Infinity War Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film) - Part 3

Where did that happen? Black Panther grossed overseas less than even Iron Man 3.
Not to mention that the reviews were far more middling.

Post would have been stronger without the "even". IM3 has the 16th highest overseas take ever.

Where do you get your news sir?

From my local news. In my country Black Panther grossed less than "Thor: Ragnarok" and "Justice League" and was met with indifference by both critics and fans.

And from what I have read that's pretty much the story in most European countries.

From my local news. In my country Black Panther grossed less than "Thor: Ragnarok" and "Justice League" and was met with indifference by both critics and fans.

And from what I have read that's pretty much the story in most European countries.

Then ypu have read wrong because BPmade close to 650million OS which is wayore than the average MCU solo. Even Spider-man gross less OS. Only Batman as a solo character is in that range OS....

Then ypu have read wrong because BPmade close to 650million OS which is wayore than the average MCU solo. Even Spider-man gross less OS. Only Batman as a solo character is in that range OS....

Yes, it made plenty of money because of all the hype.
But still, it was one of those rare movies that made more money domestically than abroad (like Solo). Compare that to "Infinity War" which made abroad twice as much money as it made domestically.

And its critical reception was far less rapturous outside the US.

Frankly, most of the people I've spoken to don't quite understand why this film became a cultural phenomenon. It's a typical Marvel origin story, no better or worse than "Thor" or "Ant-Man".

Yes, it made plenty of money because of all the hype.
But still, it was one of those rare movies that made more money domestically than abroad (like Solo). Compare that to "Infinity War" which made abroad twice as much money as it made domestically.

And its critical reception was far less rapturous outside the US.

Frankly, most of the people I've spoken to don't quite understand why this film became a cultural phenomenon. It's a typical Marvel origin story, no better or worse than "Thor" or "Ant-Man".
That's just because it exploded domestically, not because it did badly overseas. If you want to see how it did overseas you just look at raw overseas numbers and compare to the overseas numbers of other big films. No point comparing them to the domestic when the dom was an absolute freak and the 3rd largest film ever. Unless it also exploded everywhere else it wasn't going to make a lot more overseas than that crazy domestic number. The overseas numbers are a positive surprise, just a much smaller surprise than the domestic numbers. And I guess this would be true if you look back at your own predictions before the film came out, unless of course you originally expected it to make more overseas for some reason.

What country is that? Ignoring the US, BP still made significantly more than those films overseas, so however much less it made in your country was more than made up for by how much more it made in other non US countries. It isn't an unusual thing for films to do far better in some territories than others. Even successful films can do poor numbers in some countries where they don't quite click, while others can explode in certain countries (like Warcraft in China) despite failing in most markets.

What country is that? Ignoring the US, BP still made significantly more than those films overseas, so however much less it made in your country was more than made up for by how much more it made in other non US countries. It isn't an unusual thing for films to do far better in some territories than others. Even successful films can do poor numbers in some countries where they don't quite click, while others can explode in certain countries (like Warcraft in China) despite failing in most markets.

Don't think he is saying it did badly just that it wasn't record breaking which the post he originally replied to suggested. In the uk for example it didn't break any records it was pretty far down the list of biggest box office.

Don't think he is saying it did badly just that it wasn't record breaking which the post he originally replied to suggested. In the uk for example it didn't break any records it was pretty far down the list of biggest box office.

Exactly. I remember how everybody was hyped here after the great reviews and the monstrous opening in the US.
And then we went to see the film and our reaction was "That's it? That's the film everybody is going crazy about?".

Exactly. I remember how everybody was hyped here after the great reviews and the monstrous opening in the US.
And then we went to see the film and our reaction was "That's it? That's the film everybody is going crazy about?".

Exactly. That was the response in all OS markets.

Everybody went to see it cause it was hyped hence the 40% boost for OS numbers. Nobody thought it was amazing.
Its just a typical decent superhero film.Nothing more.

Imho its nowhere near as good as the best MCU (Avengers1,TWS,GoTG,CW,IW) films but it isnt on the low side either. My personal worst of the MCU is GotG2 even though the original GotG is in my top 5.

Didn't think much of it myself tbh. Think it also got a boost being so close to iw. You didn't have time for it to come out on dvd or a decent stream to watch it before iw. You don't want to go into iw having missed part of the story. Think cm will get a boost also.

Infinity War's box office closed out its domestic run on September 13 on its 20th week. Here's how it stacked up.

Among domestic movies >$600M

Among the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Dn0gqWm.png

Among top earners' stamina
2twKEYM.png

CfS90tx.png

Infinity War's box office closed out its domestic run on September 13 on its 20th week. Here's how it stacked up.

Among domestic movies >$600M

Among the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Dn0gqWm.png

Among top earners' stamina
2twKEYM.png

CfS90tx.png
Awesome stats mate. Hope you keep updating this for years to come. :cool::up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads