Interstellar - Part 10

I think the score has a good chance of taking the Oscar.

Last edited:
Not sure why this got nominations for sound mixing and editing.

How couldn't have this have possible not been nominated? It was the choice of the absence of sound and the merging of it at the right time is what really made it stand out. It's pretty skillful.

This should have garnered a cinematography nod, kind of ridiculous that it didn't, I would have put it over Unbroken easily.

You never know,
Interstellar could win all of its nominations or at least 4 out of 5

This should have garnered a cinematography nod, kind of ridiculous that it didn't, I would have put it over Unbroken easily.
I actually thought Unbroken was going to do better because Angelina Jolie directed it .
the Academy loves to honor actors who direct .

This never should have been nominated for sound editing and mixing, but I think it should have been nominated for best picture.

Maybe one day Nolan will get a Best Director nom. He's earned one many times over.

This never should have been nominated for sound editing and mixing, but I think it should have been nominated for best picture.
The truth is once the reviews came out and the film underperformed domestically it didn't have a ghost of a chance of getting a best picture nod.

How couldn't have this have possible not been nominated? It was the choice of the absence of sound and the merging of it at the right time is what really made it stand out. It's pretty skillful.

The choice of the sound cutting out is well done, the over all mix of dialogue, music, and sound effects has been widely panned however.

Last edited:

I actually think the near randomness at which the film switched aspect ratios hurt the film. Did we need two seconds of IMAX footage of a truck driving down a dirt road cut into a several minute sequence of 35mm?

With the Batman films the switches in format seemed to have a lot more thought to them, the IMAX reserved for action sequences and the switches happening at the end or beginning of scenes.

This is also an issue of directing and of editing but needless to say some fault lies with Hoytema.

Maybe one day Nolan will get a Best Director nom. He's earned one many times over.

Not if he keeps making movies like this. It's just far too mainstream for the academy.

He'll have to go sniffing around for a biopic dealing with some kind of challenging issue.

Nolan and/or the studios just needs to take it down a notch with the budget on his next project and he'll do fine. Directors get more creative when they don't have everything at their disposal. (IE Favreau's Chef or Aronofsky's The Wrestler). But thats probably not gonna happen.

The choice of the sound cutting out is well done, the over all mix of dialogue, music, and sound effects has been widely panned however.

Huh. I really didn't have an issue with it.

Nolan and/or the studios just needs to take it down a notch with the budget on his next project and he'll do fine. Directors get more creative when they don't have everything at their disposal. (IE Favreau's Chef or Aronofsky's The Wrestler). But thats probably not gonna happen.

Ironically though, Interstellar wasn't made for as much as his other larger films. I don't like to pigeonhole directors or suggest what they should do but I'd love to see Nolan return to smaller scale again. Actually, if he were every to do a horror film, I'd love for him to tackle a larger scaled one akin to The Shining. He could handle that very well.

Yeah, Interstellar cost about $80 million less to make than TDKR, so it was definitely a step in that direction. It's not even an action movie. Not to mention, whatever flaws one might have with the movie...the scale of the movie was definitely one of its major strengths. It literally used its scale to tell an intimate story. It used the theory of relativity to tell a simple father/daughter story. That is creative, and really clever too.

Not if he keeps making movies like this. It's just far too mainstream for the academy.

He'll have to go sniffing around for a biopic dealing with some kind of challenging issue.

His shelved Howard Hughes movie probably could've got him there. Alas. :funny:

Though if movies like Silence of the Lambs, Titanic and Return of the King can take home the big prizes, I'd like to think Nolan has it in him to make a movie can do the same. It's not impossible for a mainstream film to win. It just has to strike the right chord at the right time and have enough momentum.

I still absolutely feel that the emotional content and performances in Interstellar on paper should've carried if further this awards season. It really felt like that caliber of a film to me. Unfortunately I think all the wrong conversations about the movie (the loud sound mix, people looking for holes in the science etc.) drowned out the more positive and intellectually stimulating conversations, and that coupled with the lukewarm critical reception and a poor campaign on Paramount's part doomed it to be the token technical noms movie this year.

Oh well. If Zimmer wins I'll be really happy.

I'll settle for even just a mid-sized budget one like The Prestige. I want something intellectual and emotional that doesn't rely on effects and action.

Nolan has said in a few recent interviews that he's open to going smaller again, and thinks he will at some point in the future.

Really though, he just needs to keep making whatever movie he's most passionate about regardless of the size. Large scale non-franchise films are likely going to become even more scarce in the coming years, so it's kinda hard for me feign disappointment over one of our best directors embracing scale with original ideas.

But I'd obviously still be very excited to see him do a medium or small-sized film again, and I think he will eventually.

Maybe sound mixes tend toward conventional and perfunctory. And maybe mixers appreciate the rare opportunity to get experimental and avant-garde. :word:

For Academy nominations, members are restricted to voting within their own branch. (I.e., directors only nominate directors, not actors.) So apparently, professional sound mixers were impressed enough with Interstellar to include it in their top five. On the other hand, everyone votes for the final award. And if enough costume designers, etc. think that Interstellar was “too loud,” it obviously won’t win.

Interstellar (Collector's Edition) (2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD) (NEO-Pack Packaging + Art Book + IMAX Film Cel) (Walmart Exclusive) (Widescreen)
Digital Copy Subject To Expiration; Giftset includes the 3-Disc BD Combo, with an entire Blu-ray disc of bonus features, only available on Blu-ray. Packaged in a new "NEO-Pack" packaging featuring beautiful graphics from the film. Also included is a 48-page art book featuring images and copy from the "Interstellar" coffee table book. Lastly, each giftset comes with an actual IMAX film cel, cut from a 70mm print of the film.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/42931046?www=true&productRedirect=true

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"