Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film) - Part 3

Discussion in 'Avengers: Infinity War' started by Thread Manager, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Zyraquis

Zyraquis Well-Known Member

I would think the other way around. Given the movie is pretty well reviewed those who saw it but missed out other MCU movies could seek them out to understand the movie and the subtleties better and will return better versed and perhaps make more viewings for IW2 now that they know the universe well. Of course assuming the movie next year is as good as this one.

2. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel SHAZAM!

Yep. My sisters has only seen a few MCU movies, but now that she’s seen Infinity War, she’s going to see more to get caught up.

3. First Avenger

First Avenger Well-Known Member

Superhero fatigue indeed.

4. NHawk19

NHawk19 insert witty comment

I'm sure she's not the only one. Honestly that's the biggest benefit of the way Marvel is doing things. It keeps the DVD/Blu-ray movie values up (you never see MCU really in the value bin at Wal-Mart) and extends the merchandising for multiple years.

The whole thing reminded me of this Mental Floss article on a 1957 Disney flow chart for merchandising.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65774/50s-flowchart-reveals-disneys-strategy-corporate-domination

5. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Heart of Fire

A4 could be named Avengers: Give Us Your Mon4y and I still would.

6. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

That's got a ring to it. ;)

7. JOE

JOE _________________________

Superhero fatigue is clickbait, nothing more.

8. Iceman

It was fine as a theory, just hasn't really worked out in practise. The thing that wasn't considered is that fatigue in other genres in the past has gone hand in hand with a downturn in quality as fresh ideas run out and everyone tries to cash in . The MCU has improved on quality so we are not seeing any decline.

9. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Superhero fatigue WILL happen. But it's years off.

10. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

Yep, it took like 30-40 years for genre fatigue to kill Westerns.

11. Iceman

How many years? If we're talking decades then it's not really relevant to talk about now. At some point the sun will go supernova and at that point superhero films won't be doing too well anyway.

12. 8ulk87

8ulk87 Well-Known Member

Superhero fatigue ?

Why not CInema fatigue in general then ?

Imho "superhero fatigue" is a stupid notion.

If the quality of the films is good box office results will be good.

There will be no such thing as superhero fatigue.

Name a genre than has been a victim of fatigue the last 100 years of cinema history.
    Give me examples of good films that have bombed. Gimme examples of back to back good films of a specific genre that bombed.

There is no such thing as superhero fatigue when we only have 20 years of superhero film history.

13. spider-neil

You only have to look at the western genre. It dominanted cinema and now you only get a handful (if that) of westerns a year.

The cycle is unavoidable
    1. Success
    The genre as a whole makes a ton of money.

2. Over saturation
    Every studio wants a slice of that money as they see that is what the general audience is gravitating towards.

3. Parody
    Every trope has been done to death the only thing left is to make fun of the genre.

4. Collapse
    The genre implodes as the returns for the genre dwindles.

It happened to westerns.
    It happened to horror.
    It will happen to the superhero genre. My biggest hope is my favorite characters and favorite comic stories makes it to the big screen before that happens.

14. Iceman

Not possible in this case as the rights to make these films are limited to a small number of studios and possibly getting even smaller.

15. spider-neil

Studios can make up superheroes. Mystery Men was brand new superhero property completely made up.

16. Iceman

And why do you think they've hardly done that so far?

The answer is here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mysterymen.htm

$33,461,011 lifetime worldwide gross.

Budget: $68m

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  17. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

:huh::huh::huh:

18. Iceman

19. spider-neil

Horror peaked in the late 80's early 90's. It had a mini revival with Scream but it's never going to hit those 80's heights again.

20. spider-neil

That's a handful of successful movies rather than a dominant genre.

21. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

Super-hero fatigue will never happen because people on this board would never let it happen, we exist so those films can.

Marvel MCU will keep operating as they are and at some point you have to think (and hope) WB/DC can get their act together.

Whether it be existing film series / re-boot / re-energise / re-establish, however one wishes to pre-determine said film releases within the genre, the genre itself will not 'burn out'.

People are quoting the 'Western' as an example of if not complete end then diminished popularity, that could be said of any genre, at one point or another, one genre will be more popular and 'in' than another, but they all manage to co-exist and make sufficient $$$$ to allow more to be placed into production and thrive on the 'in-built' demand. In this case, WE are the 'in-built' demand, I cannot imagine a time where a group of us said 'No more CBM's for me, thanks all the same'.

The minority fan or audience 'culture' as was in my childhood are now the mass majority audience and consumer for this genre.

22. Iceman

I think the Western itself is the freak. It's the only one that's always brought up when people mention this. There is still a big market for horror films and that is more of a GA thing than a fan thing. Same goes for comedies, romance, action films. They are all staples of cinema enjoyment which I believe are around for good. Sci-fi, fantasy and superhero films will fluctuate more with quality but I don't see any of them dying off like the Western.

23. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

I think Iceman nailed it.

24. Iceman

Hopefully today is back over $1m. Feels like we are in the clouds now with this thing still making money past the $2B mark. :woot:

25. Flemm

Flemm Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's because the Western is tied to a specific set of circumstances (historical period, geographical area), and was largely built up around a romanticized version of those events that hasn't stood the test of time.

It doesn't strike me that superhero films will end up being comparable, as they don't have those limitations. They can draw on a variety of different genres and characters. It's a very flexible concept. A protagonist with powers who does heroic things.

Superhero films may very well be experiencing a peak right now. Technology is allowing almost anything to be adapted, including many things that would have been impractical in live action previously. Marvel Studios has made a breakthrough in terms of building up lesser known characters. But I don't see the concept becoming dated like the Western.

I also don't think that very broad genres like comedy, horror, tragedy, and drama, or whatever, are good comparisons. We can use the same word for that, but it's really a different concept. These "genres" have more to do with the tone of the story than the content.

A better comparison might be detective stories, for example. Or spy stories. Those "genres" also correspond more to the content of the story than the tone. I don't see them becoming dated like the Western did, as they are also quite flexible.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018