Illumination's Super Mario movie

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Sithborg, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Speed Force Goober

Eh. I found both Secret Life of Pets serviceable. I enjoyed Grinch and Sing was alright as well. They're fine for what they are. None of them I'd ever really watch again though, save for Grinch.

2. DarkKnight88 Registered

Grinch was awful. Completely lacked the charm and edge of the original. The animation sucked too, losing such moments as this;
    [​IMG]

Worst sin of all you hire the perfect Grinch voice in Benedict Cumberbatch, then get him to change his natural voice with a goofy one.

#77 DarkKnight88, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    TheVileOne and TheAQU4M4N like this.
  3. Wheels Groovy

I like the original Despicable Me. The daughters are completely charming in that one.

I kind of like every version of The Grinch but the animated film is my least favorite. I like the live action film because of it's style of humor, which yeah admittedly doesn't fit the original story, but we so rarely get that type humor now. It's like turning the Grinch into a Looney Tunes character, which wasn't the best idea for what the wider audience want from the character, but I like it. Again, mostly because this style of comedy doesn't exist anymore.

TheVileOne likes this.
  4. -JKR- Registered

Illumination are pretty subpar and lowest common denominator for the most part. I hope that whatever they have in mind with Super Mario, they are creative and daring with it rather than making yet another cookie cutter "lolz animated movie."

And yes, I prefer the Ron Howard movie to the Illumination animated movie, as well. At least it had personality and atmosphere.

TheVileOne and CJ like this.
  5. Silvermoth Avenger

It looks like Nintendo pretty much has full control over it so illumination just handles the art which to me seems perfect

Teelie and CJ like this.
  6. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

Eh, we'll see.

7. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Of course, most animated movies can still get stuff done.

8. Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder when they’ll announce casting

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Same here.

10. TheVileOne Registered

Dollars to donuts, they'll get like John Goodman or something to voice Mario in the movie ;)

11. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

Danny DeVito or bust. :o

Silvermoth and TheVileOne like this.
  12. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I wonder whether they’ll go with a New York/American accent for Mario or an Italian one. I think the character has had both over the years.

Anyway, I’m glad this is happening and hopefully it will be the gateway to that Zelda movie I’ve been screaming for since I was 8 years old. I’d prefer live action for that one but I’d settle for CGI as long as it’s good.

Teelie likes this.
  13. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

PG-13 I hope for that Zelda one.

Deck Rickard and Teelie like this.
  14. Silvermoth Avenger

I think they’ll go as close as possible to the Charles martinet version since that’s what the new gen thinks of when they think of Mario. They might even get him but I’m not sure if he can handle drama or anything beyond “yippee, wahoo” haha

as for Zelda, gee I would love to see that

15. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    Zelda has so much potential. I hope it happens one day.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  16. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

Hopefully not in the hands of Illumination, if so.

DarkKnight88 likes this.
  17. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

If Universal has a deal with Nintendo it may very well be.

18. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

19. Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

The Nintendo properties are weird when it comes to potential film adaptations.

Mario should probably never be made into a live action film again after it failed spectacularly back in 1993. Kirby is another property that would be tough to tackle outside of animation.

Donkey Kong and Starfox could go either way, really. I imagine a live action DK movie would look like a cross between the newer Planet of the Apes trilogy and Detective Pikachu. Starfox could be "live action" in the same way that the Lion King remake was.

But then there's Zelda and Metroid, and there's so much potential for live action films with both of those franchises that if they were animated films it would feel like a copout.

If Universal does have the rights to more Nintendo properties than just Mario and their endgame is some type of Super Smash Bros. crossover film in the long run, I'd give them even more credit if they were to combine animated and live action films in the same universe. If done right it could be a hit, like a more kid friendly MCU. Only downside is they probably wouldn't be able to use Pokemon since WB owns those film rights.

20. Silvermoth Avenger

You know if they got Masi Oka for the lead he could do promo in the West and japan, arguably the two biggest markets for this plus he’s only voice acting so he doesn’t actually have to be Italian

21. Wheels Groovy

I want a Star Fox animated film or TV series. Zelda is a more appealing in live action to me .

Deck Rickard and TheVileOne like this.
  22. Zorro IncognitoX

I still want a live action Super Mario movie by Guillermo Del Torro, James Cameron, Jon Favreau or Peter Jackson

Still curious about this one though

23. Drizzle I'm gonna get real weird with it

I could see Illumination getting someone like Josh Gad to voice Mario. I don't know why, but I can also see Taika Waititi voicing either Toad or Yoshi for some reason.

24. Silvermoth Avenger

I could see yoshi being saved for the final scene as a teaser for a sequel I reckon.

but yeah I could see someone wacky like taika being involved. Even as bowser or whatever