1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Animation Illumination's Super Mario movie

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Sithborg, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I will never understand the Pratt hate. I at least heard some sort of accent from him. I love Charlie Day but he sounds just like himself. Don’t know why he gets a pass.

TheVileOne likes this.
  2. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Literally explained why some people think this way in my last post. Not sure how you can be confused after that. *shrugs*

3. Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Pretty tired of these trailers taking a known theme and adding some ethereal keys then some epic sounding drums to it. It's generic and forgettable.

Anyway, this again didn't move me much. It obviously looks great visually, but so will Pixar's next movie, and so will Spider-Verse 2, but those will most likely have better writing.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  4. TheVileOne Registered

I don't get the Pratt hate either, other than the questionable religious background stuff and he's put his foot in his mouth publicly a couple times, but what celebrity hasn't when you get to that level?

There was a time when Pratt could probably do no wrong in the eyes of some. I think part of it is that he's popular now, and we've probably learned way more about his personal life than we probably wanted to know.

That said, I do agree he was probably miscast as Mario. If you watch the trailer, they almost seem to be downplaying his voice and material.

But this is how things go. You cast movie stars in these roles even if it's not always the best fit. Pratt's Mario definitely seems to be a case of celebrity stunt casting gone wrong.

I mean we're on the second trailer now, and I still can't really get a read on what Pratt is doing with his voice.

5. TheVileOne Registered

Well just for example if the movie doesn't use the classic themes as part of the score, I will be angry. It was bad enough they were too stingy to get the music rights for the Sonic the Hedgehog films.

6. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Charlie Day as Luigi, Anya as Peach, and Jack Black as Bowser are the ones that really work.

P Supreme and Dave McFly like this.
  7. Art Vandelay Registered

Because Charlie Day as Luigi just works. It's why most people were immediately on board. His voice is so expressive. Pratt and Anya Taylor-Joy meanwhile...

8. Sithborg Gundam Utena

Pratt gets **** because he is a bad voice actor. Can he do voice acting, sure. But he is not versatile enough to get to a voice we are expecting for Mario. Is it unfair to him, ehhh. Mario is iconic enough that there is a certain expectation for his voice. Taylor-Joy isn't either. But she gets a pass because Peach doesn't exactly have an iconic voice. In fact, probably a few are relieved that they changed it.

As for the rest of it. He and the rest of this male cast are the ones that overreacted to a silly online poll.

Holy Slapper and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  9. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (she/her)

Seeing the public opinion on the trailer. They're not feeling Mario, Mixed on Peach, Jack Black sounds good, Charlie Day is Luigi, and Key's Toad Voice is good, but could be better.

10. Dave McFly Knight Patrol

Lets A Go!!

I cannot WAIT to see this!!!

11. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Donkey kong!!!!! I hope Seth performs the DK rap. I may get up and dance along in the cinema

12. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

Probably because that’s not how I picture Luigi’s voice to be? If I close my eyes, I’m just hearing Charlie from Always Sunny. There’s not even a tinge of an accent which I can at least detect from Pratt.

samsnee likes this.
  13. TheVileOne Registered

What type of accent should they have though?

14. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

I liked the idea of an Italian New York accent. I got a little bit of that from Pratt, but didn’t hear any of it from Day. He just sounded like himself.

legendkillin likes this.
  15. samsnee Ok

Yeah I don’t see how Pratt gets knocked but Day gets a pass. Both sound like their regular voices to me.

Prison Mike likes this.
  16. Holy Slapper Registered

Meh. Looks way too much of a kids movie, so not for me.

17. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ good (Undecided/still figuring out)

A Super Mario Bros. movie, adapted from a property aimed at and made for a general audience, mainly at kids and teens, looks too much…like a kids movie.

18. P Supreme Registered

wasn't a fan like most of the Pratt casting but lets not forget the jurrassic world success kids love that movie like we did original JP my nephews are over the moon that he is voicing Mario

yes we all grew up on this and have our personal biases but were not the target audience at all
    from the reactions in my household i'm still at my fams from thanksgiving and they blew a gasket when i showed them the trailer and the mario kart ending sequence i see this as being BIG BIG
    Success

As for me Jack Black's Bowser looks and sounds fantastic
    Day as Luigi just fits i with that crowd

Everyone else well not so much

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  19. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

New Trailer looks like fun, on that i think the movie absolutely will deliver.
    Pratt continues to sound bored to me.
    There is little life in his voice, especially when you compare it to the voice actors from other Dubs.

The Rest of the cast is fine, i honestly dont even remember how Peach sounds because i havent played a game in the Mario universe for quite a while.

But the rest, i can see the Target Audience having a incredible amount of fun with.
    For me i can definitly see this become a Movie i watch later on Blu Ray while trying out different dubs and all.

I think outside of Pratt, everything about this Movie seems good.
    But even on that, maybe 20-30 minutes in the movie, you get used to how Mario sounds.

P Supreme likes this.
  20. Dave McFly Knight Patrol

I just realized this the 3rd time Pratt and Day have voiced a movie together, this one and the 2 Lego flims

21. Bran The Man Sumthin', Sumthin' Hero.

MARIO KART!!!!

Visually, this looks AMAZING! I'm glad my guy Luigi got some time to shine in this trailer. I love all the little nods to the different games and the orchestral version of the theme.

And I LOVE that Toad's weapon of choice is a skillet!

#771 Bran The Man, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  22. NotNickFury Registered

We're not ready yet for the rated-R Mario movie story where Mama Peach learns that she is Bowser Jr.'s 'mom.'

..that was still a weird, but funny moment.

TheWiseGuy487 likes this.
  23. samsnee Ok

I kinda wanna see the Zack Snyder version now. Luigi is dead. Bowser wants to rape Princess. Mario kills by shooting them point blank with fireballs.

24. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Surprisingly not what I expected, and yet I'm happy with the combined elements of the super Mario world, and Mario kart. Pratt voice isn't terrible but I think it was a mistake not getting the video game voice actor to reprise his role.

legendkillin and TheVileOne like this.
  25. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER