Infinity War Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Daffy Duck Vs The Joker
Staff member
Reaction score
Predict the performance of the first Infinity War film worldwide in the poll above (can do a new poll for the 2nd film after the first comes out), and give your opinion on domestic, overseas and total figures for both films below.

Said $1.8-2bn. This will be the culmination of years of work on tv and cinema. It is something never seen before. Even people who don't like comic books might have their curiosity peaked. Hopefully civil war will carry on the form of winter soldier and the russos confirm that it wasn't a fluke. Can't wait.

A little bit over 1 Billion. Don't think it's gonna touch 2 Billion.

Depends on the competition, word of mouth and (inevitably) the Rotten Tomatoes rating. The biggest challenge for this movie being a strong film in its own right without feeling like a set-up for part 2.

Without any element of context regarding the popularity of the Marvel brand, or the popularity of the genre or how well the movie going business is going to be 3 year from now, or how the international markets are going to fare, without any indication of the path this film is going to take, of the line up of characters they are going to use, I can see a slight decrease from Age Of Ultron.

It usually happens in the case of endings divided in two films (see Harry Potter, albeit DH1 was saved by the growth of international markets, Twilight or Hunger Games). Especially if they decide to keep the big 4 (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) for IW part 2 and focus on newer characters.

Now I'm not sure wether or not Marvel is going to play "the end of an era" card, especially if RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth get new contracts for Phase 4 and beyond, but it definitely feels like they will right now. A lot can change of course.

As for predicting I would say $1.3B is the floor (especially if Spider-Man is involved), but then again, 3 years from now the chinese market might be just as big or bigger as the domestic one on a regular basis so its really hard to tell.

These days only a select few even get close to 2 billion. But I think maybe, just maybe if Marvel plays there cards right they can get 2 bill on at least on of the parts. I think either part 1 will be that part.

Without any element of context regarding the popularity of the Marvel brand, or the popularity of the genre or how well the movie going business is going to be 3 year from now, or how the international markets are going to fare, without any indication of the path this film is going to take, of the line up of characters they are going to use, I can see a slight decrease from Age Of Ultron.

It usually happens in the case of endings divided in two films (see Harry Potter, albeit DH1 was saved by the growth of international markets, Twilight or Hunger Games). Especially if they decide to keep the big 4 (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) for IW part 2 and focus on newer characters.

Now I'm not sure wether or not Marvel is going to play "the end of an era" card, especially if RDJ, Evans and Hemsworth get new contracts for Phase 4 and beyond, but it definitely feels like they will right now. A lot can change of course.

As for predicting I would say $1.3B is the floor (especially if Spider-Man is involved), but then again, 3 years from now the chinese market might be just as big or bigger as the domestic one on a regular basis so its really hard to tell.

The "big four" will definitely be in both movies. There's no way Marvel would have the first film centre around new characters, as it would just be too much of a risk.

The "big four" will definitely be in both movies. There's no way Marvel would have the first film centre around new characters, as it would just be too much of a risk.

I don't know. Guardians Of The Galaxy revolved around entirely new, mostly unknown characters and made $774M at the box office.
By the time of Infinity War Part I's release they will have introduced and handful of new characters (Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr Strange) that may be able to draw audiences in a team-up film. And that is not accounting for players already introduced in Phase 2 (namely Falcon, Scarlett Witch, Vision and Ant-Man) that are becoming more and more popular and who will definitely benefit from more exposure in Civil War.

I'm not sure taking the big four out of most of Infinity War Part I to save them for the big finale of that 5 hours epic is much of a risk. I'm not saying that's what Marvel is going to do, I'm not saying that's what they should do but the very reason we're getting as many original films in Phase 3 as we got in Phase 1 is because they need to bring forward new characters that will eventually take over the Hulk, Cap, Thor and Iron Man of this world.

I think the smartest thing they could do to gaurentee box office success is play ALL of there cards in both films. Have everyone appear in both films, not just the new heroes, not just the original heroes, everyone. And market that fact. Market the fact that this is what the MCU has been building up too. Make everyone believe that this is the big finale to the MCU. Everyone even those who are dissappointed in the recent MCU productions, will see it.

If IW1 is a better received film than AoU I think it will do more, possible a fair big more, depending on which new characters are included and to what extent (especially Spidey and GotG).

I think the novelty of something like IW will give it the edge over past Avengers films.

I think it does have added novelty, especially compared to AoU. A lot will depend on how good Thanos is. He has to be a hell of a lot more threatening than Ultron for one thing!

There's pretty much zero chance the first part of the Infinity War makes 2 billion or more. It's going to depend on competition that year, reception of the rest of the MCU movies and general genre fatigue. We're talking about a massive amount of cbm in the next few years so no one really knows how the GA will receive them but I don't see it doing much more than the first Avengers. Could do a lot less even.

To be fair, by the time Infinity War Part 1 roles around, the new characters, Dr Strange, Spidey,and Panther will be well established. And it will help if they include the Guardians.

Evans and Hemsworth have already said they're in both movies. Evans has said filming will be 9 months when talking about his upcoming schedule. RDJ signed specifically for Avengers 3 after the first Avengers movie, he just can't be switched over the the 4th one.

Feige has said he extended several contracts to the end of Infinity Wars.

Evans and Hemsworth have already said they're in both movies. Evans has said filming will be 9 months when talking about his upcoming schedule. RDJ signed specifically for Avengers 3 after the first Avengers movie, he just can't be switched over the the 4th one.

Feige has said he extended several contracts to the end of Infinity Wars.

But in what capacity? Thor could be in Hel, trying to make it back. I just want Captain Marvel to be the big hero that warns everyone about Thanos and bridge the cosmic stuff with Earth. I suspect IW 1 to focus on The Guardians trying to protect Xandar against Thanos and Introduce Mar-Vell to set up the Captain Marvel movie. Thanos will probably use the Kree to wage a proxy war against Earth. It's possible the heroes may never even meet Thanos until part II.

Why would Avengers 3 focus on The Guardians and not The Avengers?

Because the Avengers are on Earth and Thanos is not.

For Infinity Wars to work, Thanos must collect the Infinity Stones from where they are being kept. That means he must visit Xandar, Knowhere, and Asgard before heading to Earth. When does this happen? We don't now but a good bet would be in the first Infinity Wars film meaning the focus is not on the Avengers but on Thanos and the Guardians.

It is also possible that Thanos visits several of these places in other films before Infinity Wars. I have long believed Thanos could show up in Thor: Ragnarok and I think it is probable we see Thanos again in Guardiansv2. That could eliminate two or three stops before Thanos turns his attentions to Earth in Infinity Wars and collecting the last several stones.

Then do it in a Guardians movie. When I watch an Avengers movie I actually want Avengers.

Then do it in a Guardians movie. When I watch an Avengers movie I actually want Avengers.

Why not both? Guardians and Avengers can both be in the same movie, and the Guardians have their own story to tell in their own movie. Besides, Thanos attacking Xandar for the Power Stone would have to be part of the Infinity War. As any war, it could be going on in different fronts. After Asgard is destroyed in Thor:Ragnarok, Thanos makes his move against Xandar and sends the Kree to Earth to involve the heroes in the Infinity War and help set up the Captain Marvel movie.

The Avengers of the Galaxy, now that's a team up I'd pay too see.

Why not both? Guardians and Avengers can both be in the same movie, and the Guardians have their own story to tell in their own movie. Besides, Thanos attacking Xandar for the Power Stone would have to be part of the Infinity War. As any war, it could be going on in different fronts. After Asgard is destroyed in Thor:Ragnarok, Thanos makes his move against Xandar and sends the Kree to Earth to involve the heroes in the Infinity War and help set up the Captain Marvel movie.

The Avengers have their own movie to tell in an Avengers story. This isn't called MCU: Infinity Wars

The Guardians should be ancillary players at most, certainly not the focus. Gunn didn't even want a discussion of the Hulk being in a Guardians movie because it would take away from his cast and focus of the story on The Guardians. I fail to see why they should then be the focus of an Avengers movie. If I wanted to watch a Guardians movie I'd watch one. If they can't earn their way into the Thanos story largely via their own movie why should they get precious Avengers screen time to do so.

The Avengers have their own movie to tell in an Avengers story. This isn't called MCU: Infinity Wars

The Guardians should be ancillary players at most, certainly not the focus. Gunn didn't even want a discussion of the Hulk being in a Guardians movie because it would take away from his cast and focus of the story on The Guardians. I fail to see why they should then be the focus of an Avengers movie. If I wanted to watch a Guardians movie I'd watch one. If they can't earn their way into the Thanos story largely via their own movie why should they get precious Avengers screen time to do so.

It really depends on what Gunn wants to do and what Marvel will let him do. If no setup for Infinity War is done in Guardians, then it will have to be done in Infinity War. The Guardians don't have to be THE focus, but a focus. It will possibly be like Civil War. The Avengers will have to be the main focus, but in order for that to happen, the Infinity War has to be brought to Earth, so the Avengers can be involved, unless something STRANGE happens, meaning Doctor Strange is able to teleport Earth's heroes across vast distances across space to fight Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"