1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

In Blackest Night... The Official Jessica Cruz Thread

Discussion in 'Green Lantern Corps.' started by Juan1193, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Juan1193 Registered

Gina Rodriguez, Lindsay Morgan, Corina Calderon, Diane Guerrero, Natalie Martinez...any of these women would make a great Jessica Cruz, it just depends on how young they want to make her.

2. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I know it's a long shot but I hope the Green Lantern they choose for the justice league is Jessica. They probably won't put her there without at least putting Baz in there first but I would love it

3. mace1 Registered

Jessica cruz should be played by a latino of color and Penelope Cruz is not a latino of color.

4. mace1 Registered

This was posted in another forum.

Thread: DC Extended Universe Thread (POST NO SPOILERS HERE!)

#29 mace1, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. mace1 Registered

There are examples of characters that have shown up in live action or cartoons first before they were shown in comics.

There are other examples of characters that have not been around that long or have not been shown in comics that much or are recent or new, and they still make it to live action or cartoons for example or both.

They could make any character work if they want to and characters do not have be around that long.
    Ghost rider robbie who is latino is another example of this.
    Mike peterson version of deathlok for live action is not even in the comics but has been shown in live action.
    The black deathloks in marvel comics are not mike peterson.
    The same for the vixen version in the legends of tomorrow dc cw show.
    The black firestorm in the dc cw shows has not been shown that much in comics and he was never firestorm in the comics,but he is the black firestorm for live action.

#30 mace1, Nov 21, 2016
  6. mace1 Registered

Edited reply above.

7. Juan1193 Registered

I still feel Jessica will show up sooner rather than later. In all honestly we are without a doubt getting Hal Jordan and John Stewart. Those two are the most iconic and popular versions. They also have the largest fan bases and are consistently brought up the most. The question is which other GL's will get a chance to shine. In my view its between Kyle Rayner and Jessica Cruz, and in all honesty I'd give the edge to Jess because of Geoff Johns and her current push in the comics.

8. KalvinEllis Registered

Again, that was my personal standpoint. I believe they should start with someone who provides the most story material as a starting point and that's clearly Hal. And if they want to use Jessica or any of the more obscure GLs, they would just use them. Sure, like that comment mentions, the general audience indeed doesn't care all that much who turns out to be, but as a fan I care, so I'm not sure why this should change my mind. I don't really care what the GA cares or doesn't care about.

#33 KalvinEllis, Nov 21, 2016
  9. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

With the exception of Alan Scott, all of the titular Green Lanterns have origins that are, to varying degrees, tied to Hal Jordan. They exist in his universe. I'd rather not see WB stray from that because they have such a hit-and-miss track record with their DC properties. We could have another Steel debacle if WB tries to wing it with GL.

10. mace1 Registered

John stewart origin in a secret origins issue in the new52 is not tied to hal jordan anymore.

I got this from another website
    Secret Origins #9 Review

#35 mace1, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  11. mace1 Registered

Oh and i read Secret Origins issue 9 when it first came out.

#36 mace1, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  12. Juan1193 Registered

And that's unfortunate! Thankfully John Stewart isn't tied to Hal Jordan anymore!

It's a shame that Jessica is though as she is a great character that is going to get held back because of this! Its irritating if you are a fan of the character

#37 Juan1193, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. KalvinEllis Registered

How is Jessica tied to Hal? Her origin had nothing to do with him. Simon's origin is tied to Hal and Sinestro, sure, but Jessica? I must have missed something.

14. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

John worked for Carol Ferris. Why is she and Ferris Air important?

Hal showed her how to control her ring and most recently, he fused her power battery with Simon's to make them rely on one another. He's the glue that holds the GL story together. Even when he's not there, he's there.

#39 Lantern Venom, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  15. mace1 Registered

I thought you was talking about his origin.You said his origin, but his origin is not connected to hal anymore.
    John starting out originally as a backup lantern before the new52,but not in the new52.
    Anyway he does not work for carol now i think.

#40 mace1, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  16. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

I was talking about Secret Origins #9. While Hal wasn't directly involved, John was given his ring because he fought to save Hal's girlfriend at the company made famous in the DC Universe because Hal worked there. So he was still tied to Hal, just to a lesser degree than GL/GA 87.

That being said, I have haven't seen any of the titular GLs have their origins retold since the New 52 ended. I'm assuming they're all still the same or similar, but John and Hal have been in space since the book Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps started. There haven't been any mentions of Ferris Air, Abin Sur, etc..that I can remember.

17. Mz. Hyde Registered

I know I'm digging up a dead thread here, but I've only recently been learning about Jessica Cruz' character, and the more I think about it, the more I would love for her to appear in the DCEU. I think the character arc of having to overcome her anxiety is really interesting and could be done really well onscreen.

I don't really mind which Green Lantern joins the Justice League (as much as I would love a second female in the line-up), but I really hope she appears in a Green Lantern Corps movie at least.

18. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Yeah I love Jessica, she's amazing. I can't wait to see her too

19. Rowsdower! Registered

After seeing The Belko Experiment, my pick for Jessica Cruz is Adria Arjona.

20. K-Rayner05 Registered

My pick is Christian Serratos for Jessica Cruz.

21. Mz. Hyde Registered

Suzie Crabgrass! Brilliant.

22. Syncos ROFLICIOUS

Thankfully the garbage that was the new 52 is erased unless specifically brought up and made relevant post-rebirth.

23. Juan1193 Registered

I think tying all the GL's to Jordan, especially someone like John is a stupid idea! The new 52 got it right by removing Hal from Johns origin.

As for Jessica, I want her to show up more so than any of the other Lanterns (Kyle, Guy, Simon) so I'm in favor of skipping the other 3 and letting her join Hal and John. Christian Serratos, Lindsay Morgan or Sandra Echeverria would be my picks.

24. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

Except that Jordan really wasn't removed from John's New 52 origin. Hal wasn't there physically, but the backdrop and John's reason for acting heroically (Carol) were both important because readers know their importance from Hal's story.

As for Jessica, she needs more development in the comics before trying to leap to the big screen. She had a decent start, but Humphries isn't letting her grow in the way that she should. We're nearly 2 years into her co-starring role in Green Lanterns and the central aspect of her character is still anxiety. As some point, she really needs to turn the corner. Her anxiety doesn't need to vanish from her character, but she's got to develop coping skills and the ability to compartmentalize her defeatist inclinations so that she can be a hero. Right now, she's in a narrative stasis.

25. KalvinEllis Registered

The thing is DC probably thinks that once she starts to get over her anxiety(not completely but just enough), there would be nothing special about her anymore. Same thing happened to Kyle, once he stopped being the rookie who was trying to fill Hal's shoes, and proved he was a great hero in his own right that could hang with the big boys in the Justice League, there was nothing that made him stand out anymore. His journey was complete, now he was just another Green Lantern. The same thing would eventually happen to Jessica, because she can not be defined by her anxiety forever and it seems like DC generally doesn't have a real long-term plan whenever they decide to bring in more legacy characters. It feels like they are there to serve a purpose of sorts and once they have outlived their usefulness, they get lost in the shuffle. Wally West was probably the one exception and we know what happened to him once Barry was back. Jessica Cruz is the first female human Lantern, she also happens to be Latina who suffers from anxiety. All of that is great, but what happens when the time comes where she is just another Green Lantern that DC doesn't know what do with anymore.

That's why I objected bringing in more Green Lanterns because DC struggled enough to balance them out in the first place. Having 5 GLs was kind of ridiculous, adding 2 more was extreme overkill.

#50 KalvinEllis, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017