Infinity War Infinity War Box Office (poll is for the first film)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ww black panther I reckon will do 1.2 ish.

Iw around 2 billion.

It's not even a guarantee IW will match BP's OW let alone BP's legs.

Most box office nerds pegged IW at around 475 m DOM before this weekend.

Meanwhile BP is heading to 600 m DOM.

Unless you're taking worldwide numbers.

Nah, I think IW will outgross BP. A:IW is an event 10 years in the making and it includes Black Panther, the new Iron Man of the MCU. It's also an all star studded film that is so hyped it up that it's beyond mention. The trailer broke records in one week! It is also riding the BP hype train with fights scenes taking place in Wakanda which will only help it's BO success. I see IF hitting all angles and ages and doing very well.

Didn’t Age of Ultron get about a billion just from the overseas market? I’ve been seeing this everywhere but it’s crazy people now seem to think it’ll do less than Black Panther. It’s like the incredible hype and records it broke are totally forgotten after Panther did exceedingly well. The movie was a guaranteed billion, just gonna wait till the 2nd trailer to see how it looks.

Black Panther also doesn't have anything Deadpool or Star Wars sized to compete with 2 weeks after it's release, so that may be a factor as well. I think BP is gonna have some really good legs thanks to that.

I do think IW is going to make more, but I think it could be potentially closer than common sense might think.

I knew IW will get a boost from BP, but given how record-breaking BP is right now, I wonder how big a boost it will give IW? Hopefully big enough to get over the 2B ceiling.

Black Panther also doesn't have anything Deadpool or Star Wars sized to compete with 2 weeks after it's release, so that may be a factor as well. I think BP is gonna have some really good legs thanks to that.

I do think IW is going to make more, but I think it could be potentially closer than common sense might think.

Solo is a wait and see scenario because of all the production drama with that film. As far as the challenge between Deadpool 2 and Infinity War, I think both will do as good as each other because Josh Brolin being in two movies with roles that will get acclaim from critics will help booth movies boost his Star power.

Black Panther is on a whole other level as far as EVENT films go. I mean it could end up topping TA by the end of its run and no matter how huge the hype is for IW and no matter how big the OW is its going to be a difficult task topping that movie domestically coming out in such a highly competitive summer. Beating it WW is a far more likely scenario IMO.

Also have to remember this is technically a 2 part series (though a lot of the general audience doesn't know that), and the 2nd half of these typically do better. A4 seems to also have a lot less competition than IW. Though, it's hard to say given Pokemon's and Minecraft's giant fan bases.

JTbyNw3.png

Black Panther is on a whole other level as far as EVENT films go.
giphy.gif

I'm sorry... I really liked Black Panther and it was definitely an event film, but just like all the other Marvel Studios films before it, Black Panther leads into a much, MUCH bigger event film in Infinity War. Everything Marvel Studios has put out for 10 years has been leading to this. I'm black myself, so I understand the cultural significance of Black Panther, but it doesn't hold a candle to Infinity War's event status. IW has a ton of stuff from Black Panther in it, as well as stuff from Guardians of the Galaxy, stuff from Iron Man, stuff from Thor Ragnarok, stuff from Doctor Strange, stuff from Ant-Man, stuff from Spider-Man: Homecoming, stuff from Civil War and so on.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I'm sorry... I really liked Black Panther and it was definitely an event film, but just like all the other Marvel Studios films before it, Black Panther leads into a much, MUCH bigger event film in Infinity War. Everything Marvel Studios has put out for 10 years has been leading to this. I'm black myself, so I understand the cultural significance of Black Panther, but it doesn't hold a candle to Infinity War's event status. IW has a ton of stuff from Black Panther in it, as well as stuff from Guardians of the Galaxy, stuff from Iron Man, stuff from Thor Ragnarok, stuff from Doctor Strange, stuff from Ant-Man, stuff from Spider-Man: Homecoming, stuff from Civil War and so on.

Yes I agree IW is a much bigger deal as far as an EVENT film goes which is why I believe it will have a much bigger OW than BP, and could even top TFA's OW record, but its all about the staying power. As much as I don't like comparing it to CW I can understand why some think its legs will be just as weak as that movie. General audiences might not have kept up with watching every movie as there are so many and BP had the advantage of appealing to a lot of audiences who probably haven't seen a single MCU film. Now, its possible a lot of people who liked the character in that movie will rush out to see IW, but will it have the same amount of repeat viewings? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it even if WOM is actually really good.

The reason I do think it will have legs is because I truly think this will be the most ambitious movie of all-time, and not just because of the large amount of characters/actors and action scenes, but also because of the themes. The trailers are all action and character shots and that's perfectly fine, but I expect that the themes will be much deeper and more grand than they're letting on in the trailers. I think the themes are going to be philosophical and cosmic, similar to the comic story line this film is based on, but even more mature. If Mistress Death and other cosmic entities actually do show up in the film, people are going to be thrown for a loop. Those kinds of concepts in a movie of this magnitude have never been put to film before. That's the way repeat viewings are going to happen. Selling people one thing in the marketing and then giving them that plus something else they had no idea was coming and didn't know they wanted.

The themes will be simplified for the movie to work. The same way the motives for many people in joining Civil War were simplified for the movie not to crumble down and not every character having an arc.

Thanos wants to collect the stones to rebalance the universe, the heroes will try to stop him. That doesn't mean that the movie will bad or Thanos lackluster. it means that when you are dealing with 25+ heroes you have to keep the narrative straightforward and Russos are smart enough to realize that.

There's a fine line between simplifying something and butchering it. I understand getting rid of Mephisto, Silver Surfer and Adam Warlock, because other characters can take on those roles in the films and some of them aren't that necessary, but getting rid of Thanos' love for death is going too far. It's extremely integral to the character. Why should Thanos give a crap about balancing the universe? How would he even know it's unbalanced? He's not all-knowing. In the comics he wants to re-balance it because he's been told it's unbalanced and because he's obsessed with impressing the person who told him that. Plus, I can't see Marvel teasing us with the "To challenge them is to court death" line at the end of The Avengers only for them to drop it. Especially when in that recent promo video on the Thor Ragnarok blu ray, Feige said "With Infinity War, we’re paying off every little thread and every little tease that we’ve had in what will be 18 films prior to Infinity War."

Last edited:
I fully expect them to do away with the Death relationship and replace it with some sort of ideological and philosophical rationale instead. I hope they don't, but I really think they will.

I don't think it'll be done exactly the same way it's done in the comics, but I do think he'll be in love with Death, I do think Death will take the form of a woman and I do think he's doing what he's doing because of her. However, it's very possible they could pull a "Fight Club" with Death and have her be a figment of Thanos' psychotic imagination. Maybe she'll be real, but only speak to Thanos telepathically rather than show up physically. There are many ways they can modify it, but I can't see them dropping it entirely and I don't understand why anyone thinks they will. They've already indirectly introduced Death. This image shows up twice in GotG. Once when Peter is obtaining the Power Stone from Morag and again when the Collector is explaining the Infinity Stones.

Even if you're right about Death though, to get back on topic, I still think they're going to deal with ambitious, cosmic themes in the movie and it'll help create the legs that seeing a big superhero team up can't create alone. It's going to feel 70% like the biggest Avengers movie yet and 30% like a hypothetical Guillermo Del Toro directed Interstellar.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Marvel doesn't owe anyone comic-book accuracy. I think fans have become so over-entitled that they dn't realize that the fact the MCU is so close to the essence to the comics is because Feige loves the material, not because he is OBLIGATED TO FOLLOW CHARACTERIZATIONS.

We are not the target audience of those films. Comic book fans make 8-10% of the overall MCU audience. MCU is an unprecedent phenomenon that can only rivaled by Star Wars in terms of popularity.

The GA couldn't care less about Thanos or Death or comic book accuracy. They want good movies, accurate or not. So, let's stop throwing words like butchering and realize that Feige doesn't owe us anything and with the popularity the MCU has he could cater to the GA audience with ZERO REPERCUSSIONS.

I know Marvel doesn't owe us comic book accuracy. My post wasn't even about that... at all. There are TONS of changes from the comics that I've loved. Winter Soldier being a product of Hydra, Guardians of the Galaxy being comedic and using music the way it does, the Black Order being Thanos' children and a lot more. And if I don't like a change, I still accept it.

That said, even if I've accepted a change from the comics, if I feel it butchers a character or storyline, I will absolutely use that word. I'm not gonna complain about it, but I'm also not gonna pretend that I like it. IMO, Death is as important to Thanos as Steve starting out as a skinny kid, Tony building his first armor in a cave, Thor being banished to Earth, Doctor Strange being a brilliant, arrogant surgeon that breaks his hands, etc. and Marvel has been really good about keeping those elements. Of course Marvel isn't obligated to do anything, I just expect them to do certain things, which is what my post was about. I expect Marvel to include Death in Infinity War, and if they don't, I feel like it butchers the character to a degree, but I won't complain. I'll accept it, just as I've accepted everything they've done.

Last edited:
I don't think it will outdo The Force Awakens. It will outdo Black Panther. The three-day weekend will be around $210 million, making it Marvel's best opening.

agree it wont top force awakens 900 mill domestic it could beat force awakens opening weekend 247 mill

Worldwide it will beat it, which is what counts.

With the new date of April 27, Infinity War now has an entire extra week of space between it and The Untitled Deadpool Sequel. Also, unless some other studios move their movies to that May 4 spot, only one thing comes out that weekend and it's a limited release. IW should have a great 2nd weekend.
https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/may/2018

RIP all opening weekend records! (with the possible exception of TFA, but hopefully not ;)).

I did not expect Disney to push IW up a week, but it's a HUGE shift. I expect WB to move Rampage up a week, and for I Feel Pretty to hit mid-May.

IW will easily outstrip Furious 7's opening weekend by at least $60M. It will probably get close to TLJ's domestic opening of $220M and a final domestic haul of $630M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"