If You Were An Actor...

Boy Scout

Avenger
Reaction score
...would you choose to play an interpretation of a character you were 90% certain that your fellow fans would dislike? In this scenario, you’re being offered good money, and you’re reasonably certain that the general audience will respond well to your movie.

Very hard decision. If I’m sure audiences will respond well I think I’d say yes, even if I fall into the 90%. At the end of the day it’d be fun to play one of these characters. If I was that passionate about disliking the vision I could go the way of Mark Hamill and be both vocal of my disagreement but acceptance of the writing.

Last edited:
Emotionally I would make a good actor but I have the worst short term memory ever given to anyone and I can't remember lines to save my life so no, I wouldn't make it as an actor.

I wouldn't try to play it a certain way because I thought the fans would like it, I'd play it the way I felt it should be played. Hopefully the director would be on-board with what I was doing. I they weren't we'd discuss it. If at the end of the day they still wanted it done differently I'd do it their way. They're the director.

I wouldn't try to play it a certain way because I thought the fans would like it, I'd play it the way I felt it should be played. Hopefully the director would be on-board with what I was doing. I they weren't we'd discuss it. If at the end of the day they still wanted it done differently I'd do it their way. They're the director.

In this scenario, the “issue” is the writing. The way the character was written (and therefore conceived) would be at odds with how the character is typically portrayed, and though that version works for the film you’re considering, you would be aware that most fans wouldn’t be on board with it.

In this scenario, the “issue” is the writing. The way the character was written (and therefore conceived) would be at odds with how the character is typically portrayed, and though that version works for the film you’re considering, you would be aware that most fans wouldn’t be on board with it.
Okay. If it was written a way that I found interesting to the point where I thought I'd enjoy portraying it I'd do it, regardless of whether I thought that interpretation would be divisive.

If the script doesn't take me places I feel really uncomfortable with, then sure, I'd take the money and do the best I can to make this role as memorable as possible.

I would totally do it. And the meaty role that I would so love to do is Lovely Feyd Ruatha. I am reasonably confident the general audience would appreciate the spunk and energy level I would perform the lively and lovely role with and that 90% of my fellow fans would dislike my interpretation of the character

upload_2018-9-15_20-23-52.png.

Yes because sometimes, but not always, characters have things changed in movies that differ from their source material that are actually positive changes.

The chances are if the general audience & therefore bulk of the viewers of your movie like you & your portrayal, then you've done a good job. You can't please everyone & while the general core fanbase is important, as long as some at least appreciate trying something 'fresh' then you really can't do much more.

...would you choose to play an interpretation of a character you were 90% certain that your fellow fans would dislike? In this scenario, you’re being offered good money, and you’re reasonably certain that the general audience will respond well to your movie.
I'd do it. Boy's gotta eat.

Someone is probably going to attempt the character again, who's probably been depicted in various ways and forms already.

I'd do it. Boy's gotta eat.

Someone is probably going to attempt the character again, who's probably been depicted in various ways and forms already.
Yep. This is something I'll be reminding people in interviews.

If I was a struggling actor, or an actor on the cusp of making it big but haven't quite pulled it off yet, then absolutely. In that situation, you tend to take any meaty role that comes your way.

If I was already an A-lister, then I'd have to assess the situation and decide if it was the right time and the right character.

Yes, fans are fickle. If it's a good role, great. If it's a role that assures you can go on to do bigger and better things beyond studio tentpoles (and starring as a superhero at least gives you that opportunity to try) then it is a great career decision. It is a win and win, plus you'll get rich while doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"