In The Heights | Warner Bros.

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Will Launch ‘In The Heights’ As 2020 Summer Event Pic

After winning the films rights to Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegría Hudes’ Tony-winning musical In the Heights in a heated auction for an estimated $50M, Warner Bros. has set a date for the feature adaptation directed by Jon M. Chu of June 26, 2020 in what will be positioned as a mass-appealing family musical prime for four-quad audiences.

At this point no cast is set, but Miranda is producing with the pic being adapted off Hudes’ script and Miranda’s music and lyrics. A decade ago, Miranda starred in the four-Tony-winning Broadway musical in which he played a bodega owner in Washington Heights who strikes it rich and plans to leave, until the pull of the neighborhood and the people in it give him pause. Miranda followed that up by creating Hamilton.

The auction that went down the first week of May between Warners, Fox, Paramount, Sony, Disney, Netflix and Apple entailed the studios receiving an early look at Hudes’ script with respective marketing departments involved in the pitch meetings to describe how they’d promote the film. Several studios dressed up back lots to resemble scenes in the movie. June 26 is a prime date for In the Heights as the musical also takes place during the summer, with a positive emphasis on family and community. The only other studio wide release scheduled on that date is an untitled Fox Marvel movie.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was in the pit band for a local production of this last summer, and it's officially one of my favorite musicals now. Curious to see if it'll be a more or less straight-up remake with mostly songs, or if they'll actually add more story and dialogue.

Side thought: though Corey Hawkins looks a bit too old to be Benny; most of the younger main characters are in their early-mid 20s or late teens in the musical. Anthony Ramos as Usnavi seems fine though.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s Stephanie Beatriz Joins the In the Heights Film Adaptation

Vulture has learned from a source with knowledge of the deal that Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s Stephanie Beatriz will join the much-anticipated screen adaptation of In the Heights, and she will be playing the role of Carla.

Per our source, other actors in talks for key parts are Olga Merediz, who would reprise her Broadway role as “Abuela” Claudia; Rhenzy Feliz, who is circling the role of Usnavi’s cousin, Sonny; and Daphne Rubin-Vega, who is being eyed for the character of Daniela, the salon owner and Carla’s close friend.

This is all really exciting, but I only really care about who's playing the piragua guy.

Steaphanie Beatriz :ilv:

dascha-polanco-and-stephanie-beatriz-are-seen-on-the-set-of-in-the-picture-id1151356712

linmanuel-miranda-seen-on-location-for-in-the-heights-in-washington-picture-id1151102656

This has been filming all over Washington heights the last few weeks. It looks INCREDIBLE.

This project is more interesting to me than Spielberg's West Side Story.

Very cool, not a huge musical fan but I like what Miranda does with the genre.

Trailer is beautiful; I've played in the pit orchestra for a local production of this show but I've never actually gotten a chance to see the action onstage, so definitely looking forward to seeing it come to life this way. I really like the old Cuba shot (what I'm assuming will be part of "Paciencia Y Fe") and it took me a couple of rewatches to recognize Miranda as the piragua guy.

The new angle with regards to deporting DREAMers looks like it'll add a bit of urgency to the plot in addition to the undercurrent of gentrification that the original story had, although how they'll fit that in I don't know. I feel like some folks might not be a fan of it for one reason or another and it'll be the sticking point of the film, even (or particularly) among those who like the original show on the grounds of not wanting "politics" getting involved. To that end though, the fact the main story looks like it's being framed as a flashback (Usnavi actually ended up in DR and tells these kids about what happened, although they somehow end up in NYC presumably at the end of the movie) seems to indicate that it'll be a more integral plot point rather than just a tacked-on side element.

Last edited:
i don't know much about the show but i'm really interested in it seeing it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"