Wakanda.

8. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

They should have Bucky and have him go up against general lukin

9. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

If Steve dies, retire the mantle. Let his spot in the team be taken by someone else, like a Captain Marvel. No Bucky Cap.

10. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Custom User Title

Bucky doesn't have what it takes to become the leader and the inspirational figure that Steve is. He would be just a grunt dressed up as Captain America, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Sciche

Sciche Actually a criminal

i agree. i would love to see Bucky as the new cap or something similar. But do you think this will be affected by him being called the "White Wolf"?

12. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

I'd prefer for him not to die....and if Evans wants to leave, just replace him with another actor. More than one actor has played James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Jack Ryan, etc.....see no reason the MCU can't change actors either.

13. divan

divan Well-Known Member

These are uncharted waters if you ask me. Most superhero actors have, like, three or four movies under their belts, most are lucky to have a couple that are well-liked and even then, I'd argue that, with the exception of Reeve and Jackman, no iteration of a character has become as synonimous with the actor as it's happened in the MCU.

And compared to the James Bonds and Sherlocks Holmes, I'm not sure. When they reboot those franchises they overhaul the world the characters live in. You don't see, say, Downey's Sherlock interact with Freeman's Watson. It's gonna be tricky to simply pretend somebody else is Captain America, when Bucky, Falcon or Black Widow are the same, as his relationship with any of them may feel artificial.

14. Sciche

Sciche Actually a criminal

That's true. The idea is possible. But i'm not sure if people would accept the idea of Chris being replaced just cause he can't do it anymore. I think (maybe, just maybe) it's much easier to accept a character being replaced by another character because of storyline. I would love to see Bucky as the new cap or perhaps him having a different "monicker" but has the same essence as Captain America. i dunno. im not really well-versed enough on the comics to say these things heehee but im up for anything. i don't want all this to end lol

i cant imagine anyone else playing Ironman too D:

15. Samuron

Samuron Reprint

There were plenty of other heroes to showcase before, and now there will be even more.

One of the problems faced by both Marvel and DC in the comics was the proliferation of characters; new ones constantly being added while the old ones never die.

Chris Evans is MCU Captain America; there's no need to keep the title after he leaves. Retire it, and give the spotlight someone else.

16. Damkac

Damkac Well-Known Member

Nobody.

17. Thör-El

Thör-El Guest

I can imagine Sam or Bucky picking up the Shield but they won't be replacing Steve on their own. If you think about it:

Black Panther takes over as the team's superhuman vibranium wielding martial artist.

Spider-Man gradually takes over as the scrawny kid from New York who becomes the heart of the team and never gives up no matter the odds.

Captain Marvel takes over as the Captain.

18. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

In the examples you presented either there were little to no continuity between installments or the entire universe was rebooted along with the actor change. The only major superhero casting swap I can think of without a full reboot taking place was Clooney for Kilmer. But those installments were pretty much stand alone. Not so with the MCU.

Actor changes involving major characters in a interconnected cinematic universe is a big honking deal. For example, plopping Krazinski into Avengers 5 and having Mackie and Stan address him as "Cap" would set a new record for audience discomfort. I would prefer they give Captain America a break if Steve goes down in Infinity War. And after a respectable period of mourning have someone else - Elijah Bradley? - pick up the shield.

19. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

Bucky or Sam. I honestly don't get this reluctance people have with someone taking up the mantle- seems more like they just don't want anyone else to play Captain America, as if only Evans could do it. I mean, it's the first time there have been a number of Marvel characters played by, for the most part, one actor, but we all know they aren't going to be in these roles forever.

Nor will or should they just sit on the bench when there are plenty of capable actors who can step into the role so long as it's done right. For all the things folks claim can be done with the MCU, they seem reluctant to the idea of someone else stepping into an established or legacy character down the line. Maybe not all of them, but with Cap at least, Evans doesn't have to be the only one who plays Captain America.