INFINITY WAR SPOILERS - Agents of SHIELD Season 6

Discussion in 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' started by DalekbusterFitz, Apr 27, 2018.

1. DalekbusterFitz

DalekbusterFitz Dalekbuster523

If there's a sixth season of Agents of SHIELD, wouldn't it be cool if the months leading up to Avengers 4 is an apocalyptic storyline?

Maybe we see more of the real-world consequences hinted at in the Infinity War post-credits scene with helicopters and cars crashing everywhere? Maybe we could even see some agents turning to dust, with Coulson and Simmons finding themselves the only remaining agents in a world that has lost half of its population during the episode closest to Avengers 4?

An apocalypse is the one sci-fi concept the show hasn't explored yet.

2. nypinta

nypinta Certified Delightfut

That's true. I really do wonder what they are going to do with half the people supposedly disappearing. There is no way the entire team survived that.

3. laytonc32

laytonc32 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think at least half would vanish. If they go through with it though, I hope they get a guarantee season 6. Otherwise it will be a terrible way to end the show.

4. Panacea

Panacea Well-Known Member

Candyman mentioned the aliens in New York to Quake. So we only really have a few possibilities:

- Avengers Four reverses time to before the snap and changes events so the snap never happens
    - The snap always happens, and it's shown before the end of the season
    - The rest of the season takes over the course of a day and the snap happens next season if the show is renewed
    - the snap happens but is never shown (plot hole)

I think there's a high probability that the last possibility is what happens. The writers would have known about the aliens from the promotional material but not the snap, because only a handful of people knew what was happening until very late in the day.

5. eon001

eon001 Well-Known Member

lol the AoS writer must be so annoyed. Maybe the season finale will have half the cast dust away, but I'm pretty sure they will stay the course with the story they already have in play.

Love it! :up:
    Avengers 4 is supposed to take place 5 years later , so the the MCU are going to have to deal with the effects of half the planet disappearing.

A season 6 could bridge the gap between Infinity War and Avengers 4.

6. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I'll post my thoughts from the episode discussion thread:

It's a little difficult to figure out the timeline of Infinity War. It could be minutes, it could be days. Hard to say. The travel time to Titan is the biggest marker, imo. I suppose, if I were ambitious, I'd try and figure out time zones and things like that to figure out what daytime in New York, night time in Scotland, and daytime in Wakanda means for overall timeline.

If Agents of SHIELD is smart, they'd assume the entire remainder of the season takes place before Thanos completes the gauntlet so they don't have to worry about whether there is a reset button coming a year from now with the next Avengers movie. If Agents of SHIELD gets another season, I would like the movies to let them know if they shouldn't bother showing all the deaths at the end of the movie because they'll be reset. The movies next year appear to not take place after Infinity War.

Overall, my general assumption is Infinity War Part Two (or whatever they call it) will reset everything to before the snap. Given that, Agents of SHIELD would be smart to not touch Infinity War in a hypothetical next season because it'll take place after the snap was fixed. Just looking at the release schedule, the July movie doesn't affect anything. The March movie takes place in the 90s so, if anything, it'll involve Coulson (if alive) remembering his past that he might have lost from the coming back to life thing and some Kree or Skrull stuff. Then we hit Infinity War.

7. DalekbusterFitz

It would be a great way to continue the running gag that Fitz and Simmons always seem to get separated in some way.

8. DalekbusterFitz

They could do it as a mini-arc in the months leading up to Avengers 4 though, then after Avengers 4 has been released show everything return to normal. Snapped characters come back, and it's a normal day much to the relief of the non-snap cast.

I'd see it as:

Arc 1: Apocalypse - Episodes 1-10
    Arc 2: Maybe something involving travelling to SHIELD's past, with Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter meeting Coulson and co? - 11-16
    Arc 3: Alternate timeline? Obvious similarities to the framework arc of course, but this time rather than an alternate reality in a computer simulation they do something in the past that causes the present to go very wrong, and they have to go back in time multiple times to fix it - 17-22

9. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

It would require all of next season to be reset, which seems a big ask.

I do like the idea of sending everyone to the past for a season, though.

10. nypinta

Seeing how for most of this season it seemed clear TPTB thought this would be the last, they might feel freer to do whatever they want if they get a 6th season, seeing it as one more than they thought they'd get.

<SNIP>

I don't think this season will deal in any way with IW, mostly because the movie was supposed to come out later. But I do hope that next season they do and they try something just as daring and brave and put it all on the line to tell a good story. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with if they get a new season. (Do we know yet?) And regardless of whatever division there is between the MCU and the people running the TV series and Netflix series, they'd have to be morons to not talk and get their ducks lined up.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  11. X-Ray

X-Ray Ippiki-ookami

Would love to see the "snap" take affect in this show, and all Netflix series with new seasons coming up between now and Infinity War part 2. If the rumors about IF 2 are true. I hope to see those left standing make their big screen debuts next May or whenever Part 2 comes out.

12. nypinta

I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

13. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

How would they even tie into the mcu storyline at this point? I think Infinity War's ramifications are just too big too deal with without making their exclusion from the mcu more obvious and awkward to viewers. I wish they would acknowledge SHIELD and the other shows, even if only peripherally, as it could lead to some interesting storylines set after IW, but I don't think they would.

14. DalekbusterFitz

If Inhumans had come out post-Infinity War, they could have just turned the entire cast to dust!

15. darthcoolness3

darthcoolness3 Well-Known Member

they would probably turn the entire cast into dust, and reunite Agent Coulson with Nick Fury in Captain Marvel, so he could return on the big screen in Avengers 4

16. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any plans for another season. The fact that they are throwing everything at the wall this year seems to suggest that this is the end. I actually think that a fitting end for the show would be for much of the cast to turn to dust...and then just not have another episode. The next Avengers film would likely make the next season a waste of time/wiped from history anyway...so at the very least the show should take a year long break and then come back refocused (and repackaged) in whatever new reality exists for the MCU.

17. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

The entire series turns out to be a figment of Coulson’s imagination after he is stabbed in Avengers and before he dies, ala Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Problem solved.

18. ludovica

ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

They dispelled that possibility in the 100th episode.

19. SPO2 Dalisay

SPO2 Dalisay Vigilante

I will speculate, That the series/season finale ends with the canary in the coal mine starting to dust away with Fitzsimmons and the team thinking that Simmons theory now had empirical evidence and they saved earth and broke the loop . Then other main cast start to disappear.

The question then becomes how do you open a sixth season when the TV season would be almost at its finale by the time Avengers 4 opens and we find out how folks came back to life

20. ludovica

That would be clever... and cruel. :o
    I'm sure the writers will give us a resolution regarding the future storyline.
    I really can not phatom how they will work around the ending of Infinity War if AoS is not renewed, the timing of releases has been really harsh.

21. SPO2 Dalisay

SPO2 Dalisay Vigilante

Remember the show runners had links to Angel. The question becomes were they totally left in the dark, in killing half the people and that their deaths would look like a Left Behind movie? Anyone could figure part 1 would end like The Empire Strikes Back before the ultimate triumph of part 2

22. ludovica

Yeah, I was talking about the fact that the series finale drops after Infinity War.
    If it had been a month before, no problemo.

I hadn't thought about the similarities with the "rapture", freaky.

Oh, we should maybe tag the spoilers about IF for a couple weeks yet.

23. Data Ghost

Data Ghost Member

I think that Season 6 is red herring. The final episode of Season 5 is called 'The End' and I think it will have very much the same ending as Infinity War with certain members of the team turn to dust, e.g. Fitz but not Symmonds etc.

Edit: Also in this weeks episode there was the line "have you seen all this weird stuff happening in New York?" - It's quietly aligning itself for the finale.

24. nypinta

I'm wondering now if the reason they've been stuck in the time loop for so long is that they've been going through the 14 million ways that Thanos wins and finally this time they are in the one where he doesn't. I think I said it somewhere before, but IIRC in the flashbacks to just after the Earth cracked and they had to get everyone in the Lighthouse, the only people we saw were Yo Yo, May, & Robin. But we know Fitz and Simmons make it because of Deeke and his mom. I think what actually happened was just before they can stop whatever from happening, Daisy, Coulson, & Mack disappear.

25. SPO2 Dalisay

SPO2 Dalisay Vigilante

I remember Fitz moving towards his Leopold mode and May was ready to protect Robin