The Comics Iron Man's personality

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
I really know Iron man from the movies, and not so much from the comic books. My question is, what is his personality like in the comic books, and how does it differ from the movies?

I would also like to know. I have never read the comics but would just read up on Stark and the only reason I even liked him was because he was an alcoholic like myself. I thought that was a big part of his character. Not in the movies though. It seems like it's not even start anymore and just downey coming onto set and being himself. When was the last time you think he thought of what Stark would do and not what I would do?

I would also like to know. I have never read the comics but would just read up on Stark and the only reason I even liked him was because he was an alcoholic like myself. I thought that was a big part of his character. Not in the movies though. It seems like it's not even start anymore and just downey coming onto set and being himself. When was the last time you think he thought of what Stark would do and not what I would do?

Exactly. As much as I love RDJ's Tony Stark, it feels like he is just acting as... himself.

Where would I begin??! Comics Tony is not nearly as flamboyant, dare I say as "flighty", as RDJ's over-the-top Tony, at least not the 616 Tony. Ultimate Tony is closer in some ways, but there's still significant difference between them. Sure he lives fast and hard and goes for the finest life has to offer, but sometimes I'd even call comics Tony "grounded" and "down to earth" by comparison. He can be much more take charge and aggressive, he can be a real leader! someone the other heroes really want to follow. One of the biggest differences I saw, is that comics Tony knows how to brood like Batman when he gets into a darker mood. Movie Tony, even when he's down he's not "down" like that.

Of course I get there are serious constraints on what you can do in just the span of a couple movies, and comics Tony has decades of experience on his movie counterpart, but if he had enough time I believe he might mature into that guy.

Last edited:
Exactly. As much as I love RDJ's Tony Stark, it feels like he is just acting as... himself.

Acting close to yourself doesn't mean it can't be great acting though.

In an interview after the People's Choice Awards, RDJ said that he sometimes goes into character at awards shows and for interviews because it's just easier and more fun that way. Downey is not "playing himself" in those movies, he's playing Tony Stark whenever he's on stage.

too bad that movie Spidey and movie Tony will "never" meet, not during the Downey era, anyway..

I really know Iron man from the movies, and not so much from the comic books. My question is, what is his personality like in the comic books, and how does it differ from the movies?

In few words: Not as over the top, funny, and arrogant. More introverted and serious. Also more responsible. Unlike in movies, Tony Stark from the comics would never give his company to anybody. He didn't quit from his job even after he got shot and became paralyzed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"