Is America a christian nation?

And you have a hard time believing that God could become a mortal man (for Jesus was called both "Son of God" and "God in the flesh"), suffer and die for all the sins of humanity, and rise again to forever conquer spiritual death? The Creator is always greater than the created. God is, was, and forever will be immortal. Therefore, by that reasoning, Jesus must now be immortal, since He rose from the grave to overcome death. It's all very simple...it just takes faith to accept it.

you know what I love the best?
how you go on these awesome "logic" rants that amount to nothing.
"see, you say God makes no sense , but he is God therefore he doesn't have to make sense? see? I just proved God exists!"

and I sit staring at my computer screen like "WTF? he can't be serious!"

but you are.
initially it was sad. now it's funny.
again, I know a lot of people of faith, and at least they don't try to justify themselves with false logic.
you're wrong, plain and simple.

And you have a hard time believing that God could become a mortal man (for Jesus was called both "Son of God" and "God in the flesh"), suffer and die for all the sins of humanity, and rise again to forever conquer spiritual death?
Of course the Creator of the Universe could become a man to incarnate and intentionally allow himself to be tortured and slaughtered, even though, he really didn't want to and begged...himself, to...think of some other way.............................if he was an idiot.
He's omnipotent. There's no need to go through all of that.
He could just practice what he preaches and FORGIVE everyone, especially since it ISN'T THEIR FAULT THAT THEY'RE SINFUL.
He MADE them Sinful by knowing full well that Adam and Eve would eat from the Tree, and still leaving it out for them to do so, and then, not cursing/punishing THEM for THEIR sins, but instead, cursing THE WHOLE WORLD THAT HADN'T EVEN BEEN BORN YET AND NEVER HAD A CHOICE IN THE MATTER LIKE ADAM AND EVE DID.

It's absurd.

The Creator is always greater than the created.
That's correct, but Jesus wasn't the Creator.

God is, was, and forever will be immortal. Therefore, by that reasoning, Jesus must now be immortal, since He rose from the grave to overcome death.
No, because Jesus isn't God and he didn't rise from the grave and he didn't overcome Death. That's a myth, just like the Myths in the Quran, only with a different protagonist.

The Trinity is best explained by the old comparison to relatives. For example, I am a brother, a son, an uncle, a grandson, a nephew, and a cousin...yet I'm still one, in and of myself.

By this same logic, God is one, yet has three facets: Father in Heaven, controlling time, space, and all of existence; the Son, sent to Earth on a mission of holy redemption for mankind; and finally, the Holy Spirit, a divine Comforter promised by the Son, that continually speaks to the heart of every human being. Three purposes, but all one God.

The Trinity is best explained by the old comparison to relatives. For example, I am a brother, a son, an uncle, a grandson, a nephew, and a cousin...yet I'm still one, in and of myself.

By this same logic, God is one, yet has three facets: Father in Heaven, controlling time, space, and all of existence; the Son, sent to Earth on a mission of holy redemption for mankind; and finally, the Holy Spirit, a divine Comforter promised by the Son, that continually speaks to the heart of every human being. Three purposes, but all one God.

No, because we're talking about one sentient being, god, that apparently becomes two sentient beings. It's not like the relative comparison, because that refers to different facets of the same person, different names, if you will.
This does not, as they apparently are all sentient in and of themselves.

you know what I love the best?
how you go on these awesome "logic" rants that amount to nothing.
"see, you say God makes no sense , but he is God therefore he doesn't have to make sense? see? I just proved God exists!"

and I sit staring at my computer screen like "WTF? he can't be serious!"

but you are.
initially it was sad. now it's funny.
again, I know a lot of people of faith, and at least they don't try to justify themselves with false logic.
you're wrong, plain and simple.

Hahahahaha, I know.
Here's my imitation of moviefan, with my own twist:

And you have a hard time believing that a boy could be sent to Earth from a dying planet by his Father, in a rocket ship, and that the differences in solar radiation here would endow him with special abilities that we don't have?

Superman IS from Krypton and he DOES have super powers because it says in the book that yellow sun beams make him super strong BECAUSE he's from Krypton.
Therefore, by that reasoning, we know that Superman saved us all from Brainiac.

Wait a second, if you don't take the Bible literally, why are you passing everything you say off as fact when it all comes from the Bible?

Do you think America is a Christian nation? Why or why not?

No. There is no such thing as a Christian nation. Religion is individual and personal, and the most awful thing you could do with it is associate a whole country with a specific religion. Historically speaking, there was obviously that intended "wall of separation" between the church and state. Whenever the two mingle, both sides lose more than they gain. For example, associating Christianity with America means that Christian news becomes American news, which becomes imperialistic news or Republican news or a host of other types of news in the minds of those who disapprove of America. In this case, the church is the group being hurt. Likewise, if the church becomes integrated into the government, then the choice about what religion a person will follow is gone and that undermines the foundational principles of the Constitution.

America is a democracy, not a theocracy. A biblical view of Christianity reveals that it is not confined by the borders of nations or the segregation of races, but rather lives and functions in the hearts of those involved. The only "Christian nation" is the nation of believers that make up the religion of Christianity.

Separation of church and state = :up:

Thumbs up if there was total separation of church and state, but there really isn't.

Wait a second, if you don't take the Bible literally, why are you passing everything you say off as fact when it all comes from the Bible?
I never said I didn't take the Bible literally. I said some parts of Revelation were symbolic, but that's it.

This nation was founded on the principles of freedom and individualism. I think labeling us a christian nation, a muslim nation, jewish nation, etc. would go against everything the founders envisioned for the future of the United States. I think they wanted this to be a nation of individuals that were different in every aspect of their beliefs and their lives, but respected their neighbors choices. Hence, freedom.

I never said I didn't take the Bible literally. I said some parts of Revelation were symbolic, but that's it.

You do know that the rapture's never mentioned in the book of Revelation right?

Most of the books that were supposed to be in the Bible are no longer in there because a committee of men selected what they wanted. Look it up some time.

All of our values and institutions are based on post-enlightenment values. Yes, you can draw out some connection to Christian thought, but drawing any direct relation would be dubious at best. Capitalism, fair trials and "one man, one vote" are not things that come directly out of the Bible. That, a separation of church and state is definitely not a Christian value.

No, we are not.

Kritish said:
You do know that the rapture's never mentioned in the book of Revelation right?
The word "rapture" isn't mentioned anywhere in Scriptue, but the event itself is described in 1st Thessalonians 4:13-18...

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died, so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died. We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever. So encourage each other with these words."

^Along with other verses. :)

Exactly what part? :confused:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

How does that equal = America is not a Christian nation.

I'm not saying your wrong, in fact, I agree with you, I just wanna teach people to back up their claims.

How does that equal = America is not a Christian nation.

I'm not saying your wrong, in fact, I agree with you, I just wanna teach people to back up their claims.

Show me where in the Constituton, the bill of Rights, or the Declaration where it specifies that Christianity is the religious basis of the United States of America.

The words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution-- not once.

G-d as a Creator is ambiguous language that does not refer to a specific religious.

One of the most common statements from the "Religious Right" is that they want this country to "return to the Christian principles on which it was founded".

However, a little research into American history will show that this statement is a lie.

The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States had little use for Christianity, and many were strongly opposed to it. They were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity.

They were Deists who did not believe the bible was true.

When the Founders wrote the nation's Constitution, they specified that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." (Article 6, section 3) This provision was radical in its day-- giving equal citizenship to believers and non-believers alike. They wanted to ensure that no single religion could make the claim of being the official, national religion, such as England had.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it mention religion, except in exclusionary terms.

Also the 1796 treaty with Tripoli states that the United States was "in no sense founded on the Christian religion" (see below). This was not an idle statement, meant to satisfy muslims-- they believed it and meant it. This treaty was written under the presidency of George Washington and signed under the presidency of John Adams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"