Iron Fist Iron Fist General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope they figure it out, really looking forward to this one the most, just how they don't shy away from the mystic stuff! That's what I'm anticipating the most.

They are impenetrable. No matter what they do, it will turn out fine. That's all but guaranteed.
But it's true that they are faced with a serious challenge here. This isn't an easy character to adapt; I'd say he's a much tougher sell than any of the other Defenders. So it's good that they are having some trouble with it. You need to weed through all the bad ideas, really think everything through, to find a good solution and it's clear that they are willing to put in the work to make it happen.

Oh dear, I wonder what the issue is? Surely it's not a budget thing?

I wonder who they've been chatting to? It's shocking there hasn't been a leak yet for this

IMO, they should just embrace the fantasy elements. Iron Fist isn't as dark as the other Netflix properties but that isn't a flaw. If anything, a variety of tones would really help to diversify the MCU. Considering the Iron Fist will be hitting at around the same time as Doctor Strange, there is nothing wrong with simply introducing fantasy elements.

Daredevil should be The Raid. Iron Fist should be Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Less practical stunts, more wire wire work and CGI.

I'd imagine it's just a case of how fantastical they can go with it, and still fit with the other Netflix characters. There's a happy balance in there somewhere they need to find

If anything, a variety of tones would really help to diversify the MCU.

Yeah, I'm hoping they aren't planning on matching the same tone for every series. Luke Cage, to me, is the toughest to pull off because you can't tell how much of the Blaxploitation tone you want to capture. Iron Fist is a Kung Fu story and I think the fantastical elements do help it stand out. I think they should look to the Marvel movies. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all have different tones.

Call me a skeptic, but isn't that report written by the same guy who was talking nonsense about "negative buzz" for Daredevil before its release, and saying that it wasn't good (or something like that)? I have a hard time taking him seriously now, as he seems like he has an axe to grind regarding the Netflix shows.

perhaps he is a tv fan and doe not believe in internet shows

Weird they're hung up on the mystical stuff given how things seem to be playing out with the rest of the universe.

Marvel seems to have this weird hang-up when it comes to magic/mystical elements in the MCU:

-They were petrified of doing The Mandarin and his "magic rings," (even though they're actually alien tech not magic).
-They been quite wishy-washy with it in the Thor films (the whole "well magic is basically just super-advanced science" thing).
-They gave SW's powers and overtly "scientific" origin.
-Etc.

Given all of the other weird/out there comic book stuff that they've embraced in these movies, their hesitancy here has always been puzzling to me.

They weren't petrified of doing The Mandarin's magic rings, they were concerned about his racial insensitive origins. There's a slight difference there.

They weren't petrified of doing The Mandarin's magic rings, they were concerned about his racial insensitive origins. There's a slight difference there.

And Scarlet Witch's powers have almost always been scientific in nature.

"Marvel doesn't like magic" is one of those memes that is supported mainly by itself.

Call me a skeptic, but isn't that report written by the same guy who was talking nonsense about "negative buzz" for Daredevil before its release, and saying that it wasn't good (or something like that)? I have a hard time taking him seriously now, as he seems like he has an axe to grind regarding the Netflix shows.

Yeah it's Fartcheese. :doh: He's probably still buttsore that nobody would hate Daredevil with him so now he plans to take it out on all the other shows.

I'm not entirely sure I believe they'd even have a deal for an Iron Fist show in place if they didn't have some idea of where they want to go with it.

Yeah it's Fartcheese. :doh: He's probably still buttsore that nobody would hate Daredevil with him so now he plans to take it out on all the other shows.

I'm not entirely sure I believe they'd even have a deal for an Iron Fist show in place if they didn't have some idea of where they want to go with it.

Exactly. It's not like they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. They have a game plan from the get-go. If it was something they couldn't "crack," they never would have planned it in the first place.

Last edited:
And Scarlet Witch's powers have almost always been scientific in nature.

"Marvel doesn't like magic" is one of those memes that is supported mainly by itself.

No, it's supported by Marvel's own comments. If you're not so scared of magic, then just call it magic. Don't be wishy-washy about it. "Oh it's just super-advanced science and blah blah blah," LAME! Also SW's powers are whatever the heck the writer needs them to be at that particular moment.

Anyway, the reluctance to call it magic is besides the point because:
a) They could solve the problem in Iron Fist the same way they did with Thor without any issue (the claim isn't that they're afraid to call it magic) and
b) The source here isn't all that reputable, so maybe this is a whole lot of nothing.

No, it's supported by Marvel's own comments. If you're not so scared of magic, then just call it magic. Don't be wishy-washy about it. "Oh it's just super-advanced science and blah blah blah," LAME! Also SW's powers are whatever the heck the writer needs them to be at that particular moment.

They've called it magic repeatedly. They've just also had it practiced by societies that aren't superstitious, and freely intermix it with their technology.

( its also astonishing how much deep truth people grant to an explanation given by, essentially, a jock. . . )

Yeah, I'm hoping they aren't planning on matching the same tone for every series. Luke Cage, to me, is the toughest to pull off because you can't tell how much of the Blaxploitation tone you want to capture. Iron Fist is a Kung Fu story and I think the fantastical elements do help it stand out. I think they should look to the Marvel movies. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all have different tones.

The Luke Cage show shouldn't be that hard. Definitely should have urban influence, but I don't know if Blaxploitation of old really holds up today (and to note Luke has shedded his 70s look for the most part). But have a strong, opinionated character and a primarily black cast, and you pretty much have the big elements of Blaxploitation captured.

The harder part is with the socio-economic stuff in the Luke Cage world. Corrupt cops, race relations, prison-industrial complex, gang violence. You have to touch on all of that when dealing with Cage, and I don't think Marvel wants to come across as making a statement when it comes to political topics. But the brutal nature of such an environment is perfect for Netflix.

I just hope they don't use aliens again as an explanation. So over that. I would rather no "magic" at all then have another "aliens did it" story.

Might make it a bit tricky to explain shou Lou the undying though

The tone of Luke Cage should be more relevant to the modern African American experience rather than the '70s blaxploitation era he came from.

isn't this the iron fist forum? let's keep the conversation on topic

I was just thinking. I'd love the show to be set in two different eras.

So the first episode would be about Orson Randall or Wendall Rand or another Immortal Weapon then the second about Danny Rand then the third a continuation of the first then the fourth a continuation of the second. And so on and have them link via a common story element of locations

Danny could look in the records of kun Lun that would related to the next episode set in the past. Orson or Wendall could train with a weapon that in the future is stolen with Danny having to find it ect.

Would add a lot of myth and history to the show by showing the scope of the history of the Iron Fists and Kun Lun

any word on this series at SDCC or did marvel consider it part of the MCU?

Neither.

No word on SDCC, but because it's too early. Parts of the MCU were at Comic Con - the television side. Iron Fist is part of that side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"