Immigrant Civil Rights Movement

rigel7soldiers said:
There's no law against living in the United States if you're not a citizen. From what I understand, all you need is a green card, or something. I'm not really all that knowledgable on the subject. But so long as you got in legally, you can live in the country without reproach, no?
I agree with you. Legally anyone has any right to be here. But if you are illegally here you have no rights whatsoever....except basic human rights of course. A green card, temporary visa, etc...are all legal ways to live here.

Lackey said:
She, not he...and you're wrong. Looks like you're the one that needs to read the article.
I take more money out of the government than I put in...I guess I am an immigrant:)

She adresses that immigrants have an overall positive effect on our economics but in one paragraph she adresses how illegal immigrants are using our school systems without paying. The next line she states that they use 20 billion buck more than they contribute.

Illegal immigration has also been used by terrorists in 5 instances within our country.

TheSlag said:
Or perhaps those businesses would have to pay more to get people to do the work (thus moving us away from becoming a 3rd world country, as opposed to moving us more towards it)... and not allow the rich to get richer off the slave labor. As well as might have to address the benefits that are included in those jobs as well, as opposed to paying such low wages without benefits, where the employees HAVE to use public services.
Raising wages will only cause inflation. There's no way around it. And having cheap labor doesn't bring us closer to being a third world country. Just ask China. Thanks to cheap labor they have one of the worlds fastest growing economies.

chaseter said:
I take more money out of the government than I put in...I guess I am an immigrant:)

She adresses that immigrants have an overall positive effect on our economics but in one paragraph she adresses how illegal immigrants are using our school systems without paying. The next line she states that they use 20 billion buck more than they contribute.

How do you take more money out than you put in????

blind_fury said:
Raising wages will only cause inflation. There's no way around it. And having cheap labor doesn't bring us closer to being a third world country. Just ask China. Thanks to cheap labor they have one of the worlds fastest growing economies.
If all the illegal immigrants became citizens and were to be paid minimum wage, it would not detrimentally change the price of products because wages constitute such a small portion of the total price. I think economists said they price of fruit and vegetables would change 2-3 cents.

TheSlag said:
How do you take more money out than you put in????
That is what I want to know:) ...that was my proof that illegal immigrants are using 20 billion more than they put in. It simply cannot be legal immigrants because they pay taxes and use less or equal to what they contribute...its simple logic that Lackey doesn't understand.

blind_fury said:

And then there's Korea, or numerous other countries that pay terrible wages, or the offshore practice of outsourcing of high paying jobs. When wages are lowered, we move more towards becoming a 3rd world country. Period.

TheSlag said:
And then there's Korea, or numerous other countries that pay terrible wages, or the offshore practice of outsourcing of high paying jobs. When wages are lowered, we move more towards becoming a 3rd world country. Period.
Yup...America will soon be overtaken economy wise by China...they are growing at a huge rate and will soon be greater than America's.

Well I am out. This was fun debating. There will obviously always be people on each side of an issue and point out refutting evidence that supports both. I just cannot understand why people think it is ok for others to be here illegally and everything be fine. Sorry, I wish I didn't have to pay taxes either but that doesn't mean illegal aliens are going to ride my coat tail and benefit from my losses.

TheSlag said:
So it's OK to have slave labor as long as it's illegal immigrants?
This is the reality of the US economy. Big business needs the cheap labor of illegals to compete. You can't just flip a switch and change that. It's built into the infrastructure.

chaseter said:
If all the illegal immigrants became citizens and were to be paid minimum wage, it would not detrimentally change the price of products because wages constitute such a small portion of the total price. I think economists said they price of fruit and vegetables would change 2-3 cents.
There you go Blind Fury...sorry I don't have the source with me...I will try and find it later.
There you go Blind Fury...sorry I don't have the source with me...I will try and find it later.

chaseter said:
Yup...America will soon be overtaken economy wise by China...they are growing at a huge rate and will soon be greater than America's.

Not sure about that, but regardless, the wages and standard of living in China, while improved dramatically over the deplorable state that it was back in the last 60+ years or so, is still not comparable to what we have here (even with it slowly slipping away)...

A manager in Shanghai who earns US$30,000 a year - the average managerial salary according to government figures - ends up costing US$60,000 a year. A factory worker earning a base salary of US$3,000 ends up costing US$6,000.

"Shanghai is definitely becoming uncompetitive for manufacturing, especially for export, but also for the domestic market," says Jack Perkowski, CEO of Asimco Technologies. The company makes camshafts, fuel pumps, cylinder blocks, brake systems and rubber noise and vibration components for the China market and for export.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_...d=11342&sid=6365415&con_type=1&d_str=20060206

chaseter said:
Illegal immigration has also been used by terrorists in 5 instances within our country.
5 instances out of millions? There's a greater chance you'll be struck by lightning .

TheSlag said:
Not sure about that, but regardless, the wages and standard of living in China, while improved dramatically over the deplorable state that it was back in the last 60+ years or so, is still not comparable to what we have here (even with it slowly slipping away)...

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=46&art_id=11342&sid=6365415&con_type=1&d_str=20060206
I don't know...a lot of people think America has already hit its peak and is now declining and that competing countries like China will surpass us within 100 years.

blind_fury said:
5 instances out of millions? There's a greater chance you'll be struck by lightning .
Last time I checked, 5 instances of preventable terrorism is more than 0. A lot of innocent people died from something that could of been prevented. And I didn't know America had millions of terrorist activity instances....:confused:

blind_fury said:
This is the reality of the US economy. Big business needs the cheap labor of illegals to compete. You can't just flip a switch and change that. It's built into the infrastructure.

Says who? I guess IYO we should go back to slavery then... even "cheaper" labor. They need to pay, and ENFORCE, that businesses pay a liveable wage in the US, to ensure we DO NOT become a 3rd World Country. We also need to have trade agreements that will level the playing field, where we only trade with other countries that DO NOT exploit their workers. And lastly, we have to secure our borders and enforce the immigration laws that we have, so as to not sabatoge the working wage by bringing in... in essence... slave labor.

TheSlag said:
Says who? I guess IYO we should go back to slavery then... even "cheaper" labor. They need to pay, and ENFORCE, that businesses pay a liveable wage in the US, to ensure we DO NOT become a 3rd World Country. We also need to have trade agreements that will level the playing field, where we only trade with other countries that DO NOT exploit their workers. And lastly, we have to secure our borders and enforce the immigration laws that we have, so as to not sabatoge the working wage by bringing in... in essence... slave labor.
Agreed...you need to be a politician because that was friggin gold...I couldn't of said it better.

chaseter said:
I don't know...a lot of people think America has already hit its peak and is now declining and that competing countries like China will surpass us within 100 years.

I agree that we are declining... but it is due to the outsourcing/etc. of jobs, and the paying of slave like wages to workers, while the rich get richer. I'm not against big business, but I am against explotation. I've seen companies that treat their employees the right way flourish... THAT should be our model in an ideal world (read... Level Playing field with other countries).

I think that anyone who wants to come here should be able to, as long as they learn English, pay their taxes and follow the laws. They will still have the desire to work hard. (plus more electoral votes for California.)

Plus that BS about terrorists coming in through Mexico is crap. It's much more likely that they would come in through Canada because A) Less expectancy and B) Canada is a a radical commie country (just kidding on the later.)

TheSlag said:
If American businesses pay $10 bucks an hour for minimum wage the U.S. won't turn into this perfect utopia. Inflation will go through the roof. It will cost $5 for a bottle of water. Things are cheap because the cost of labor is low. The mega-rich are not the only ones that benefit from cheap labor. We all do. But if you want to pay 5 bucks for a bottle of water go ahead and raise the minimum wage and kick out illegals.

Oh yeah, today was that supposed "boycott" or whatever. Or as Wal-Mart probably calls it; rollback day.

i find it funny, that illigeal immigrants didnt go to work today to protest...the irony. Im really sick of imigrants saying they have rights...you dont you shmucks!

blind_fury said:
If American businesses pay $10 bucks an hour for minimum wage the U.S. won't turn into this perfect utopia. Inflation will go through the roof. It will cost $5 for a bottle of water. Things are cheap because the cost of labor is low. The mega-rich are not the only ones that benefit from cheap labor. We all do. But if you want to pay 5 bucks for a bottle of water go ahead and raise the minimum wage and kick out illegals.

And imagine, you would have workers with more spending money, who would spend, and invest... all which would spur the markets. Imagine.

And if you're that worried about inflation, then I guess we should all be working for $1 hour... just to make sure inflation is kept down. Heck... that bottle of water would probably only cost you a dime then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"