Iron Fist Iron Fist Casting Thread

NotSoLongAgo

#spidermansolit
Reaction score
So who should be iron fist? I don't expect this thread to blow up anytime soon but I figured might as well make one since there isnt already.

Anyway I really like Ki Hong Lee for the role myself. Ryan phillipe on the other hand is very meh.. I wouldn't be very interested in watching him. Whereas ki or even garret hedlund seem like fantastic choices imo

So who do you guys want?

For now, either Christian Howard or Mike Moh, both of Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist, are the top that come to mind.

Christian Howard, any day of the week. Has the right look and really impressed me as Ken. In truth I kinda assumed that hed be just a martial artist trying to act but it turns out that hes no slouch in the acting department either, which is a bonus as for someone like Danny Rand as I dont want just want to see an actor cast whos then taught to pull off a few basic moves; martial arts is Dannys schtick and to see an actor perform complex moves reflecting his skill would be great. Honestly, i dont think Howard would be out of place alongside Parker and Bernthal etc.

I still reckon Harry shum Jnr has the charisma and athleticism to do the role justice

So who should be iron fist? I don't expect this thread to blow up anytime soon but I figured might as well make one since there isnt already.

Anyway I really like Ki Hong Lee for the role myself. Ryan phillipe on the other hand is very meh.. I wouldn't be very interested in watching him. Whereas ki or even garret hedlund seem like fantastic choices imo

So who do you guys want?

Ki Hong Lee is another wonderful choice. I reckon he would love to do it too (plus he's already friendly with the Netflix crowd)

Wait a sec. Did Marvel make an announcement about the character being Asian I didn't hear about?

Wait a sec. Did Marvel make an announcement about the character being Asian I didn't hear about?

Did they make an announcement about him being white either? It goes both ways man.

Not to the same extent, no.

For starters, I don't expect him to be Asian- especially just for the sake of representation.
He is a Caucasian American in the comics. Unlike the likes of Heimdall, it is a keystone in how his story plays out. And it's not even the Caucasian aspect that's important. He is an outsider. He could be Latino. He could be African-American. It doesn't matter. The core will not be effected.

But having an Asian would make the storytellers jobs needlessly complicated who would now need to establish the fact that though he looks Asian, he is still an outsider. Which kind of negates the purpose of having an Asian in the first place and leaves him there only to exercise racial diversity. And it pisses off comicbook hardliners.

So, I believe that it would make more sense to have a non- Asian actor in the role. I just think it's pointless meddling.

Jesse Plemons
plemons.jpg

Not to the same extent, no.

For starters, I don't expect him to be Asian- especially just for the sake of representation.
He is a Caucasian American in the comics. Unlike the likes of Heimdall, it is a keystone in how his story plays out. And it's not even the Caucasian aspect that's important. He is an outsider. He could be Latino. He could be African-American. It doesn't matter. The core will not be effected.

But having an Asian would make the storytellers jobs needlessly complicated who would now need to establish the fact that though he looks Asian, he is still an outsider. Which kind of negates the purpose of having an Asian in the first place and leaves him there only to exercise racial diversity. And it pisses off comicbook hardliners.

So, I believe that it would make more sense to have a non- Asian actor in the role. I just think it's pointless meddling.

The fact that you think simply looking Asian is enough to prevent someone from feeling like an outsider speaks volumes as to why Marvel should go ahead and cast an Asian American actor. It runs so much deeper than being physically similar.

Yep but that's a good topic for the "Would anyone have a problem with iron fist being played by an Asian" thread so let's go back to casting iron fist here.

Cole horibe would also be fantastic for a role like this

Christian Howard, any day of the week. Has the right look and really impressed me as Ken. In truth I kinda assumed that hed be just a martial artist trying to act but it turns out that hes no slouch in the acting department either, which is a bonus as for someone like Danny Rand as I dont want just want to see an actor cast whos then taught to pull off a few basic moves; martial arts is Dannys schtick and to see an actor perform complex moves reflecting his skill would be great. Honestly, i dont think Howard would be out of place alongside Parker and Bernthal etc.

I have to be honest. This post alone was the reason I watched Street Fighter : Assassin's Fist . It really wasn't bad.... Just still haven't washed the bad taste out from the previous Street Fighter movies. Anyways I could definitely see Christian Howard playing Danny Rand . He has the look and skill plus done an amazing job as Ken. He played a hot head pretty well which is how I envision Danny being once he has returned from training and looking for revenge . I'm not gonna say he stands a chance ( odds are he is already cast and just not announced yet). I'd be happy if he were though. Marvel had a great track record for casting just the right person , so I believe it's gonna work out who ever gets the part

The fact that you think simply looking Asian is enough to prevent someone from feeling like an outsider speaks volumes as to why Marvel should go ahead and cast an Asian American actor. It runs so much deeper than being physically similar.

Way to miss the point, entirely. Well done!

I really can't wait for this one.

So who do you guys want?

I've always liked Phillipe, honestly, but I'd love Hedlund. I see some people say Charlie Hunnam, and I could live with it.

Yep but that's a good topic for the "Would anyone have a problem with iron fist being played by an Asian" thread so let's go back to casting iron fist here.

Cole horibe would also be fantastic for a role like this

I disagree, but... you already know why.... *kicks rock and walks away with hands in pockets*

Since race isn't an issue anymore, I'll have Christian Howard for Shang Chi if he doesn't get the role of Iron Fist then. ;)

Michael Roark for Danny Rand/Iron Fist!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since race isn't an issue anymore, I'll have Christian Howard for Shang Chi if he doesn't get the role of Iron Fist then. ;)

Now that's just absurd :o

anyway, I was thinking maybe Jack O'Connell would be cool for this :hmm

Last edited:
Christian Howard would be a good choice, but I think he's still working on the new Street Fighter web series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"