The Wolverine In Place of Hugh Jackman?

Skedoodles

Civilian
Reaction score
I honestly think Hugh Jackman portrays Wolverine fantastically. However, if someone had to replace him, who do you think could do a good job playing wolverine?

are we talking about recasting Jackman's version of Wolverine (like a Jackman look alike, type)....
....or a new version of Wolverine all together?

There's honestly noone that I can think of who can replace Hugh Jackman.

There will always be someone else out there who can play the role, even if we haven't heard of them yet. Different people have been playing Hamlet for four hundred years, and as much as I like Wolverine, he is no Hamlet.

When the time does come, I'd like to see a complete overhaul of the character. Make him more like the snide muscle of the group, rather than a leadership figure.

But to be honest, as long as Fox holds the rights to the X-Men, I don't see them recasting Wolverine until Jackman decides he's done with the character. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Days of Future Past movie with a fiftyish Jackman around 2020.

Christian Kane from 'Leverage' would be my choice

Scott Caan - Has the height, build and look to pull it off I think.

I hear Hugh mentions Wolverine a lot during his one-man show on Broadway, which officially opened last night to rave reviews. I'm going to see the show on Sunday.

Round up of all the reviews:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2023056

Below are 18 links to and excerpts from reviews of HUGH JACKMAN, BACK ON BROADWAY:

New York Post theater critic Elisabeth Vincentelli writes: “There’s a new king on Broadway. Long live His Royal Hughness!”

And that pretty much summarizes the ecstatic critical reaction across the board for Hugh Jackman and his concert show, entitled HUGH JACKMAN, BACK ON BROADWAY, which opened last night at the Broadhurst Theatre for a limited 10 week run through New Year’s Day.

This is the smash hit Broadway has been praying for all this fall season!

While all the reviews are positive-- and the majority are raves, including Ben Brantley in The New York Times -- it must be pointed out that there are also merely good reviews that quibble on one or two counts: that this show is more nightclub than Broadway and/or that Mr. Jackman should be interpreting, as more of his own, a less standard repertory of songs.

For a peek into opening night, Julie Chang for Fox Television Channel 5 in New York covered the red carpet and went backstage to talk to Hugh Jackman after the show. Click here to view that video (Time: 3:23).

For the latest video of performance highlights and a new montage, click here. And for the opening night curtain call video, check that out here.

How does Hugh Jackman prepare for his performances. Cindy Adams has that story. Click here to read.
I think the NY Times review is one of my favorites:

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/11/...dhurst-review.html?scp=1&sq=flirtation&st=cse

Last edited:
He does! They even mention him in the announcement to turn off cell phones before the show starts: "Remember, he is Wolverine. He knows where you are, and he will find you." :funny:

You're going this weekend, right? You're going to love it!

He does! They even mention him in the announcement to turn off cell phones before the show starts: "Remember, he is Wolverine. He knows where you are, and he will find you." :funny:

You're going this weekend, right? You're going to love it!

Yep, first time on Sunday. I'm in the third row and I hope he doesn't come near me!

As Ultra Lantern said, I can't think of anyone suitable to play Wolverine, other than Hugh Jackman. For me, he's the impersonation of Wolverine. He made me like Wolverine. Because in the comics he's portrayed too much as an animal. He's a mutated human, not a beast. The same goes for some other mutants, like Sabertooth.

So yeah, I have not a single clue as to whom I should choose instead of Hugh....

James Purefoy. I just watched Solomon Kane and even if he looks a bit like Hugh Jackman, he could definitely play him.

As Ultra Lantern said, I can't think of anyone suitable to play Wolverine, other than Hugh Jackman. For me, he's the impersonation of Wolverine. He made me like Wolverine. Because in the comics he's portrayed too much as an animal. He's a mutated human, not a beast. The same goes for some other mutants, like Sabertooth.

.......but thats who Wolverine is though. You basically don't like Wolverine then. I think there are plenty of people who could play the real Wolverine but its another to have some attempt to play Jackmans Wolverine(because its Jackmans).

.......but thats who Wolverine is though. You basically don't like Wolverine then. I think there are plenty of people who could play the real Wolverine but its another to have some attempt to play Jackmans Wolverine(because its Jackmans).

^^Amen! As I stated in my thread Why The Wolverine won't Hunt , a defining characteristic of Wolverine is his struggle with the beast inside him. He is a killer fighting what is in his nature to do. It is why he is a loner, it compels him to seek redemption for the terrible things he's done and it motivates him to go to Japan to learn control.

Jackman's Wolverine isn't driven by this conflict and does not capture the essence of the character. The character Jackman portrays might as well be Captain America with claws. He's noble, heroic and a little boring.

I enjoyed Xmen1 & 2. In United we got a glimpse of how vicious he could be but then we got the **** storm of Last Stand and Origins (which completely neutered the character.)

I like Hugh Jackman and appreciate what he did with the character the way he was written. But that character IMHO is not Wolverine.

I think with better writing and a director/studio who isn't afraid to take the character darker (which was the biggest problem of the last two films) that Hugh can certainly still take the character where he's supposed to be.

Honestly, his 60-second cameo in First Class was more Wolverine-like than nearly anything he got to do in the last two films.

I'm not ready to see someone else play Wolverine yet either. Doesn't mean I'm not a Wolverine fan.

Yeah, until there is an official reboot for the franchise and X4 is confirmed to never happen Hugh should remain Wolverine.

Sadly people will see Jackman as wolverine, just as people still see Arnold as Conan, both were not quite what they were suppose to be, but there they are. There is an Actor who could do him justice, but sadly will not get to, Christian Kane. If you don't know who he is watch a couple episodes of leverage, where he all but plays Wolverine already, minus the healing and claws.

Hugh is the man. I like him as Wolvie.

But since I can't think of an alternate actor I'd simply suggest going with a talented unknown who is short, stocky/muscular and looks a bit more like the comic version.

Well I've enjoyed Jackman as Wolverine. But if they were to do a re-cast I'd also like to see someone short, stalky and more animalistic looking like the "Patch" version of Wolverine.

Hugh jamb has now portrayed wolverine in every xmen movie....yes just a cameo in first class, but still it was him as the character. So what, that's 5 movies so far right? That's alot of movies. But really 4 movies his starred in and the fifth will be the wolverine.

In my opinion, he'll always be wolverine. But that doesn't mean that someone won't e able to take over someday and be fantastic.

Now we don't need a Hugh lookalike....we need someone who will be a Good wolverine. remember that people didn't like ledger over nicolson for joker....and look how that turned out ;)

I think there's someone who will be a good fit for wolverine someday when Hugh is done.

Will that person be better? Just as good? That will be everyone's personal opinion....guess we'll just have to wait and see

If they go with the PG13 and R cuts of The Wolverine we may get a full on berzerker fury Wolvie. Which I want to see. He barely went there in X1 and 2 and not much at all in Origins. I'd have liked to see him just out in the woods surviving the best he could after escaping Weapon X and all feral. Instead he went straight to a farm.

To me Jackman is the "film" wolverine, but as far as looks go I think perhaps Bradley Cooper could pull it off, but acting wise I have to agree Jackman nailed it.

I honestly think Hugh Jackman portrays Wolverine fantastically. However, if someone had to replace him, who do you think could do a good job playing wolverine?

billy.jpg

9795.gif

predator-oh-sh-faces-638-image_gallery_2208_sonny-landham-predator.jpg

This guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"