In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

So...

THIS muthaforka:

That's an ostrich BTW.

Yes, a classic 3 egg omelette in an 8" pan as per Pepin and Keller.

By the way, for the carbon steel pan, I bought a Mauviel (the company famous for all of the classic French copper cookware). I understand that De Buyer and Matfer Bourgeat are also excellent. The Bourgeat is a bit lighter with a welded handle and the De Buyer is deeper and heavier. I choose the Mauviel because the shape suited my needs best, but all three companies are know to make excellent products - its really just personal preference.

Maybe I'll try one of those.

:funny:

Best post of the day. I'd ask for the recipe, but it would probably give me a heart attack.

We made Cornish Game Hens. Stuffed with onion, celery.lemon and basil. Rubbed and seasoned with olive oil, pepper and paprika. Bake at 375 (all you centigrade people beware :eek: ) for a little over an hour. Add rice pilaf and baby bok choi with a szechuan sauce.

Is it true? Do they look like ribs? I heard about this on a sports talk show today. The big topic was "Are you going to eat them when come out?"

I have absolutely no cooking skills and want to create a massive cauldron-full of a stew-type thing in which I can throw as wide a variety of vegetables as possible in along with some protein source. It would give me something to snack on in between meals that is much more healthy than my current in between meal snacks. Great if anyone could spell out the best way of going about this.

Meatballs:

One pound ground meat (I used beyond burgers because my daughter is a vegetarian)
1 egg
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
A little milk
Bread crumbs
Salt, pepper and crushed garlic

Mix meat, egg, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic together and then add bread crumbs and then milk until you get a nice soft consistency, but don't add too much milk.

Soup:

Coarsely chopped onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes and zucchini, minced or crushed garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and oregano (you can use whatever spices or vegetables you like. Cabbage is also good.)

Sautée the onions with oregano and olive oil for at least 5 minutes. Then add the carrots and celery for another 5. Add garlic for another 2 or 3. Add the tomatoes for 2. Add zucchini and toss around and add broth (use a similar broth to the meat. I used vegetable broth with the beyond burgers). Add about the same amount of water with bouillon (or just more broth maybe about 1.5 liters total) Add salt, pepper, and 5 BAY LEAVES. Bring to a rapid boil then drop in meatballs about 4 at a time. They bring the temperature down so you have to do it slowly to keep the boil going. Let boil for about 5 minutes

Lower heat and cook for about 20-30 minutes, tasting all the way and adding any of the spices as needed. You can cook a little longer if you like. When the flavors have permeated the broth, you're done.

EDIT: You can double the recipe and add a little more broth. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:
IjII78H.png

I have absolutely no cooking skills and want to create a massive cauldron-full of a stew-type thing in which I can throw as wide a variety of vegetables as possible in along with some protein source. It would give me something to snack on in between meals that is much more healthy than my current in between meal snacks. Great if anyone could spell out the best way of going about this.

Pot-au-feu - Wikipedia

Pot-au-Feu is a classic French stew that involves basically throwing every possible meat and vegetable into a pot and slow cooking them together. It takes a long time but it's pretty simple. Anthony Bourdain had a great simple recipe in his Les Halles Cookbook.... I'll see if I can it online for you.

Pot-au-feu - Wikipedia

Pot-au-Feu is a classic French stew that involves basically throwing every possible meat and vegetable into a pot and slow cooking them together. It takes a long time but it's pretty simple. Anthony Bourdain had a great simple recipe in his Les Halles Cookbook.... I'll see if I can it online for you.
Thanks! This sounds ideal for what I was looking for.

What if I want to grow a few inches taller? without cheating, of course.
Well, growing a sense of humor and growing a few inches (upwards) are two different things, but have you ever watched Gattaca?

Well, growing a sense of humor and growing a few inches (upwards) are two different things, but have you ever watched Gattaca?

Yes, key word being "upwards" or "taller", otherwise it would be getting thick or fat, you choose.

Gattaca, I've never seen it! But the title sounds very familiar.

Yes, key word being "upwards" or "taller", otherwise it would be getting thick or fat, you choose.

Gattaca, I've never seen it! But the title sounds very familiar.

In the 1998 science fiction film Gattaca, a character undergoes a medical procedure to make him taller. Bones in his legs are broken, and his legs are painfully stretched and placed in braces to allow the bones to heal back together longer than they were before.

Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman

Fasole batuto. Romanian bean dip

3 cans of white cannelini beans or other white beans - drain and rinse
4 garlic cloves - finely chopped
1.5 tsp of salt
2 tsp pepper
One large onion - finely chopped
2 large tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp of paprika
2-3 tsp of olive oil

1. Put white beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic in food mixer or blender, blend until smooth hummus-like texture
  2. Put oil in a frying pan and cook chopped onion until it starts to get brown/caramelized, then add tomato paste, and cook further until paste starts to leave oil; turn off heat and add paprika; mix and set aside
  3. Pour bean dip mixture into a bowl and put cooked onion and tomato paste on top and mix together. Eat with pita, chips or toast!

There is nothing like a good bean soup. I like to add a lot of veges.

I just cooked two garlic heads in the oven, got a decent amount of garlic paste, added some olive oil and it already smells very good!

Do you guys know how much does it last in the fridge? There's no salt in it just olive oil - I know that olive oil gets somehow hard when cold, do you think that it would "protect" the paste?

I just cooked two garlic heads in the oven, got a decent amount of garlic paste, added some olive oil and it already smells very good!

Do you guys know how much does it last in the fridge? There's no salt in it just olive oil - I know that olive oil gets somehow hard when cold, do you think that it would "protect" the paste?

I don't think it keeps that long. You can freeze it though. I just saw this and am thinking it might not keep that much longer. Not sure if olive oil will help. Experiment and see!!!!

I don't think it keeps that long. You can freeze it though. I just saw this and am thinking it might not keep that much longer. Not sure if olive oil will help. Experiment and see!!!!

Thanks

I made a huge pot of fish/veg stew. Given that I’m a person who’s hardly cooked in their life I thought it was a big achievement. I want to do the same thing but on a much larger scale now so I can cook for the whole week in one go and eat as much as I want. :D

I made a huge pot of fish/veg stew. Given that I’m a person who’s hardly cooked in their life I thought it was a big achievement. I want to do the same thing but on a much larger scale now so I can cook for the whole week in one go and eat as much as I want. :D

What kind of fish did you use? Veges? Broth? Spices? Cool. Way to go.

I'm gonna need some tips from my pros, here, I'm making this lovely piece of meat (mixed some bbq sauce, some garlic, pepper and poured it over the meat, for a few.hours!), Have some potatoes ready to bake and some arugula and Parmesan salad. But I need some sauce for the meat!!! What can I do?

Mixed some vegetables, some water and mixed it... It's a lovely... Soup! But I don't need a soup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"