In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

You want to see what I am cooking up in the kitchen these days? This is the extent of my culinary activities right now:
d5a98e72b93d4a4793c0ac5800a2195b

2 ounces of breast milk warmed until the circle lights up.
Love those gadgets :p

Can you get any sleep???

Love those gadgets :p

Can you get any sleep???
IIRC, he said he sleeps like a log. That being said, I'm sure his ash has gotten dragged out of bed more times than he wants to count. :funny:

If I recall correctly......

I'm like the only IT person in the world who hates acronyms, but I'm forced to use them. Sometimes I'll stare at them on the Hype for about 3 or 4 minutes before I figure them out. These people should've taken typing in high school like I did.

If I recall correctly......
Oh, my aliens!

No more acronyms for you :]

Have you ever tried the ricotta gnocchi? I've been thinking about give them a try since my last batch of potato gnocchi failed (big time!).

This is probably striking while the iron is ice cold, but I said fork it, started getting into cooking more and made this

Sweet Jesus I think I've ascended to a new plane of existence

This is probably striking while the iron is ice cold, but I said **** it, started getting into cooking more and made this

Sweet Jesus I think I've ascended to a new plane of existence

What kind of things have you been cooking?

What kind of things have you been cooking?

Nothing too special at the moment, just starting off basic before I start handling more complex stuff. Rn I'm kinda figuring out the seasoning situation and what I prefer as a combination for my personal seasoning, which I've been dry rubbing into fresh chicken breast and cooking that in an air fryer. Made an absolutely banging sandwich with it for work though, with this lovely ciabatta bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Delightful

Nothing too special at the moment, just starting off basic before I start handling more complex stuff. Rn I'm kinda figuring out the seasoning situation and what I prefer as a combination for my personal seasoning, which I've been dry rubbing into fresh chicken breast and cooking that in an air fryer. Made an absolutely banging sandwich with it for work though, with this lovely ciabatta bread, lettuce, tomato and mayo. Delightful
That's awesome and sounds great. Complex doesn't mean good and sometimes the simplest recipes turn out to be the best. I use a lot of vegetables because they are very easy to get in California and are inexpensive. Use what's easily available locally and experiment. It really is a lot of fun.

Also. Let us know what you make as you come up with things and what kinds of thing you like. To me, one of the biggest values of this thread is the sharing of ideas. I've posted several recipes (and have a lot more) that are, if I do say so myself, pretty good and if someone likes a particular style, I, and others, probably have good ideas for tweaks or similar style dishes.

Good luck.

Okay, something I've developed from a recipe online that borderline sends me into nirvana so I'm gonna send y'all the recipe

Soy glazed chicken
Take whatever form of chicken you wanna use or have (thigh, breast, wings, doesn't really matter. Only modification I'd recommend is to beat the breast to flatten it out or butterfly it if that's what you use) and put that in a mixing bowl. Add the following ingredients on top of the chicken
2.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
Dash of white pepper
0.5 tablespoon of Five Spice Powder
Teaspoon of sugar
Teaspoon of garlic powder

Mix all that together in the bowl, then leave to marinate to 30 minutes

Once that's done, if you have one, put your chicken in the air fryer at 380 degrees Fahrenheit/195 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. If you don't, 400 F/204 C in the oven for 30 minutes.

I think taking a bite into this for the first time made me gaze into the eyes of God

Also, if you need to substitute because you don't have an ingredient, by all means do so. First time I only had reduced salt soy sauce so I just added 4 tablespoons of that instead and the actual recipe calls for 3 cloves of garlic, which I similarly replaced with the teaspoon of garlic powder. I've also heard substituting the sugar for honey gives great results too.

Last edited:
Okay, something I've developed from a recipe online that borderline sends me into nirvana so I'm gonna send y'all the recipe

Soy glazed chicken
Take whatever form of chicken you wanna use or have (thigh, breast, wings, doesn't really matter. Only modification I'd recommend is to beat the breast to flatten it out or butterfly it if that's what you use) and put that in a mixing bowl. Add the following ingredients on top of the chicken
2.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
Dash of white pepper
0.5 tablespoon of Five Spice Powder
Teaspoon of sugar
Teaspoon of garlic powder

Mix all that together in the bowl, then leave to marinate to 30 minutes

Once that's done, if you have one, put your chicken in the air fryer at 380 degrees Fahrenheit/195 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. If you don't, 400 F/204 C in the oven for 30 minutes.

I think taking a bite into this for the first time made me gaze into the eyes of God

Also, if you need to substitute because you don't have an ingredient, by all means do so. First time I only had reduced salt soy sauce so I just added 4 tablespoons of that instead and the actual recipe calls for 3 cloves of garlic, which I similarly replaced with the teaspoon of garlic powder. I've also heard substituting the sugar for honey gives great results too.

What do you eat with it? In general, I tend to stay away from sweeter spices, but find that I like them when I try them. It's more of a "me" thing then an "it" thing. Mint is another one. I would almost never use it to cook, but if I try it, I like it more than I expected. Same with when I make a Szechuan sauce. I use the fairly common ingredients, but use very little of any kind of sweetener (sugar, honey, plum sauce). I will use it, but scale way back.

What do you eat with it? In general, I tend to stay away from sweeter spices, but find that I like them when I try them. It's more of a "me" thing then an "it" thing. Mint is another one. I would almost never use it to cook, but if I try it, I like it more than I expected. Same with when I make a Szechuan sauce. I use the fairly common ingredients, but use very little of any kind of sweetener (sugar, honey, plum sauce). I will use it, but scale way back.

So far, I've just had it with some egg fried rice with some peas which I chucked the same soy sauce I used on the chicken

I getcha with sweet stuff, admittedly I'm the exact opposite with my sweet tooth but in all honesty, with the pepper and garlic powder, along with only using a teaspoon of sugar/honey, it's not that sweet. It's there, but it's not overwhelming

So far, I've just had it with some egg fried rice with some peas which I chucked the same soy sauce I used on the chicken

I getcha with sweet stuff, admittedly I'm the exact opposite with my sweet tooth but in all honesty, with the pepper and garlic powder, along with only using a teaspoon of sugar/honey, it's not that sweet. It's there, but it's not overwhelming

Yeah. That sounds about right as far as the side dishes go. Stir fried veges would also be good. I don't even use honey in my BBQ sauce. LOL

People like sweet and sour also, but, while I'll eat it, i'm not real fond of it. Must be the more bittery beer taste I've gotten to expect and love. :D

Last edited:
Warming milk and not sleeping.
Oh, that's tough...
InfatuatedAltruisticBee-max-1mb.gif

You let this thread drop to page 6 without me? For shame!

In any event, we celebrated our little girl's 6 month birthday this week, so I cooked up something special tonight... A celebration of late autumn flavours.

Rack of Lamb with Cloves and Shallot Vinaigrette, Chestnut Puree, and Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms in the Style of Pierre and Michel Troisgros:
PXL_20221121_043036415.jpg
Paired with a 2020 Fleurie.

InfatuatedAltruisticBee-max-1mb.gif

You let this thread drop to page 6 without me? For shame!

In any event, we celebrated our little girl's 6 month birthday this week, so I cooked up something special tonight... A celebration of late autumn flavours.

Rack of Lamb with Cloves and Shallot Vinaigrette, Chestnut Puree, and Sauteed Shiitake Mushrooms in the Style of Pierre and Michel Troisgros:
View attachment 60079
Paired with a 2020 Fleurie.

Finally, DK! The chef from the Muppet Show wanted to audition as your replacement but we said "oh, heck no!".

6 months, huh? Squish her cheeks for me :D

Finally, DK! The chef from the Muppet Show wanted to audition as your replacement but we said "oh, heck no!".

6 months, huh? Squish her cheeks for me :D
Maison Troisgros' Pièce de boeuf au Fleurie et à la moelle, Gratin de pommes de terre à la Forezienne:
beef.jpg
potatoes.jpg
Current menu price about $110 USD.

PXL_20221204_033240689.jpg
I believe the technical term is "nailed it".

You guys will have to tell me if the cut is correct "topside" (or "nalga", in Spanish). With the best potatoes I've ever done, in my life! And I'ma huge potato fan...

I just used the tip of a thin knife to kinda break the potato, got some nice chunks, boiled them and I finally sautéed them with oil and butter until crisp. I've been told that by breaking them like that makes the starch work differently (or something like that).

20221208_142155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"