I'm Reading Your Stuff: General News and Discussion Thread

The OG Clayface seems way more up Reeves' (crime) alley.
Unfortunately. I know I’ll get ripped for this but it’s not a surprise coming from Matt Reeves. He found a way to suck the fun out of a b-movie franchise about monkeys taking over the world.

Unfortunately. I know I’ll get ripped for this but it’s not a surprise coming from Matt Reeves. He found a way to suck the fun out of a b-movie franchise about monkeys taking over the world.

To me that just opens up the chance of seeing a different version of Clayface in the DCU. Because there has been multiple Clayface's in the comics and BTAS's version is an amalgamated version of a couple of them. So that is one villain that can have multiple versions in different Batman projects.

I'm probably in the minority but the Golden Age, evil Lon Chaney version actually strikes me as more interesting than an amorphous clay blob. So I'm eager to see what Reeves is planning with the character.

I'm right there with you on that front.

The benefit to Clayface is that several individuals have gone by the name. So there's a capacity for multiple interpretations.

Reevesverse - Karlo
DCU - Hagen

Exactly! We can get both versions now in both respective franchises and there's nothing wrong with that being the case.

That seems possible. Dent is my favourite Batman villain but I'd be really concerned about retreading TDK trilogy stuff if they did his whole story here.

I'm sure he'll just be some rando scumbag DA in Joker 2 though. Not really expecting Two-Face or anything like that.
I want Two Face in Reeves' series after an intro period as Dent. The Two Face part was very brief in TDK but the Dent stuff does risk being a retread if they don't differentiate. Unfortunately we're probably not going to get time to cover all the villains I'd like to see under Reeves..

Earth One Two Face is the only way they could go about it without it being extremely repetitive and boring.

I'm probably in the minority but the Golden Age, evil Lon Chaney version actually strikes me as more interesting than an amorphous clay blob. So I'm eager to see what Reeves is planning with the character.

Meh.

There's a reason why that version of Clayface was retold. Because it's trite and grounded Clayface is boring.

For whatever reason I keep thinking about Morrison's graphic novel Batman: Gothic.

"When the senior leaders of Gotham City's mobs find themselves hunted down by a figure from their past they turn to Batman for assistance."

That could be an interesting angle. Swap out Mr. Whisper with Clayface.

I mean

Ultimately if that's what Matt wants to do, I'm all in for it regardless of which version of the character it is. Clayface sounds rad

Nothing is official yet, right?
It sounds like the article is covering itself by saying that the "script is always changing"
Because to hear, at this point in the process, that a script wouldn't have completely fixed something as fundamental to these films as the villain, seems a bit made-up to me.

Otherwise, I'm totally open to Clayface. Whatever the version.
Without reopening old debates, I think there are enough cinematographic references to see how different versions of the character could work in what Reeves has created.

In any case, if this character's incursion is true, then I find it a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
It's cute how scoopers and some fans think the scripts work.

Jesus, Reeves isn't the type of filmmaker that could change the role of Oz in the script due to how the audience will consider Penguin series; and he wouldn't change the main villain now, at five months from the start of production.

If he decided that Clayface was the big bad of the movie, he probably knew since The Batman release.
If he will be a cameo or similar the "script is evolving" of course; but I'm beginning to be bored from all of this scoop and rumours.

Give us some real news, please :eyeroll:

...ignore the 'r-word' // sometimes we overthink all of this.

Just let Matt cook.

If Reeves wants to do Clay-Face, I'm 100% on board as long as his version isn't some sort of take where Clay-Face is just a guy who looks like he's melting because of baggy/excess skin or something.

AgonizingCrispFlies-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
It sounds like the article is covering itself by saying that the "script is always changing"
Because to hear, at this point in the process, that a script wouldn't have completely fixed something as fundamental to these films as the villain, seems a bit made-up to me.

Without reopening old debates, I think there are enough cinematographic references to see how different versions of the character could work in what Reeves has created.

In any case, if this character's incursion is true, then I find it a breath of fresh air.
It’s not like 100% confirmation but it isn’t some random scooper either. Deadline is an extremely legit trade. They aren’t infallible but they’re considerably more likely to be right than wrong.

It's nitpicking, but upon rereading the Deadline article, I actually get the impression that "scripts are always changing" was thrown in more as an acknowledgement of how in flux things are at DC Studios right now, rather than inferring that Matt Reeves has been drastically revising and changing new drafts of his script for Part II.

In fact, the direct quote from Deadline is:
That said, other sources are telling us that scripts are constantly changing, and that Clayface is a big addition to Matt Reeves' The Batman 2.

That middle junction of the sentence ("and that") would indicate that the information of Clayface being a big addition to The Batman, Part II is a separate and more concrete detail set apart from the first part of the sentence, likely indicating that the Deadline writer might be wary of Flanagan's pitch for a Clayface solo film also being greenlit alongside another version of the character appearing in Reeves' anticipated sequel.

Yeah regardless of November being any sort of production start, pre- or whatever the probable main villain of the film being changed at this point would almost require a complete rewrite

with Deadline reporting it, I am 95% sure Clayface will factor into the movie in some way. Matt and Mattson might be on a second draft or even further at this stage. and a "big addition" is not something you can just write out right now. don't think he'll be THE villain, but im quite positive we're getting clayface

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"