In the Kitchen with DKDetective and InCali: All Things Food, Wine, and Spirits, Etc.

I never had them before! I feel like an idiot (ha!) but am I supposed to peel them? I know that you have to cut the hard part but that's all I know.

I have smoked salmon in the fridge!
Nope. I pick out the ones that are thin because I like to cook hot and quick. Roasting and grilling are good.

I don't know how to put this delicately so I won't. Don't freak out when the color of your pee changes. :eek: It's normal.

EDIT: I usually broil or grill fresh salmon

I never had them before! I feel like an idiot (ha!) but am I supposed to peel them? I know that you have to cut the hard part but that's all I know.

I have smoked salmon in the fridge!

I agree with @InCali that I prefer my asparagus cooked simply. I like them blanched in salted boiling water until tender. The water should taste like sea water.

You do not technically need to peel them, but I find it is helpful if they are very thick. The thicker the asparagus the tougher and woodier the exterior. Thin ones are better left intact. The trick I learned from Thomas Keller's MasterClass for peeling them is to use a paring knife to pop off all of the little triangular leaves on the stem and then take a green scrubby like you use on pots and pans (a fresh one naturally) and rub it up and down the stalk until the colour lightens a bit. It removes the toughest layers without altering the shape and looks more natural than peeling. It is also quicker and easier.

Once blanched tender, you need to remove them immediately to a bowl of ice water to shock them so they stay bright green. How you warm them is up to you. The ice bath will have preserved the colour. You can re-warm them in the hot water and serve plain. Or you can toss them in a pan with a little clarified butter, or quickly sear them on a grill and garnish with some extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and Fleur de Sel.

I agree with @InCali that I prefer my asparagus cooked simply. I like them blanched in salted boiling water until tender. The water should taste like sea water.

You do not technically need to peel them, but I find it is helpful if they are very thick. The thicker the asparagus the tougher and woodier the exterior. Thin ones are better left intact. The trick I learned from Thomas Keller's MasterClass for peeling them is to use a paring knife to pop off all of the little triangular leaves on the stem and then take a green scrubby like you use on pots and pans (a fresh one naturally) and rub it up and down the stalk until the colour lightens a bit. It removes the toughest layers without altering the shape and looks more natural than peeling. It is also quicker and easier.

Once blanched tender, you need to remove them immediately to a bowl of ice water to shock them so they stay bright green. How you warm them is up to you. The ice bath will have preserved the colour. You can re-warm them in the hot water and serve plain. Or you can toss them in a pan with a little clarified butter, or quickly sear them on a grill and garnish with some extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and Fleur de Sel.

Is this guy insufferable or WHAT!?!?! :gibbs:

I agree with you and this is the disrespect I get?!? :o:oldrazz:

Welllllllllll. "I" prefer my asparagus to not be reheated. Although, I confess that I like them cold. They are really dynamite in a nice vegetable salad or as part of an antipasto plate.

Oh man, this thread is killing me. Every time I get on here, I get hungry. LOL.

New kitchen floor mat.

Look closely at the floor mat

@DKDetective you can drool over the oven, but only if you're cooking. :oldrazz:

upload_2020-9-16_20-3-55.png

Last edited:
just-kiss-already.gif

New kitchen floor mat.

Look closely at the floor mat

@DKDetective you can drool over the oven, but only if you're cooking. :oldrazz:

View attachment 37509
That's a gorgeous piece of equipment! The mat ain't too bad either, except for the fact that said cook does not even drink red wine! :oldrazz:

If we are going to compare equipment, here is my brand new custom made Brooklyn Butcher Blocks cutting board in endgrain walnut, with my set of Mac Pro knives:
IMG_20200916_182850.jpg

Also, I'm proud to say that when we build our next house in a few years, my wife has agreed that I get a 48" La Cornue with French Top in beautiful Royal Blue:
img83c.jpg

:D

That's a gorgeous piece of equipment! The mat ain't too bad either, except for the fact that said cook does not even drink red wine! :oldrazz:

If we are going to compare equipment, here is my brand new custom made Brooklyn Butcher Blocks cutting board in endgrain walnut, with my set of Mac Pro knives:
View attachment 37510

Also, I'm proud to say that when we build our next house in a few years, my wife has agreed that I get a 48" La Cornue with French Top in beautiful Royal Blue:
img83c.jpg

I'm not getting anywhere near someone who has those knives or such gaudy taste in kitchen appliances.

View attachment 37510

img83c.jpg

Seriously though. I've never heard of that stove. Tell us about it.

View attachment 37510

img83c.jpg

I could totally show you my knives... but then we all would cry.

That 48 cordon blue :p is more beautiful than Brad or George.

Seriously though. I've never heard of that stove. Tell us about it.
La Cornue is a French brand of high end stoves. They invented the convection oven in the early 20th century. Their ovens have vaulted ceilings which create natural convection currents without the need for a fan. Allegedly is better for baking and roasting because it keeps the air moister.

The one I posted is from the "CornuFe" line, which is their "budget" line and is comparable in price to a similar sized Thermador, Wolf, Viking, or other commercial styled high end range (think BMW, Mercedes, Porsche in car terms). The full blown La Cornue stoves, the "Chateau" line, are the stove equivalents of Ferrari, Lambo, or Aston-Martin - Handmade pieces of industrial art:
4944-14356945.jpg

66b225a662dd71c6cfff8a96a23f14fd.jpg

f4ae76c15fa85cd1c5f65b3d3c293cd6.jpg

If I won the lottery, my dream stove would be one of those massive Grand Palais 180 models set in a stainless steel island in French Blue... :drl:

P.S. I finally decided to heed @DarthSkywalker's advice and edit the thread title. It turned out quite accurate. :funny:

La Cornue is a French brand of high end stoves. They invented the convection oven in the early 20th century. Their ovens have vaulted ceilings which create natural convection currents without the need for a fan. Allegedly is better for baking and roasting because it keeps the air moister.

The one I posted is from the "CornuFe" line, which is their "budget" line and is comparable in price to a similar sized Thermador, Wolf, Viking, or other commercial styled high end range (think BMW, Mercedes, Porsche in car terms). The full blown La Cornue stoves, the "Chateau" line, are the stove equivalents of Ferrari, Lambo, or Aston-Martin - Handmade pieces of industrial art:
4944-14356945.jpg

66b225a662dd71c6cfff8a96a23f14fd.jpg

f4ae76c15fa85cd1c5f65b3d3c293cd6.jpg

If I won the lottery, my dream stove would be one of those massive Grand Palais 180 models set in a stainless steel island in French Blue... :drl:

P.S. I finally decided to heed @DarthSkywalker's advice and edit the thread title. It turned out quite accurate. :funny:

Too funny. I didn't notice that until I read this. Now I know I've arrived.:funny:

They remind me of pieces of Baroque architecture.

That's just the morning wine. :p

That's morning "sparkling" wine to you pal.....with an artichoke/spinach frittata, home fried potatoes (olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and maybe a little salsa fresca), and some parfaits of your choice.

Then a nap....weekends only of course.

And yet if I had a closet full of weed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"