Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

It'll have a happy ending. It would be too out-of-step with the rest of the franchise to kill Jones off. I see no reason why James would want to go so far from formula, nor do I think Spielberg (who's still producing) would allow it. I know people have a knee-jerk "but this is the guy who made Logan" reaction, but just because Mangold did it there doesn't mean he's incapable of having any other type of ending.

The life of Mutants in Marvel Comics are often one of suffering and strife--it's tonally more appropriate there than it is here.

Indy will be tested in this film. He'll be questioning his mortality and his age, perhaps maybe his purpose. The film will "go there" in regards to such things, but it isn't going to end things on a sour note.

If anything, any sour note will probably be early on. I think it's telling that we haven't heard anything about Karen Allen appearing in the film. Perhaps Marion has died prior to the start, so Indy is dealing with bitter days, but getting one last adventure is what he needs. And I think Jones' emotional arc will deal with passing up the possibility of using time travel for his own desires, deciding it isn't who he is (much like the ending of TOD/LC). I think this will leave Indy feeling fulfilled and that's how we end.

Idk, Mangold loves traumatizing nerds lol
haha well I honestly think we are gonna see an Unforgiven esque movie but with loads of action and adventure here. I actually think the ending will have to do with him and Marion somehow, but not him dying.

It would be glorious. Just like with Craig's Bond.

I'm still mad that Nolan cheated us out of Batman actually sacrificing himself in TDKRises...

Would Indy's death be a dealbreaker for you guys? Just curious.
I'm all for hero deaths if it's done well. I loved No Time to Die. And I was tearing up when I thought Bales Batman was dead haha, but in a good way.

I'm all for hero deaths if it's done well. I loved No Time to Die. And I was tearing up when I thought Bales Batman was dead haha, but in a good way.
But Batman actually being alive is what makes for the more superior and impactful ending after all.

Personally I'm not necessarily against it, but, for one, I feel like lately it's been done a bit to death (no pun intended) and also I haven't particularly liked it all that much in the films that I've seen it in the recent years. In all of Logan, Endgame and No Time to Die it felt forced. All the actors wanted out, pushed for that ending and it showed.

Mangold handled it a bit better, because he gave Wolverine a less ultimate sacrafice cliched ending and he was the first one to do it, so he gets props for risking. But I still can't see it worked for me as much as the movie tried to.

Honestly, it all comes down to execution (still not intended), but there's nothing wrong for a happy ending for seasoned heroes. I think I'd take that for Indy, though I kind of have a feeling that I won't.

But Batman actually being alive is what makes for the more superior and impactful ending after all.

Personally I'm not necessarily against it, but, for one, I feel like lately it's been done a bit to death (no pun intended) and also I haven't particularly liked it all that much in the films that I've seen it in the recent years. In all of Logan, Endgame and No Time to Die it felt forced. All the actors wanted out, pushed for that ending and it showed.

Mangold handled it a bit better, because he gave Wolverine a less ultimate sacrafice cliched ending and he was the first one to do it, so he gets props for risking. But I still can't see it worked for me as much as the movie tried to.

Honestly, it all comes down to execution (still not intended), but there's nothing wrong for a happy ending for seasoned heroes. I think I'd take that for Indy, though I kind of have a feeling that I won't.
oh I agree totally. The ending we got is absolutely superior.

December 1st is a strong possibility now

"The #DisneyNaCCXP is coming with everything to #CCXP22 ! The panels will take place on Thursday, 12/1. Lucasfilm will bring news about the third season of “The Mandalorian” and the fifth film of “Indiana Jones”.

John Campea just said on his show that yesterday, when he said that Iger returning would only strengthen Kathleen Kennedy's position, that two people with sources, one of them having never been wrong, contacted him and said that the decision has already been made and she'll be leaving Lucasfilm after Indy 5.

Last edited:
December 1st is a strong possibility now

I know it's probably a placeholder logo and I haven't been following every bits of news about this movie (I don't need/want to know much before the release), nor I have followed the thread, but what if the title ended up being just "Indiana Jones" ?
In the same fashion than other revivals like "John Rambo", "Rocky Balboa", and of course, Mangold's previous "old man hero" movie, "Logan".

Would you find this disappointing ? I kind of like that sobriety for a finale film...

I know it's probably a placeholder logo and I haven't been following every bits of news about this movie (I don't need/want to know much before the release), nor I have followed the thread, but what if the title ended up being just "Indiana Jones" ?
In the same fashion than other revivals like "John Rambo", "Rocky Balboa", and of course, Mangold's previous "old man hero" movie, "Logan".

Would you find this disappointing ? I kind of like that sobriety for a finale film...
I doubt that's what it's going to be. Lucasfilm's just being coy like they did with Rise of Skywalker.

Can't post because of swears, but BSL, a very reliable insider, just said on twitter "just heard something REALLY cool and all I can say is James Mangold is an absolute ******* genius"

Can't post because of swears, but BSL, a very reliable insider, just said on twitter "just heard something REALLY cool and all I can say is James Mangold is an absolute ******* genius"
Twitter? Whats that?? lol

This trailer can't come soon enough, but I'm trying not to have flashbacks to 2008

And as to the above question, I wouldn't want the title to just be "Indiana Jones"
This is (hopefully) not going to be some sad somber introspective final film, but one last great adventure... it must keep the "Indiana Jones and The..." titles going

article from Empire. Some new info, and I LOVE that Mangold refused to use the Volume.

"The year is 1969. A man named Henry Jones Jr, near the end of his professional life, is staring retirement in the face like it's a swaying cobra. After decades of quests mingled with academic lessons, in which he's dispensed mountains of textbooks and whipped his way through endless hair-raising scenarios, he's facing the grim truth: it's all over. Compounding matters, the country he loves is transforming around him. This old-fashioned hero is now a man out of time. He will not, it's safe to say, be going to see Zabriskie Point.

But he has forgotten one thing. That if adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones. And adventure isn't done with him yet."

"Since marrying Marion Ravenwood, Indiana Jones has embraced - or tried to embrace - domesticity. He's initially reluctant, then, when that mischief arrives, in the form of Helena, played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge."

"If anyone in early meetings brought it up, I'd say, 'No Volumes, please!" says Mangold of rejecting the tech used by the likes of The Mandalorian to build worlds inside a studio. There are planes, trains, horses, trucks and - in a first for an Indy movie - helicopters. We will head to crypts, bazaars, even underwater (watch out for sea snakes!). "Every type of vehicle. Every country. We have scenes that are recreating really iconic, giant events," teases producer Simon Emanuel."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"