In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

Glucose Popeye.

That's why I'm so sweet.

giphy.gif

Well it is asparagus season here in the northern hemisphere! And because pork fat rules and is spice of life and if you avoid it for "health" reasons, you become a cantankerous old man like our dear @InCali :oldrazz:, I'm contemplating a twist on that oldest of flavour pairings asparagus wrapped with bacon or ham as part of my menu tonight.

I'm thinking of simply blanching the asparagus for the freshest, most vibrant flavour and then garnishing them with a classic Lyonnaise bacon viniagrette and crispy lardons. :D

Well it is asparagus season here in the northern hemisphere! And because pork fat rules and is spice of life and if you avoid it for "health" reasons, you become a cantakerous old man like our dear @InCali :oldrazz:, I'm contemplating that oldest of flavour pairings asparagus wrapped with bacon or ham as part of my menu tonight.

I'm thinking of simply blanching the asparagus for the freshest, most vibrant flavour and then garnishing them with a classic Lyonnaise bacon viniagrette and crispy lardons. :D
:funny:

Fing LOVE asparagus.....just don't panic when you "relieve" yourself. I like them coated with olive oil, salt and a hint of pepper; grilled until just barely done so they are still crunchy. Eat em while they're hot! They are basically good just about any way you cook them, but I hate it when people overcook veges.

For breakfast, I think I'll have a mushroom, green onion, cheese, and bacon omelette, with some fried potatoes, and sausage......right before my heart attack.

Someone remind me to not go in this thread when I'm hungry

Someone remind me to not go in this thread when I'm hungry
But, that's the best time!

Speaking of which. They have tenderloin roasts (packaged) on sale for $9.99 a pound. That's a great price. They will need to be trimmed, but I'm thinking of aging a roast. For a sauce, I'm thinking mushrooms, onions, a little garlic/thyme, some red wine, butter, smidge of whipping cream, beef broth, salt and pepper. Maybe some roasted potatoes, with garlic and italian spices, and grilled asparagus.

Man, now I'M getting hungry.......

EDIT: I was going to say I was going to use A-1 Steak Sauce on the tenderloin because I wanted @DKDetective to flip out. LOL

Man, now I'M getting hungry...
Don't worry! I brought the wines.

I don't know how but I bought two bottles of white wine (even though I'd rather have some red wine, Malbec specifically): a Chadonnay (2020) which pairs quite well with sushi ant then this limited edition grüner veltliner (2020). The latter really is a mystery to me! Never heard of it before.

So, I got that tenderloin roast and some mushrooms and so forth. While I was there, I saw they had colossal sea scallops on sale and I got to thinking about my world renown Mariscos al Mojo de Chipotle (I think that's right, but just made it up now). I like to get an Adobo sauce with roasted chipotle peppers (you can do this yourself if you want to). The peppers give it a spicy, sort of smokey taste that I love. You can make it more or less spicy by using more or less peppers, but some of the roasted chipotles are a must. So, how do you make it?

Chop up some onions and put it in a large, heavy pot with olive oil and butter. Season it with celery salt, pepper, some bay leaves, and whatever sounds good to you (oregano, basil, marjoram, etc. are all good). When the onions are translucent, the fun begins. I use vegetable broth as my base and, after heating, I add the adobo/chipotle sauce, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sliced jalapenos, some potato, and whatever veges sound good to you. I add blanched broccoli towards the end as well as the veges I want to keep somewhat crisp. I like to add some red and orange bell peppers too. You can add a little wine of choice. I like to keep tasting it as it cooks and season to taste. You can get as creative as you want. When I've got it where I want it, I add the seafood......mmmmmmm......scallops, prawns, mussels, clams, a nice whitefish, etc. on the top of the mixture, cover and let cook for 5-10 minutes (until the clams open and the seafood is cooked). You can add whatever sounds good to you. Squeeze in some lime and you're ready to go. You can eat it as a stew or even serve it over rice.

@DeadlyWest You hungry?

So, I was saying the other day that they had tenderloin on sale for $10/pound. I was able to pick up a really nice center cut and made Chateaubriand (my own little twist on it of course). It was delicious and I still have a couple of servings left. I made some twice baked potatoes and quick broiled some asparagus (butter, olive oil, salt and pepper.....very simple). Came out really, really well (I mean medium rare lol).

The other day, I got a little bit careless chopping some melon that I give my dogs with their food. I cut the cuticle on the thumb side of my forefinger. It was one of those "flap cuts". I put a bandaid on it, but whenever I took it off, it would catch on something, that would hurt like hell, and start bleeding again. After about 3 days, I just trimmed off the flap and within a day, it is barely even sore, and is healing nicely. Wish I'd done that earlier.

The other day, I got a little bit careless chopping some melon that I give my dogs with their food. I cut the cuticle on the thumb side of my forefinger. It was one of those "flap cuts"

So you're making blood pudding now...

They may not look like it, but they're pretty fearsome. How's Zazu and that evil cat?

They may not look like it, but they're pretty fearsome. How's Zazu and that evil cat?

Smol creatures... we're terrifying, I know! :p

Zazu is currently living with my parents because they have way more space and he really needed it! A huge garden and backyard to destroy -hahaha - and Mona (the Border) also needed a buddy, so it was a win/win situation.

Mufasa is not evil!!! He's just a cat. He's much better now, thank you! I had to take him to the vet last week because he was peeing all over the place and he doesn't usually do that — I had to gave him antibiotics, the vet gave him a shot and prescribed him Royal Canin's "urinary S/O" for, at least, a month.

Now, my dad's poodle has these small warts - do your poodles have them too? I've read that those are quite common. Do you make your pets some special treats to improve their skin?

Smol creatures... we're terrifying, I know! :p

Zazu is currently living with my parents because they have way more space and he really needed it! A huge garden and backyard to destroy -hahaha - and Mona (the Border) also needed a buddy, so it was a win/win situation.

Mufasa is not evil!!! He's just a cat. He's much better now, thank you! I had to take him to the vet last week because he was peeing all over the place and he doesn't usually do that — I had to gave him antibiotics, the vet gave him a shot and prescribed him Royal Canin's "urinary S/O" for, at least, a month.

Now, my dad's poodle has these small warts - do your poodles have them too? I've read that those are quite common. Do you make your pets some special treats to improve their skin?
Sophia got those. The vet said that they are common with older poodles. We thought it might be cancer, but they said no.

I must say this is not food for thought........or vice versa.

Still good to check it out though......Max almost 17 now, has never gotten them.

Still good to check it out though......Max almost 17 now, has never gotten them.
Oh, yes! My father takes Baldo to the vet on a regular basis and so far those are all good.

Any miraculous drink for the flu??? Like... warm wine or something similar?

Is this still a thing? :p

@DKDetective it's been a while since you last showed us one of your grand dishes!!!
You want to see what I am cooking up in the kitchen these days? This is the extent of my culinary activities right now:
d5a98e72b93d4a4793c0ac5800a2195b

2 ounces of breast milk warmed until the circle lights up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"