Iron Man 2 Ironman 2 Best Picture Oscar ?

HAHAHA!

I don't think anyone here means to disrespect IM2 fans or the film itself. I know I'm not, I loved the film, but its just not Oscar worthy. Also, the Academy is not going to pick a movie that doesn't have great reviews. IM2 is going to make the $ and have positive reviews, but based on the early critic reviews, there is no way this is going to be a HUGE critical success. It will be positive, but nothing extreme.

I don't expect it to be nominated at all. Then again, I don't really care about the Oscars. After Saving Private Ryan lost to a movie that was the Juno of its time, I knew it was a farce (mostly).

As for the critics, the reviews haven't been dreadful yet. I am curious to see other American publications takes. Peter Travers like it, so I would like to see other major critics reviews.

Definitely will not be a Best Picture nominee. Not that superhero movies don't deserve it, but it's way too superhero-y, if that makes sense. Too much lightness and cheesiness for AMPAS to get on board.

I wonder why they decided to show TDK for no reason at the last oscars ?

Do you think Ironman 2 will claim the glory of being the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for best picture ? :awesome:

I mean if District freakin' 9 can do it, so can Ironman.

:pal::lmao::hehe::pal::lmao:

I loved Iron Man 2 even though its not too memorable a movie, but saying a best picture nominee it isn't.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

It's not a bad movie, pretty entertaining but in no way does it deserve a best picture nomination. No offense to it but it doesn't even deserve recognition for it. It'll be nominated for visual effects and sound editing probably lose both. Oh and by the way Parker Wayne that is an amazing June

Haha yeah thanks :woot:

and I didn't even mention that senior prom and senior prom weekend precedes it! :woot::woot::woot:

I don't see a BP nom for IM2, and if it gets one, does it make it the best comic film ever? No. TDK, SM2, and Superman: The Movie all deserved BP noms, and none got them due to the 5 film limit. All of these are better than IM2, also.

I don't see a BP nom for IM2, and if it gets one, does it make it the best comic film ever? No. TDK, SM2, and Superman: The Movie all deserved BP noms, and none got them due to the 5 film limit. All of these are better than IM2, also.

Wheather or not anyone thinks it's better than those movies or not is irrelevant for the 2010 Oscars. Star Trek was in the discussion last year for best picture, and I could see IM in the discussion this year. I don't think it will be picked, because the Oscars shy away from these type of movies. I could definitely see RDJ with a best actor nomination for this movie.

I love the film, but I will be pissed if it DOES get nominated. That truly means this will be a poor year in film.

I highly doubt it, IM2 is pretty good. But not Best Picture worthy.

Though, if Avatar got a nomination....

Wheather or not anyone thinks it's better than those movies or not is irrelevant for the 2010 Oscars. Star Trek was in the discussion last year for best picture, and I could see IM in the discussion this year. I don't think it will be picked, because the Oscars shy away from these type of movies. I could definitely see RDJ with a best actor nomination for this movie.

I'm not saying that as an argument for or against IM2 getting a nom. My point is what is the worth of a BP nom? Especially if the pool of films is now 10 instead of 5. Is it the same achievement that it would have been had SM2, TDK, or Superman had been able to snag one of the 5 BP slots? I don't feel it is. I think the Oscars made a GIANT mistake increasing the pool of films to 10. The 5 films that get nominations in the expanded pool have no chance to win, much like they did when they didn't make the cut of 5. It water downs an Oscar BP nomination.

To be Devil's Advocate, Avatar was a film that boasted groundbreaking visuals that changed film forever (Its impact immediately felt through more 3D films being ordered), had a film with little-to-no plot holes, and a good number of characters.

The only problems I had was Sam Worthington at times, and the predictable, cliched, and preachy story.

IM2 is a film that boasted strong performances but was brought down pretty much by weak scriptwriting. Once again, many of the lines in the film was improvised and fans are calling for Justin Theroux's head haha. A good script is very important and even though Avatar had a predictable story, the story wasn't really flawed to me.

I think the Oscars made a GIANT mistake increasing the pool of films to 10. The 5 films that get nominations in the expanded pool have no chance to win, much like they did when they didn't make the cut of 5. It water downs an Oscar BP nomination.
Word.

(instigates)

Those posts about "relevance to modern American culture" a page back are hilarious.

:hehe:

It's unfortunate timing, because I believe that, had the Oscars implemented the ten picture race back in 2008, Iron Man very well could've gotten in. Dark Knight, as well.

Iron Man 2 on the other hand, even though I liked it, was not received nearly as well as the original, and so has little chance of sneaking into the ten.

If I were to make a guess, I think Batman 3 has the best chance of becoming the first nominated superhero film, simply given Dark Knight's eight, I think, nominations in 2008. This, of course, is barring the unlikely possibility that it absolutely sucks. :o

If Star Trek didn't neither will Iron Man 2. Hell, if any blockbusters get nominated it'll be Toy Story 3 and probably Inception (as a make-up nod for 2008)

Last edited:
Just saw the thread title.

AHAHAHAHA

IM2 was a solid fun blockbuster blast, but it's not the first movie that comes to mind when someone says "Oscar Nominee." Even TDK fit that sleeve perfectly and it didn't get jack****.

If I were to make a guess, I think Batman 3 has the best chance of becoming the first nominated superhero film, simply given Dark Knight's eight, I think, nominations in 2008. This, of course, is barring the unlikely possibility that it absolutely sucks. :o

If Inception gets nominated, Bat 3 will get nothing. Why award Nolan for a superhero movie when you can award him for Sci-Fi, something a little more "high brow".

If Star Trek didn't neither will Iron Man 2. Hell, if any blockbusters get nominated it'll be Toy Story 3 and probably Inception (as a make-up nod for 2008)

But District 9 did. :yay:

I haven't seen the movie yet & I know 'Toy Story 3' needs this Oscar. If anything else wins, the movie that wins instead of TS3 is automatically fail.

I haven't seen the movie yet & I know 'Toy Story 3' needs this Oscar. If anything else wins, the movie that wins instead of TS3 is automatically fail.

Isn't that why they started the best animated category? For cartoons about talking toys?

I still say District 9 is overrated drivel.

Can't wait to watch Inception as an impartial viewer. You really have to filter out all the Nolanite love. Fans of guys like Tarantino and Nolan view the world through very strange and very rose colored glasses. Both have made great films but they're not gods.

Yikes!

I loved this movie but an Oscar winning Motion Picture it aint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"