Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film) - Part 3

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Thread Manager, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]541981[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]541641[/split]

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

$1,098,950 today, only 21.9% down on last Thursday. The weekday holds are starting to get really impressive.

4. Superhero 101

Can it get to 2 billion?? I think it can

5. Iceman

Oh it’s definitely happening now after last weekend’s boost.

6. JKKS085

JKKS085 Well-Known Member

One of the last possible but not guaranteed milestones I will be looking at is wether or not it can get to 1B os minus China with Jurassic World rolling out early in most os markets and the impending World Cup.

7. iEquinox

iEquinox Well-Known Member

Think it'll get within $5M of the $2B mark this weekend, and the pass it during the following few weekdays.

8. Iceman

Party time soon!

9. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

It's locked at this point. DOM alone will see it get there.

10. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

That's summer weekdays starting to kick in. Better late than never.

11. Iceman

Yeo, good to see it finally benefiting from those. Hopefully it can extend its late legs a little.

12. Warlock

Warlock Well-Known Member

I think it will be about 5-10m off after this weekend. But next weekend it will get there. We shall see though. This week it passes JW to move into #5 domestic and next week it will sink the Titanic at #4 domestic.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  13. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

This movie will have made as much as the combined box office of all the Phase One solo movies.

I remember reading on these boards once that it’s the same group of people seeing these movies so you can’t just combine the individual box offices and expect that to be what an Avengers movie would do.

14. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

Yup, I remember before TA1 came out, the narrative around here was that IM2's box office was the best Marvel could hope for. Good times.

15. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

There are obviously more people buying tickets to see MCU films now than there ever have been.

Just the other day someone here said that Avengers 4 can't possibly increase much from IW because everyone who's ever going to see an Avengers movie has already seen IW. In other words, in their mind, there is no way for the audience to increase in the future. To me, that's just a faulty assumption. Increased hype building up to A4 will definitely factor into peoples' desire to see it, for instance. More people will watch IW either through streaming or on disk, as well, and some of them will want to see A4 and other MCU films in theaters. Certainly, there will be an upper limit for audience growth, but it's premature to say the MCU has hit the ceiling yet.

16. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

As a father who was forced to sit through many DVD sessions of Cars 2, you don't have any obligation to see that movie; it was quite terrible, especially by Pixar's high standards.

17. honestbharani

honestbharani Well-Known Member

Even if we do take this as MCU's peak, it is only US domestic though. Internationally, MCU is still a growing brand and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. And as long as the movies are this good and rewatchable, the numbers will keep increasing IMO.

18. Iceman

The same group of people who are very forgetful between films apparently!

19. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

What I find gratifying is Marvel said 'if you haven't watched the other movies to get up to speed that's your problem not ours'. Next to no character development or exposition for the heroes they just get on with it and the movie was their most successful ever.
    On Rotten Tomato some reviews have dinged the movie because they say newcomers will be lost. Not a valid criticism as far as I'm concerned, that's the whole point of the cinematic universe.

20. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

This does feel the last Marvel event movie though because there is no threat bigger than Thanos. I don't think the Beyonder would make a good cinematic villain.

21. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Galactus and his heralds can possibly make for a Fantastic multiple film event if they can ever get their hands on him.

22. iEquinox

iEquinox Well-Known Member

Friday estimate is $1,819,000. Expecting a weekend of about $6.8M, which would be a 35% drop, very nice hold(best hold so far). Domestic total is up to $649,716,699.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2018-06-08&track=marvel0518.htm

It's also passing Jurassic World's domestic total today(Saturday) to enter the top 5 all time domestic, and it'll pass Titanic next weekend to take the number 4 spot.

23. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

Don’t forget repeat viewings. Audience may not grow much between IW and A4 but if it’s a satisfying conclusion to the downer IW was, I think people will see it more than once. I can see IW ending turning people off from a repeat viewing.

24. Flemm

Flemm Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem to have really been the case, since Infinity War has held as well as other recent Marvel releases in the same slot, in spite of the huge opening. So, if anyone found the ending to be too much of a downer for repeat viewings, then something else has compensated.

Having said that, I could A4 doing even better if they really nail it. That's the reason to hit the audience with the atypical ending: it makes the final victory all that much sweeter when it happens.

25. Iceman

Good hold again. Hopefully it goes like this from now till the end of the run. Nice to see some movement on the all time domestic chart again.