Iron Man 3 Iron Man 3: More than Meets the Eye...

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
So a thread to discuss the probability that what we saw in the film will have ties to future MCU films in Phase 2 or beyond. And no I'm not talking about themes and motifs. Yes of course Tony Stark will remain a hero.

What I mean is The Mandarin. [BLACKOUT]And no I don't mean Killian. Not literally at least.[/BLACKOUT]

Apparently Kevin Feige has stated that upon multiple viewings you may see ties and deeper connections in this movie for the rest of Phase 2. (someone will have to try to help me find a source for this)

Now, throughout the film they refer to The Mandarin as "Master" multiple times. Could this be an allusion to the Masters of Evil? How many times do they refer to The Mandarin as The Master? These are the one's I caught:
1. "The Master is about to record and you know how he gets..." - Killian
2. "The Master is travelling..." - unnamed guard
3. "I didn't know you and The Master were gonna blow the place up!" - Maya

The Ten Rings organization was never truly seen to be disbanded. A terror organization with as many branches as seen in IM and IM2 that is still at large? C'mon. That's not something we as fans can just blow over. Someone still controls them.

Speaking of organizations still at large. How about AIM? This one's obvious, but we'll be seeing more of them. With or without Killian or The Mandarin.

Kingsley's character Trevor Slattery mentions he was offered "more drugs" was this a joke or a hint that he too was powered by Extremis? Was it just me or was there sort of a hive-mind mentality to the Extremis soldiers? Did the Mandarin have control of them all? Is he still alive as long as Extremis is still alive?
Food for thought everyone. I, for one, think that Joss and Feige may have had more in mind with this film. They wanted it to be standalone to avoid problems seen in Iron Man 2. But as long as we aren't aware that they added Phase 2 build up... we can't complain about it right? :wow:

Last edited:
Masters of Evil might be possible. Thanos isn't the film of Avengers 2, or at least it doesn't seem that way by how Whedon mentions it. So who could the villain/s be? Masters is a possible idea.

The thing about the Mandarin that I dont think people realize yet is... [blackout]even though he might of been a figure head for Killian for the public view, there is still a very real threat of the Ten Rings terrorist organization that has done real damage to the world as we saw in IM1. It's almost an Ultimate Mandarin take as they have done recently where the name "Mandarin" isn't a person but a corporation.[/blackout]

Masters of Evil might be possible. Thanos isn't the film of Avengers 2, or at least it doesn't seem that way by how Whedon mentions it. So who could the villain/s be? Masters is a possible idea.

Whether Thanos is involved in Avengers 2 or not, it definitely sounds like he won't be the primary threat. So you gotta ask who we are left with. I'd say Masters [of evil] would be a pretty good choice. But who are worthy counterparts to the Core Four? For Iron Man? The Mandarin. Nuff said.

The thing about the Mandarin that I dont think people realize yet is... [blackout]even though he might of been a figure head for Killian for the public view, there is still a very real threat of the Ten Rings terrorist organization that has done real damage to the world as we saw in IM1. It's almost an Ultimate Mandarin take as they have done recently where the name "Mandarin" isn't a person but a corporation.[/blackout]

This is a pretty good point. But even beyond that, perhaps the Mandarin is more than a corporation or an idea, but rather an archetype of terror. And the person who embodies him is not so easily known. I think it's worth pondering considering The Mandarin is Tony Stark's nemesis. If Stark lives to fight another day, then i think so does Mandarin.

Plus the idea of you kill or take away one terrorist leader and 5 more step up to take his place. Who knows who will take the name "Mandarin" and run with it as a successor and go even further with destruction.

Plus the idea of you kill or take away one terrorist leader and 5 more step up to take his place. Who knows who will take the name "Mandarin" and run with it as a successor and go even further with destruction.

Thing is, I think the Mandarin's image, [BLACKOUT]or shall we say Trevor Slattery's image,[/BLACKOUT] is something that (should Box Office numbers tell us anything) will go down as iconic. People are going to remember that robed, bearded fellow with rings on all fingers. At least as much as people remember Bane's image. And likely more than they remember Stane/Vanko/Killian. So what I'm trying to say, is:

Thats a lot of Hype. seen in the trailers and the merchandising...

That's a lot of Talent. Ben Kingsley is [BLACKOUT]more worthy of being a true villain than a crack pot old fool.[/BLACKOUT]

That's a lot of Nemesis. To be wasted the way it seems to have been wasted.

Last edited:
I understand and agree with you.

But at the same time, it wasn't a [blackout]sudden reveal for the sake of it, it was done to push the true villain in to another level. Killian screaming out "IM THE MANDARIN" is not really so much him saying he is that character, but he is the focus of the true evil that has been taking over the airwaves lately and the bombings.[/blackout]

Another way of showing how maybe it was a waste in some aspects with Kingsley, but the character's identity still lives on as something more important than one man.

But at the same time, it wasn't a [blackout]sudden reveal for the sake of it, it was done to push the true villain in to another level. Killian screaming out "IM THE MANDARIN" is not really so much him saying he is that character, but he is the focus of the true evil that has been taking over the airwaves lately and the bombings.[/blackout]

I'm so glad others besides myself interpreted it that way. I can already tell people referring to Guy Pearce's character as The Mandarin is really going to start to frustrate me. As one YouTube reviewer pointed out, thats like me literally calling my father Santa Clause by name. -_-

Okay guys, take a seat, because I am just going to tell you my theory, and it's going to be long..

I'm in a beanbag chair. Ready and waiting.

For all intents and purposes, Killian is the Mandarin. To an extent. I believe that The Mandarin was created by the extremis virus. Killian showed what it can do, and how it can hijack someone's mind. Aldrich Killian is Aldrich Killian, trevor, is the physical representation of what the Mandarin is. Now, as we saw through out the movie, Killian went more crazy, and crazy. Why? He already took Extremis, why is it taking so long for him to go crazy? The Mandarin, if you will, is a title he created, and gave to the entity that is doing his work, that entity, very well may be his altered point of view, created after taking Extremis..he went crazy. Creating ALMOST like a super ego type thing. This idea, that he created, is what the mandarin is. So yeah, Killian's mind IS the Mandarin,. However, I think it goes deeper than that. I think Killian lost control of his own mind, and this mandarin ego in his mind took over. Tony Is unstable, the extremis soldiers are unstable, Killian wanted tony's mind. He talked about how extremis allows you to basically hijack the mind. Now, while someone may be free to think, I think that Killian had access to the minds of the extremis soldiers. This movie, to me, was like the origin of the mandarin. We don't really know who or what he is, cause it's more than just aldrich killian, it's an image, a symbol, a persona created by his psyche due to extremis to take credit for what he did. I think he needed tony's mind, to complete extremis SO he can get complete control of his mind again, but at the end, I think he just accepts it. He lost control, this psyche completely takes over "I AM the mandarin" I think it was hinted, because extremis can hijack minds, and after that, Killian was becoming more and more unstable..so I think that this mandarin psyche created by himself was taking over.

Now here is the deal with Trevor, what I think. He is a drunk, pretty decent actor for a drunk. He said Killian "fixed him" "gave him more drugs" and gave him "surgery" Keep note, that Trevor didn't know ANYTHING..he's an actor working for this guy, but he doesn't know anything? Or he doesn't remember anything because he was being controlled?...I think he may have given him extremis. I think Killian had control over trevor. So when we saw Trevor on TV, saying you'll never see me coming, all that...it really was the mandarin, not an actor. The Mandarin, this crazy psych created by Killian thanks to extremis, was using Trevor, literally as a vessel. The Mandarin was inside trevor and was actually using him. I think that The Mandarin (this...free altered personality, if you will, subconsciously created by Killian's psyche in response to extremis) was using trevor to hide in plain site. I think the hint there, was Trevor saying what Killian did to him, via surgery. That, and Killian saying that extremis allows you to hijack minds, and the fact that Killian was getting more unstable, leads me to think that Killian is unstable. So Trevor wasn't just acting, he was being controlled by The Mandarin. This leaves a plot hole, how could he know/think he was acting then? It could be because he thought so because he had full control of his mind again...I don't know.

That's what I think the mandarin is. An altered version of Killian's personality subconsciously created after taking extremis..a sort of biological AI, who created/called itself the Mandarin, Killian/mandarin hired trevor to use and hide..Killian, still doesn't have full control of his mind...that's why he's after tony, so he can fix extremis, and be free to think completely and have full control..however, at the end of the movie, I think he just cracks, and Killian accepts that the mandarin is in his head, and the Mandarin FULLY takse over.."I am the Mandarin".

Now for the movie...it was Stark's memory. The whole movie, he told to bruce banner. We saw it how stark remembered it. Stark was at peace at the end, if you will, he has a complete character arc, now take into consideration what he said at the end to pepper. That he was onto extremis, he almost had it figured out, and he said he'll fix pepper, and fix himself, and he talks about extremis how he was almost able to figure it out.. bookmark Now hear me out. Stark..as far as we know, is good. He's stable, right? He's sane, no more anxiety? Well, WHY is he looking for help then? If that was all his memory, and it ended on a good note, WHY does he need help? that leaves a possibility, that maybe..JUST maybe, he doesn't remember it EXACTLY as it happened, because 1. It's a memory, and 2. He may still be unstable for some whatever reason, maybe something is repressed.. Back to the bookmark. He hinted there that maybe at some point in between the end of the story, and the end credit scene, maybe he did perfect extremis? Well guess what, since The Mandarin has access to anything extremis, he had access to tony' mind. However, MAYBE he couldn't hijack it because tony's mind and psyche is so strong. Maybe the mandarin altered his thoughts naturally a bit trying to hack his memory, and as a result, Tony is a bit unstable, but doesn't really know why, when it really it is because his mind fought off Mandarin, altering his memory a little bit. It all goes back to Killian talking about mind hijacking, and the fact that after that point in the movie, Killian kept loosing control..SORT of like what was happening to tony. Maybe that's how it get's figured out, that the mandarin is more than a person, and he doesn't die with a phsyical body, he could essentially be a floating consciousness or something.

Now for the masters...Captain America 2 is referred to as Avengers 1.5. It seems like we may get some sort of masters in Avengers 2...now I am putting two and two together, but Masters of evil..zemo..captain america..zemo..a hunch says Zemo will probably be in Cap 2. We'd assume Zemo is the head of HYRDRA. In the comics, AIM is a branch of HYDRA. Well, who's to say it's NOT in the movies? Now, as someone said earlier, Tony Figures out that the title, The Mandarin, means advisor to the king. Why would it call itself that? Does that hint, that Mandarin is working for/with somebody?? Assuming Zemo is the head of Hydra, he probably has power, and A LOT of money. How did Killian suddenly get money to fully fund advanced idea mechanics? Maybe Zemo funded it. Maybe zemo funded it as a branch to HYRDRA, who the world thinks is gone.. zemo being the head of Hydra, funds Killians work, as a branch of Hydra. Obviously Killian then went crazy when the Mandarin took over. But That's how I see it, if Advisor to the King is hinting at anything, it could very well hint that he worked with Zemo...which would in turn, lead me to think that zemo funded his work, and since AIM is a branch of Hydra in the comics, something similar must be going on here.

Now regardless, Trevor worked with terrorist, so he's gettin his ass locked up. I'm sure at the end of Captain America, Zemo, who is probably a world wide threat, gets reprimanded, and locked up..i'm gunna say Trevor is there as well. Remember the leader hints in TIH? Maybe he's there as well. NOW, trevor is trevor, sure, but the mandarin has access to trevors mind because Killian may have given him extremis..so boom, for all intents and purposes once again, trevor is THE mandarin.

and then we get the class breakout story in avengers 2

and that's where I am at. Have fun guys

Some really great insights! Awesome read, jaqua99.

I think I can only give a fair judgement of Iron Man 3 after the completion of Phase 2.

I personally loved it. I cannot wait to see where it goes from here.

Some really great insights! Awesome read, jaqua99.

I think I can only give a fair judgement of Iron Man 3 after the completion of Phase 2.

I personally loved it. I cannot wait to see where it goes from here.

thanks haha. I mean, sure it may be over the top, but it really may not? Because it totally seems like something they would do. It's not too confusing, just sort of lets us know...OMG one other thing popped into my head!

This..mind control tech..if true...could be why bucky is brainwashed in captain america the winter solder...we really may be onto something here guys lol

For all intents and purposes, Killian is the Mandarin. To an extent. I believe that The Mandarin was created by the extremis virus. Killian showed what it can do, and how it can hijack someone's mind. Aldrich Killian is Aldrich Killian, trevor, is the physical representation of what the Mandarin is. Now, as we saw through out the movie, Killian went more crazy, and crazy. Why? He already took Extremis, why is it taking so long for him to go crazy? The Mandarin, if you will, is a title he created, and gave to the entity that is doing his work, that entity, very well may be his altered point of view, created after taking Extremis..he went crazy. Creating ALMOST like a super ego type thing. This idea, that he created, is what the mandarin is. So yeah, Killian's mind IS the Mandarin,. However, I think it goes deeper than that. I think Killian lost control of his own mind, and this mandarin ego in his mind took over. Tony Is unstable, the extremis soldiers are unstable, Killian wanted tony's mind. He talked about how extremis allows you to basically hijack the mind. Now, while someone may be free to think, I think that Killian had access to the minds of the extremis soldiers. This movie, to me, was like the origin of the mandarin. We don't really know who or what he is, cause it's more than just aldrich killian, it's an image, a symbol, a persona created by his psyche due to extremis to take credit for what he did. I think he needed tony's mind, to complete extremis SO he can get complete control of his mind again, but at the end, I think he just accepts it. He lost control, this psyche completely takes over "I AM the mandarin" I think it was hinted, because extremis can hijack minds, and after that, Killian was becoming more and more unstable..so I think that this mandarin psyche created by himself was taking over.

Now here is the deal with Trevor, what I think. He is a drunk, pretty decent actor for a drunk. He said Killian "fixed him" "gave him more drugs" and gave him "surgery" Keep note, that Trevor didn't know ANYTHING..he's an actor working for this guy, but he doesn't know anything? Or he doesn't remember anything because he was being controlled?...I think he may have given him extremis. I think Killian had control over trevor. So when we saw Trevor on TV, saying you'll never see me coming, all that...it really was the mandarin, not an actor. The Mandarin, this crazy psych created by Killian thanks to extremis, was using Trevor, literally as a vessel. The Mandarin was inside trevor and was actually using him. I think that The Mandarin (this...free altered personality, if you will, subconsciously created by Killian's psyche in response to extremis) was using trevor to hide in plain site. I think the hint there, was Trevor saying what Killian did to him, via surgery. That, and Killian saying that extremis allows you to hijack minds, and the fact that Killian was getting more unstable, leads me to think that Killian is unstable. So Trevor wasn't just acting, he was being controlled by The Mandarin. This leaves a plot hole, how could he know/think he was acting then? It could be because he thought so because he had full control of his mind again...I don't know.

That's what I think the mandarin is. An altered version of Killian's personality subconsciously created after taking extremis..a sort of biological AI, who created/called itself the Mandarin, Killian/mandarin hired trevor to use and hide..Killian, still doesn't have full control of his mind...that's why he's after tony, so he can fix extremis, and be free to think completely and have full control..however, at the end of the movie, I think he just cracks, and Killian accepts that the mandarin is in his head, and the Mandarin FULLY takse over.."I am the Mandarin".

Now for the movie...it was Stark's memory. The whole movie, he told to bruce banner. We saw it how stark remembered it. Stark was at peace at the end, if you will, he has a complete character arc, now take into consideration what he said at the end to pepper. That he was onto extremis, he almost had it figured out, and he said he'll fix pepper, and fix himself, and he talks about extremis how he was almost able to figure it out.. bookmark Now hear me out. Stark..as far as we know, is good. He's stable, right? He's sane, no more anxiety? Well, WHY is he looking for help then? If that was all his memory, and it ended on a good note, WHY does he need help? that leaves a possibility, that maybe..JUST maybe, he doesn't remember it EXACTLY as it happened, because 1. It's a memory, and 2. He may still be unstable for some whatever reason, maybe something is repressed.. Back to the bookmark. He hinted there that maybe at some point in between the end of the story, and the end credit scene, maybe he did perfect extremis? Well guess what, since The Mandarin has access to anything extremis, he had access to tony' mind. However, MAYBE he couldn't hijack it because tony's mind and psyche is so strong. Maybe the mandarin altered his thoughts naturally a bit trying to hack his memory, and as a result, Tony is a bit unstable, but doesn't really know why, when it really it is because his mind fought off Mandarin, altering his memory a little bit. It all goes back to Killian talking about mind hijacking, and the fact that after that point in the movie, Killian kept loosing control..SORT of like what was happening to tony. Maybe that's how it get's figured out, that the mandarin is more than a person, and he doesn't die with a phsyical body, he could essentially be a floating consciousness or something.

Now for the masters...Captain America 2 is referred to as Avengers 1.5. It seems like we may get some sort of masters in Avengers 2...now I am putting two and two together, but Masters of evil..zemo..captain america..zemo..a hunch says Zemo will probably be in Cap 2. We'd assume Zemo is the head of HYRDRA. In the comics, AIM is a branch of HYDRA. Well, who's to say it's NOT in the movies? Now, as someone said earlier, Tony Figures out that the title, The Mandarin, means advisor to the king. Why would it call itself that? Does that hint, that Mandarin is working for/with somebody?? Assuming Zemo is the head of Hydra, he probably has power, and A LOT of money. How did Killian suddenly get money to fully fund advanced idea mechanics? Maybe Zemo funded it. Maybe zemo funded it as a branch to HYRDRA, who the world thinks is gone.. zemo being the head of Hydra, funds Killians work, as a branch of Hydra. Obviously Killian then went crazy when the Mandarin took over. But That's how I see it, if Advisor to the King is hinting at anything, it could very well hint that he worked with Zemo...which would in turn, lead me to think that zemo funded his work, and since AIM is a branch of Hydra in the comics, something similar must be going on here.

Now regardless, Trevor worked with terrorist, so he's gettin his ass locked up. I'm sure at the end of Captain America, Zemo, who is probably a world wide threat, gets reprimanded, and locked up..i'm gunna say Trevor is there as well. Remember the leader hints in TIH? Maybe he's there as well. NOW, trevor is trevor, sure, but the mandarin has access to trevors mind because Killian may have given him extremis..so boom, for all intents and purposes once again, trevor is THE mandarin.

and then we get the class breakout story in avengers 2

and that's where I am at. Have fun guys

You've got a lot of good ideas. I am 100% on board with the stuff I bolded. My main problem is the "floating consciousness" stuff and the trying to hijack Tony stuff.

1. I think the floating consciousness would be too much for the GA. And if I'm being real, Guy Pearce is out of the picture. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin may be back as the double-take bait and switch villain who just wanted us to think he was "just a crack pot actor."

2. I'm fine with Killian "needing Tony's mind" for ulterior Extremis-related purposes, but I just mean I dont think we'd ever see him take control of Tony's mind on screen. Or even outwardly depict that intent.

And finally, I have a question for you Jaqua. As I wasn't around the Hype pre-Avengers, did you have these kinds of notions for Phase 1 films? Did any of them pan out? I only ask because I feel like a lot of this specific one seems pretty legit. My only prediction other than this one is the Mind Gem in Loki's scepter which I still wholeheartedly believe is true.

2915.jpg

You've got a lot of good ideas. I am 100% on board with the stuff I bolded. My main problem is the "floating consciousness" stuff and the trying to hijack Tony stuff.

1. I think the floating consciousness would be too much for the GA. And if I'm being real, Guy Pearce is out of the picture. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin may be back as the double-take bait and switch villain who just wanted us to think he was "just a crack pot actor."

2. I'm fine with Killian "needing Tony's mind" for ulterior Extremis-related purposes, but I just mean I dont think we'd ever see him take control of Tony's mind on screen. Or even outwardly depict that intent.

And finally, I have a question for you Jaqua. As I wasn't around the Hype pre-Avengers, did you have these kinds of notions for Phase 1 films? Did any of them pan out? I only ask because I feel like a lot of this specific one seems pretty legit. My only prediction other than this one is the Mind Gem in Loki's scepter which I still wholeheartedly believe is true.

I agree with Proxy on the stuff he bolded and agreed on, i also have a problem with the floating consciousness stuff.

But something I feel is important is AIM. There is a reason we were introduced to AIM in Iron Man 3 i feel. What their tech can produce, what we were given to see by Killian in his demonstrations...that stuff works really into your theory of Winter Soldier.

I agree with Proxy on the stuff he bolded and agreed on, i also have a problem with the floating consciousness stuff.

But something I feel is important is AIM. There is a reason we were introduced to AIM in Iron Man 3 i feel. What their tech can produce, what we were given to see by Killian in his demonstrations...that stuff works really into your theory of Winter Soldier.

Yep. I think the Winter Soldier theory has some salt too.

Also I was thinking about potential Masters [of evil].

It would seem they established a sort of status quo, they have set the bar for what a "Master" can be in IM3. It can't be a henchman. It can't be Batroc the Leaper or people of his caliber. They would have to be on the intellectual/tactical level of the Mandarin. Which only leaves a few options. Villains like:

Baron Zemo
Leader
Enchantress
Ultron

I don't think we will see any low-level enforcers or B villains.

This Master = Masters of Evil thing is ridiculous guys. I swear it feels like people try to connect everything to the MoE, no matter how much of a stretch it is.

That aside, the things that stood out to me were:

-Brain Slot
-AIM
-Tony's decision

I also love how they tie in Tony's PTSD into this film.

If you think about it, both Thor and Cap come from backgrounds that bred them for war. Natasha and Barton are super secret spies. Bruce is use to the idea of being in the middle of combat.

Tony was the only one that stood out from the group when it came to war style combat and tragedy (Death of Culson), so him experiencing PSTD is something that not only makes a lot of sense, but is played very importantly and very well by Downey.

the floating consciousness stuff, may have been worded poorly. All I meant, was that this Mandarin persona could hack into/mind control anyone who has extremis, thus falling back on the "anyone can be mandarin" thing. I don't mean literally a floating consciousness, I mean that if Aldrich was going to die, The mandarin could maybe put his consciousness in someone else's body.

It's a comic book movie, I could see it happening, and I feel that just maybe, he attempted to hack into tony's but failed...IF tony took extremis

I'm not really sure what more was at work in this episode.

Other than AIM coming back and seeing like an evil mad science think tank that could menace heroes later on.

What was within the story that will affect Phase 2?

I mean maybe the President? We were actually introduced to a the MCU President here. The vice president was a traitor. Could the President be dirty as well?

This Master = Masters of Evil thing is ridiculous guys. I swear it feels like people try to connect everything to the MoE, no matter how much of a stretch it is.

That aside, the things that stood out to me were:

-Brain Slot
-AIM
-Tony's decision

i agree with the master thing though. I mean, I really do think that whoever is head of hydra right now, funded Killians work. Based on whedon's words, I am guessing we may see some form of the masters. So I am just trying to tie ironman 3 to that...that's just a bit of extra fun, but I DO think that Killian was sort of working for/with whoever is the head of Hyrda.

The main things I really think are that are definite, in my opinion, are the mandarin thing, and stark's fuzzy memory generally

Other than AIM coming back and seeing like an evil mad science think tank that could menace heroes later on.

I mean maybe the President? We were actually introduced to a the MCU President here. The vice president was a traitor. Could the President be dirty as well?

I don't know, I mean, I just really feel that there was more to the killian mandarin thing than we seem to think, I mean, the whole movie wasn't a story, it was a memory, told in a therapy environment...I think there may be some significance. I mean, the brain hacking thing Killian talking about, and stark telling a series of events as he remembers..I dunno, something fishy I feel may be going on.

All the masters may be reaching a little bit, or it may not be. But as far as tony's mental state goes, and the mandarin/killian go...I feel there is more to it than we think

I doubt we get any sense of the role of the President in Thor, if anything maybe we could see if he holds the role in Cap 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"