Iron Man Iron Man Critic Reviews

NO ONE cares for Harry's reviews. No one pays attention to the ramblings of a fatso fanboy that even Kevin Smith makes fun of (Harry's the "wheelie boy" Randall pokes fun at on Clerks 2).

David Poland had serious issues with the film on his blog (www.thehotblog.com)....

....one comment on the blog enjoyed the film greatly but pretty much agreed with what David was saying about the film....

....Interesting.

Will we get more reviews soon? It's opening on Thursday, but it's Tuesday and we still don't have that many reviews yet.

I still think this is the best small paragraph I've ever read about ANY movie.

Minnesota Star Tribune:

"Iron Man is as complex as its conflicted protagonist. It’s a slickly engineered special-effects extravaganza with a saucy sense of humor, a well-acted adult take on juvenile escapism. The first movie self-financed by Marvel Studios, it combines the thrills of a summer popcorn spectacular with the craftsmanship of a prestige picture.”

I love how suddenly to be an adult superhero is a new and refreshing thing. I realize they are talking about a higher maturity level than everything else, since alot of super hero movies lately have been fairly childish. But Spider man is really the only teenage superhero (which was something new then) unless you count some of the X - men.

I guess since Spider man is so huge and last summers movie was such a "disapointment" that people can't help but compare Tony Stark to Peter Parker. Or any comic movie to Spider man.

glad to see Iron man getting positive reviews. I haven't read any except bits of the one in German though since I don't really want to get too high expectations or anything.

Looking mostly positive so far, the general reception.

MSNBC has a glowing review of Iron Man (WARNING: some spoiler below):

‘Iron Man’ is a slick and shiny delight
Robert Downey, Jr. brings the zing that helps movie overcome the slow bits

REVIEW
By Alonso Duralde
Film critic

If you’re one of those literalists who has a hard time dealing with exploding planets, radioactive spiders or mutant genetics in your superhero movies, “Iron Man” may be right up your alley. While the big-screen debut of the armor-plated Marvel Comics hero may feature technology that’s way ahead of reality, a very human heart beats within this souped-up action machine.

Playboy arms merchant Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) has to ask himself some tough questions about his lifestyle after he’s captured in Afghanistan just minutes after demonstrating a new missile system to Army brass. Forced by his captors to create a weapon for them, Tony instead builds a suit of armor that will allow him to reflect bullets, throw flames and fly himself to safety.

He’s greeted upon his return to the States by his loyal assistant “Pepper” Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) and military pal Jim Rhodes (Terrence Howard), but Tony’s announcement to the press that Stark Enterprises will no longer create weapons — he’d seen many of his armaments in the custody of his kidnappers — sends ripples through Wall Street and confounds longtime company man Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges).

Honoring a pledge he made to the man who helped him escape, Tony decides to stop being frivolous and to make his life about something, so he streamlines and improves his armor technology until he becomes the high-flying Iron Man. And just in time, too, as Tony discovers that Stane has been selling Stark weapons to both sides of the Afghani conflict, an act that merely scratches the surface of Stane’s malice.

While director Jon Favreau is best known for writing and starring in “Swingers” and directing “Elf,” he proves himself to be a great action director as well. The vertiginous flight sequences and “biff, bam, pow” fight scenes will thrill comic-book fans and popcorn-munchers alike, and Favreau also knows when to insert physical and/or verbal humor at just the right moments. (Those steeped in the character’s lore will find lots of inside jokes and references to enjoy as well, from the appearance of a certain government agency to musical references to the theme song of the 1966 “Iron Man” cartoon show.)

Downey is a marvel, perfectly balancing both the role’s glib humor and its soul-searching, and his steamily platonic banter with Paltrow makes you wish she had taken a stab at the Renee Zellweger role in “Leatherheads.” (Bridges’ Iago-esque Stane makes for a perfect antagonist, with the actor’s egg-shaped bald giving him a wonderfully villainous mien.)

If only the non-action sequences were as consistently spot-on as the gearhead stuff, “Iron Man” would be a superhero classic. But Favreau occasionally fails to bring his usual wit to the proceedings, leading to expository and plot-driven scenes where you can actually feel the air draining out of the movie. A filmmaker on his game can make the dialogue portions of a movie like this just as entertaining as the money shots, but there are moments in “Iron Man” where you find yourself waiting for Downey to put the red-and-gold suit back on.

“Iron Man” is a satisfying and exhilarating entertainment — it’s only because it flies so high and so successfully that you notice its occasional fits and starts. But the minor bugs in the system shouldn’t dissuade you from taking the ride.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24372701/

Yes but if a critic likes a movie it's "See? The critics love it!" and if they don't then it's "Who cares? It's just one man's opinion. What do critics know?".
I'm not saying you have to agree with them at all. But a good amount of posters here do care about the critical reception a movie they are dedicated to or excited about gets. When they will turn around and say the critics are idiots and don't know anything if they bash the movie. But if the critics love it, they embrace all the positive reviews and will laud how good the movie did with critics and audiences alike, etc.

And yeah critics can be a very fickle bunch too. When Moulin Rouge came out, a lot of people trashed it, then they turned around and supported it on its way to a bunch of Academy Award nods.

Thing is though, we are only human. Sometimes it takes a while for people to warm up to certain movies. Some movies don't really hold up as well later on, some even get better.

No surprise here, after his gushing about it in an interview last week, Rolling Stone's Peter Travers totally raves about it:

There's no rust on this baby. Iron Man kicks off summer on a blazing high note and practically dares the competition to measure up. It's been years since a movie superhero was this fierce and this funny. All praise to acting dynamo Robert Downey Jr., who brings so much creative juice to the party that Iron Man achieves instant liftoff.
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/15287470/review/20532910/iron_man

Another positive from Premiere:
Congratulations, Hollywood! You've made a Marvel Comics superhero movie that doesn't suck....Iron Man is the first Marvel Comics superhero movie I would willingly sit through a second time. This is the result not just of what the movie does, but what the movie doesn't do.
http://www.premiere.com/moviereviews/4553/iron-man.html

Technically, it wasn't Hollywood that made this one...

It was ALL Marvel, baby.

:word:

Marvel Studios is based in Hollywood and so is the distributor so . . . yeah you can say Hollywood made it.

I just saw it, and yes it's *that* good. Even after ALL the clips I've seen. Really one of my favorite superhero movies so far.

I think it's safe to say we have the first bonafide critical superhero hit since Batman Begins WHICH BODES VERY WELL.

I have to say one thing about MSN's review, they obviously hate superhero movies and when they call Dr. Octopus Dr. COLLOSUS in SM2, that says something right there. And also I am sick of seeing it compared to Spider-Man. Okay we get it, you all enjoyed the Spidey movies and now are glad to see a more mature superhero movie. That's just great, but most superheroes are not teenagers. Let Tony Stark stand on his own two feet, really.

I forgot that. Wasn't that in the 60s like Spider-Man 3, though? I would mark those as critically mixed but generally (as in fans and moviegoers, but not my opinion in either case) hated.

Oh well.

Superman Returns had a 77% tomatometer.

I forgot that. Wasn't that in the 60s like Spider-Man 3, though? I would mark those as critically mixed but generally (as in fans and moviegoers, but not my opinion in either case) hated.

Oh well.
No it wasn't.

I have bought my tickets for the 8:00 show on Thursday. I'm very excited about seeing Iron Man on the big screen. I like to make my own decisions when going to the movies. I never listen to the critics because the criticise more than they critique.:im:

australias most respected movie reviewers...david and margaret from the movie show both gave it good reviews..
i think u iron man fanboys have got yourself a movie to be proud of!!
margaret in particular LOVED IT...she gave it a MASSIVE 4.5/5!!
and coming from these critics, that is an awesome score..
david was more conservative. 3.5/5..
they summed it up like this...
david: " lets not over rate this film because its good for its genre, 3.5/5."
margaret: " no i think we should over rate a film that gets it right! 4.5/5."

as i said...u iron man boys have gold on your hands....
a movie to be proud of....soak it up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"