Inspirations from other martial arts movies you'd like to see

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
What other martial arts films should influence Shang Chi? Eg the types of situations, or the fight scenes etc?

I want something that's a homage to the proper Game of Death where Bruce Lee has to fight different opponents on several levels of a pagoda.

On each level, Shang Chi has to fight a different opponent with different martial arts skills. That would be a way to get in a number of villains and also showcase different fighting styles.

And they definitely need a nunchaku duel like in the clip above.

Also, the fight scenes need to go on for some time, especially the finale. Not these 5 or 10 minute fights like the rest of the MCU. The fights in martial arts movies are usually at least 20 minutes long, and that can even be on the short side. Look how long this one is in the clip above. It's 40 minutes long.

And even the Enter the Dragon finale between Bruce Lee and Han was pretty long. It's all part of it.

Also if they're going a James Bond route, then something like this fight from the middle of Enter the Dragon:

I’m obsessed with the Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris fight in Way of the Dragon so if a battle ended with a showdown between Shang, a villain, and an eaves dropping cat I would die of happieness. Plus it’s already proven, marvel heroes love cats!

I’m obsessed with the Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris fight in Way of the Dragon so if a battle ended with a showdown between Shang, a villain, and an eaves dropping cat I would die of happieness. Plus it’s already proven, marvel heroes love cats!

I think that should be a middle fight, because it's probably the most low key and subdued end fight of all the Bruce Lee films. Doesn't really seem big enough in scale. Unless it's part of the end fight after a long battle.

They should definitely have a double nunchaku fight like this one from Way of the Dragon. That hasn't been seen in years.

But they should also take a lot of inspiration from Drunken Master. Give Shang Chi a villain he can barely beat, just like Jackie Chan had to face against Hwang Jang Lee.

This was only a small section of the final fight, which was about 15-20 minutes long.

I know not everyone is a fan of wuxia style but I am obsessed with the music knife fight scene in Kung fu hustle

I want Shang Chi to take on an entire army of people like Bruce Lee did in Enter the Dragon

Although he shouldn't need any help from a white guy like John Saxon. We don't need that aspect here.

And the huge fight between the prisoners and the guards is like classic James Bond films where there's a huge battle at the end, similar to films like You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me or Moonraker.

I wouldn't mind some scenes like this:

Although it's more of a homage to Way of the Dragon. And the final freeze frame is a homage to Fist of Fury.

Seriously... No one has brought up Tony Jaa and his stunt team's fight choreography opuses yet?

Or Jet's fights?

If they are going for the traditional chinese martial art stuff then I would like to see something like this scene with Donnie Yen in Ip Man 2. Very nicely choreographed except for the chi sau thing ( no idea what it's called in english ) moving around the table at the end.

If it's going to be a modern martial art type then something like Donnie Yen vs Sammo Hung in SPL. One of my all time favorite scene. Very natural and you can feel those hits "connect". I vaguely remember reading somewhere this wasn't choreographed , they went at it or something like that. ( I could be wrong ).

Or from the same movie SPL with Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing. Although their movement skews somewhat towards more traditional.

Or this one with Jackie Chan vs Benny the Jet in Wheels on Meals. As with the 2nd video , you can feel the energy in this.

Those are some great fights and what's interesting to note is that it is about more than just the fight choreography. The "acting" in the scenes are all different as well as the environments and the use of the setting as well.

I hope that they give through the film and it's fights a sense of the Shang Chi character. What's his approach to a fight? How does he adapt to different opponents? What has his training taught him? I think that should come through in the fights.

It's odd to see Sammo Hung playing a villain. I guess though there are only so many talented martial artists out there, especially of that build, and if they are going for that look then he would be their man. And maybe he wants to play against type.

Here are some clips from his Martial Law TV series:

It would be great if Shang Chi used that same kind of acrobatic Peking Opera style of fighting in some of his fight sequences, using whatever he has around him as a weapon. It works well in a modern setting, as Martial Law was.

I used to enjoy that show. Shame it got cancelled after 2 seasons, but Sammo apparently wanted to quit anyway, because he didn't like the creative direction they took with his character and also wanted more control over certain aspects which he was used to having. I think they offered him Season 3 but he turned it down.

grandmaster had amazing fight scene.

This is why I wanted Wong Kar Wai as director. Or the guy who directed the other Ip Man films. Hopefully Marvel brings onboard choreographers and cinematographers with experience on such Chinese martial art films. Otherwise I’m not sure how they’ll be able to capture the very unique sensibilities of Chinese cinema with the director they have chosen.

Taking a page from anything in The Grandmaster would be great.

There is a good reason it is considered one of the best marital arts films of the decade

I think it would be cool to see something similar to The Raid or Game of Death having it all take place in one city or even one building having Shang Chi work his way though groups of bad guys on his way to the big bad.

I think it would be cool to see something similar to The Raid or Game of Death having it all take place in one city or even one building having Shang Chi work his way though groups of bad guys on his way to the big bad.

Are you referring to the proper Game of Death which I referenced in my first post above, or the "Spot Bruce Lee Game of Death" where it's a cobbled together film with lots of doubles and you're trying to spot where he actually appears in the film?

Are you referring to the proper Game of Death which I referenced in my first post above, or the "Spot Bruce Lee Game of Death" where it's a cobbled together film with lots of doubles and you're trying to spot where he actually appears in the film?

I forget tbh mate only seen it once a very long time ago.

As the MCU loves to throw humour in as well I really hope we get some Rush Hour type fight scenes with Shang Chi using the environment and things that you wouldn't traditionally class as weapons.

Yeah they should bring Thomas the tank back into more action scenes. Thomas could be the MCU’s giant chicken from family guy lol

Also be cool to see him take inspiration from Jackie Chan's style of turning everything in to a weapon.

Who is the fight choreographer on this movie? They need to get someone like Sammo Hung. He could even guest star.

Yeah they should bring Thomas the tank back into more action scenes. Thomas could be the MCU’s giant chicken from family guy lol

Thomas the Tank Engine or a big Hello Kitty stick.

Who is the fight choreographer on this movie?
Marvel should rehire Brad Allan (he was hired for Edgar's Ant-Man)

Allan is a former member of Jackie Chan's stunt team and helped create the cool fight scenes in Hellboy 2, Kingsman, Edgar Wright's films and his mentor Jackie Chan's films.

Brad Allan - Wikipedia

Although he shouldn't need any help from a white guy like John Saxon. We don't need that aspect here.

Hey, speaking as an Asian myself, if I had to fight 30 men hand to hand at the same time, John Saxon is the one and only white guy I'd want backing me up. :ali:

Plot wise Id like the movie to be a Fantastical version of ''Game of Death'' meets ''Enter the Dragon''.

Any one else?

Plot wise Id like the movie to be a Fantastical version of ''Game of Death'' meets ''Enter the Dragon''.

Any one else?

I hope you mean the proper Game of Death with the plot about Bruce Lee and friends fighting different villains on several levels of a pagoda, and not the "Where's Bruce Lee?" version of Game of Death with all these other people standing in for him as a double where he only appears in the last 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"