If you're watching a movie and it's baaad...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by DyeLorean, Sep 17, 2016.

1. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I have a question.

There was a time when I'd watch entire bad movies because that's what we're supposed to do, see the thing in its entirety before judging.

Lately I found myself skipping most bad films. There are many things to watch, and so little time. Maybe is because I'm getting older, but if 20-30 minutes in I'm bored and not enjoying myself, I just stop the movie.

What do you do when you're watching a really bad film?

2. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

I'm usually willing to give everything my attention, but if I'm at home, I'll just tune out. I've been lucky enough not to see anything I outright hated in a theatre for a while now. Last time was Age of Ultron when I was stuck in an IMAX and hating life.

3. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

If I made a point of watching the movie to start with, it has to be really bad or I have to be really disinterested to stop. If it's something I just stumbled upon on TV, though, especially if I missed the beginning, I don't think anything of turning.

4. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I have only walked out of two films from the theater in my life because for me they just weren't working. One was a Three Muskateers film, the one that Tim Roth was in as the villain, can't remember it's name. The other was the Dicaprio Romeo and Juliet. The first was just piss poor and the other I found terribly pretentious back in the 90's.

Everything else in theaters I stick it out until the end. Watching at home even I usually see it through to the end just so I can KNOW that all the way through it was good or bad.

5. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

From the last two I remember that I couldn't get into, I either fell asleep (Captain America) or waited for it to get better (Antman). Both at home, mind. I've never walked out of the theatre or thrown away money on a movie that didn't look good.

6. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

Yeah, I was talking more about home viewing. I've never walked out of a cinema myself. Is the ones at home that you don't know nothing about and you want to give them a try.

There are several that turn out big, great surprises, but most of them are just not worth 2 hours of my life.

7. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

Honestly, if something is that bad, it just turns into background noise while I do my assignments.

Gutshot Straight, The Prince, XOXO and Pee Wee's Big Holiday are the most recent examples. Or if I'm watching them at night, I just start messaging my friends.

8. Steamteck

Steamteck Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I am but I give it a little more time. Netflix can be a real gamble sometimes and you just don't know beforehand.

9. Lasirius

Lasirius Tarifa

It depends on if I'm already busy doing something or not. I typically leave it as background noise if I'm doing something and expecting the movie to be bad but if I start watching a movie that I think it might be good to solely view and it isn't then I change it.

No time for bad movies anymore, I try to be selective now and usually don't get dragged by other people to go watch movies I'm not interested in.

10. TheFlamingCoco

TheFlamingCoco Well-Known Member

I have a "rule of thirds"-if the movie isn't good by a third of its running time, then it's okay if it gets shut off.

11. LTuser

LTuser Well-Known Member

Turn it off. I've better things to do with my time, than continue watching a bad film..additionally if, say i rented it from redbox, i then leave a comment telling people how bad it was and why i felt that way.

I can only remember two maybe three times i've walked out on a movie in the theater cause it was so cruddy...

12. Jh7058622

Jh7058622 Well-Known Member

Funny enough mine was Civil War. It was boring as **** to me. But I watched the full film though I was physically exhausted afterward. I was fine with most other Marvel movies but that one was just unfortunate.

13. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

I was watching Superman Returns, and wondering when it was going to get good ( spoiler: the answer was "never") but when Superman landed on an island made largely of kryptonite and then looked surprised when he got his ass kicked...I was longing for nuclear man and Gene Hackman.

Would have walked out, but I was on a date.

14. LTuser

LTuser Well-Known Member

I loved spacey in superman returns...

15. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

That made me laugh! :up:

As for the OP, I don't feel duty-bound to spend my time doing something I'm not enjoying unless I'm being paid for it. Someone above mentioned judging it a third of the way in, and yes pretty much. The only time I might stick with it longer is if I think poor as it is it still has potential.

16. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

I'd put boring into this category too. Made it an hour into Dunkirk when I just had no desire to finish. Never will either.