Is anyone else getting a bad feeling?

chaseter said:
And neither do you. Stop your whining. People that complain and whine 24/7 need to stop and realize they are getting another X-Men movie in the first place. Be happy with what you get.

Please read my past posts. Only the runtime is my issue. I praised the 7 minute preview. I'm fair. What I don't like I will state so. What I do like I will state so. And that will not change. Call it whining if you want, but I'd take someone whose opinion strays down the middle of positive and negative than someone who thinks everything is the most awesome of awesome no matter what.

The difference is I let people rant and/or rave. You think no one should have an opinion unless it's good otherwise you trout the old "wait till the movie comes out" advice that you yourself don't take.

WishIWasASnake said:
Some are scared of this being a train wreck, others remain optomistic, theres only one real question we must all answer...

Who will you stand with?

:)

lol, it's far from being a trainwreck. :)

I'm seeing some good things so far.

(long essay time... you shouldn't have gotten me started)

Because these are characters that are very beloved to us. I myself, have been a huge X-Men fan since a child. I grew up with these characters, my first exposure to them being the animated cartoon on Fox in the early to mid 1990's. So, I've been a fan of the X-Men for somewhere around 15 years now. And there are some of us here who have been around much longer than that, and have been fans of the X-Men for the past 40+ years since the comic book has been in existence.

When I was younger, watching the cartoons, I knew I loved the X-Men, and as I've gotten older, I realized why. Sure, superheroes and comic books are fun, but to be honest, I'm not a huge comic book fan. However, X-Men strike me as something different, because they are fun, fantastical characters, with a true, deeper meaning behind them. There is depth.

The reason why some of us are upset, concerned, scared, or however you want to put it, is because it appears that in this movie, these characters won't be brought to life. They are just going to be shells of what they really are, based off of a name, a power, and a general appearance.

Do you know why the Lord of the Rings movies are so beloved? Because not only were they amazing movies, but they showed the utmost respect to the source material. My mother is a HUGE LOTR fan from the novels, and she is absolutley thrilled with the movies. Sure, it had it's changes, as any adaptation from one form of medium to another will have, but it remained true to Tolkienn's work.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many others, Bryan Singer's take on X-Men and X2 was a very accurate representation of these characters. Changes made, yes, because it's bad enough to adapt a novel, with a self-contained storyline into a 2 hour movie (or 3 three hour movies), in the case of LOTR), but to do that with 40 years worth of material, much of which has contradicted itself over that time, it's very hard to not have deviations.

But despite all of the deviations, overall, Bryan Singer was accurate to the depth of the source material, the world, and it's characters. To me, watching Bryan Singer's movies, I truly felt like I was watching the X-Men. Some people will complain about Wolverine's screen time, or Cyclops' lack thereof, but I believe it's nit picking, and not accurate to what was truly displayed.

With this movie, however, it seems to be the opposite. This movie is adapting one of the most admired story arcs in the history of the source material, and yet, this film seems to be taking the biggest creative "liberties", if you actually want to give it that much justice.

We are going to have arguably the most important character in the X-Men world killed off, something that never happens in the source material. And not only that, but it is happening in a story arc that he is supposed to be a major player in.

We're going to have Wolverine take command as a leader of the X-Men. Never has Wolverine been a leader, he is not a leader type. He is definatley not the poster boy for Xavier's ideaology like Cyclops is.

I won't complain about Storm stepping up into her role, because despite the fact that her role should have gone to Cyclops, her role IS accurate to what Storm would face should Cyclops and Xavier ever pass on.

These aren't minor changes to help transition the material from comic book page to big screen film. These aren't changes like altering Lady Deathstrike into a mutant who has the exact same powers as Wolverine, who also had the adamantium procedure done. This isn't a change like changing William Stryker from a reverend, or priest, or whatever he was, to a Colonel (which, I believe even his comic backstory had him as a retired colonel before becoming a priest).

No, this is taking the leader of the X-Men, arguably the most important character in X-Men history (even if he isn't the most popular, or famous, or recognizable), and killing him off early in the story to play a non-factor in a story arc that he has major involvement in. This is taking a very well known character in Wolverine, and turning him into a house trained leader, not the rebel who does things his own way.

You are screwing with 2 major characters, quite possibly the 2 biggest characters EVER in the X-Men, and turning one into something that he's not, and killing off the other when there's no source material precedent for it.

It's taking quite possibly the most beloved story arc of all time within the source material, and totally changing it up, focusing on a lust as the savior, instead of the true love that should be the savior.

Imagine having Aragorn killed off in Lord of the Rings, and Frodo becomes King of Gondor. How well do you think that would sit with fans of the source material? And do you think they'd accept some kind of "Well this is the movie, not the book, and they had to work within the parameters to make the movie work" excuse?

That is exactly what this is.

Again, I'm not against change. I embrace the change from comic book page to big screen film strip, as I understand that not everything can remain 100% faithful. BUT, despite the fact that this isn't the comic, you are still making an X-Men movie. If you are going to make a film that's not loyal to the source material, then you shouldn't call it X-Men. You shouldn't call these characters Cyclops, Wolverine, and Xavier. Changes need to be made, yes, but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. And killing off Cyclops, and turning Wolverine into a leader and Jean Grey's savior, crosses it, and crosses it big time.

freshandclean said:
Please read my past posts. Only the runtime is my issue. I praised the 7 minute preview. I'm fair. What I don't like I will state so. What I do like I will state so. And that will not change. Call it whining if you want, but I'd take someone whose opinion strays down the middle of positive and negative than someone who thinks everything is the most awesome of awesome no matter what.

The difference is I let people rant and/or rave. You think no one should have an opinion unless it's good otherwise you trout the old "wait till the movie comes out" advice that you yourself don't take.
Pessimism never gets anybody any where. You can have your opinions that is fine...but for people to say this movie will suck or not be as good as others before they have even seen it...is just crazy. There are more positive things going for this movie than negative...yet people still want to gripe about those few negative things. And ranting gets no where. People can rant and rant all they want but it will not change anything. Kinberg and a lot of other people view these boards...why not let them see praise for their efforts. I am glad they are giving us X3.

thanks for making this thread useful, but not alot of people will come in here and read it, lol....
ugh good points though, i like your essays, lol.

AVP82 said:
lol, it's far from being a trainwreck. :)

I'm seeing some good things so far.

Personally I'm excited to no end for this movie, and that scene with Magneto talking to callisto, with Quills askingg wheres his mark, that ruled. Plus I like Juggs and Vinnie Jones owns. Theres plenty of things that makes me thrilled. Do I have some doubts? Am i afraid of some things that will be done? You betcha, but I'm going to see this movie, and hopefully enjoy it.

I Stand with X-3

I'm sure every single person here cares.....lol :up:

chaseter said:
Pessimism never get anybody any where. You can have your opinions that is fine...but for people to say this movie will suck or not be as good as others before they have even seen it...is just crazy. There are more positive things going for this movie than negative...

Overwhelming pessimism? Sure. And I feel that people who think it's doomed and will be like Fantastic Four are pretty crazy myself. But having a healthy skepticism is not negative. The runtime for example. This 2 hour thing came up and everyone jumped on it. For those who were skeptical about it, it worked out better for them (so to speak). They expected it and didn't give into all the hype about a 2.5 hour movie.

But I think it's just as premature to say the movie will be "AWESOME. THE BEST OF THE X FILMS" as "THIS WILL BE THE WORST FILM. EVER!" Sure, there are more positives than negatives (to us) about this film, it still doesn't mean it'll be better than X-Men 2 to some people (myself included).

First off all you guys can say im a noobie cuz this is my first post. Well im far from that im 26 years old i had read Xmen since i was probly 8 or 9 years old, so that is alot of years. And ill be honest the last 2 movies are far and beyond wat i could of dreamed of back then, still far and beyond what i could imagine now. I think Fox did a hell of a job with the trilogy. Ok ya they didnt follow certain paths as the comics did. So wat? the comics arent even following paths anymore. There are so many spin offs of the X-men now to keep the story alive i cant even follow it. We should all be grateful there is a X3 to watch and not criticize it for not following the comics to book. I know growing up as a child i always dreamed to see these characters on the big screen n now we all got lucky enuff to hav 3 movies. I wanna applaud Fox for stepping up n believing in creating these movies n not criticize them for the minor or sumwat major details they didnt put in. Alright im good jus needed to say that, i might not even need to post another thing now.

chaseter said:
Pessimism never gets anybody any where. You can have your opinions that is fine...but for people to say this movie will suck or not be as good as others before they have even seen it...is just crazy. There are more positive things going for this movie than negative...yet people still want to gripe about those few negative things. And ranting gets no where. People can rant and rant all they want but it will not change anything. Kinberg and a lot of other people view these boards...why not let them see praise for their efforts. I am glad they are giving us X3.

Why not? This is a forum for communication. If there are some negative aspects of the film, then I encourage people to debate and talk about them. Flesh out ideas. Explain their point of view. I mostly ignore the more extreme and petty reactions, but how boring would this place be if there was no worthy interactions between people.

I think there's plenty of praising on this board. The majority opinion about the 7 minute preview was positive.

freshandclean said:
Overwhelming pessimism? Sure. And I feel that people who think it's doomed and will be like Fantastic Four are pretty crazy myself. But having a healthy skepticism is not negative. The runtime for example. This 2 hour thing came up and everyone jumped on it. For those who were skeptical about it, it worked out better for them (so to speak). They expected it and didn't give into all the hype about a 2.5 hour movie.

But I think it's just as premature to say the movie will be "AWESOME. THE BEST OF THE X FILMS" as "THIS WILL BE THE WORST FILM. EVER!" Sure, there are more positives than negatives (to us) about this film, it still doesn't mean it'll be better than X-Men 2 to some people (myself included).
I am not pessimistic...I see myself as realsitic. I didn't get into the 2 hour hype and wage war agaisnt the doubters either. I am happy we have 1 hour and 36 mins instead of 0 hours 0 mins. X2 topped X1 in a lot of ways...X3 is looking like it will do the same to X2. The clips, spots, trailers, etc...are just as beautifully crafted if not more than X2.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
(long essay time... you shouldn't have gotten me started)

Changes need to be made, yes, but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. And killing off Cyclops, and turning Wolverine into a leader and Jean Grey's savior, crosses it, and crosses it big time.

Really?? I don't find it crossing the line if Wolverine become's Jean's savior. I just wish Cyclops would be more involved too, but I think that line you're referring to varies from person to person.

tclark10 said:
First off all you guys can say im a noobie cuz this is my first post. Well im far from that im 26 years old i had read Xmen since i was probly 8 or 9 years old, so that is alot of years. And ill be honest the last 2 movies are far and beyond wat i could of dreamed of back then, still far and beyond what i could imagine now. I think Fox did a hell of a job with the trilogy. Ok ya they didnt follow certain paths as the comics did. So wat? the comics arent even following paths anymore. There are so many spin offs of the X-men now to keep the story alive i cant even follow it. We should all be grateful there is a X3 to watch and not criticize it for not following the comics to book. I know growing up as a child i always dreamed to see these characters on the big screen n now we all got lucky enuff to hav 3 movies. I wanna applaud Fox for stepping up n believing in creating these movies n not criticize them for the minor or sumwat major details they didnt put in. Alright im good jus needed to say that, i might not even need to post another thing now.

I agree with you about the whole we shouldn't get mad at them for not exactly following the comics...

But at the same time, don't you agree that there has to be a line, just to keep these characters as the X-Men, and not some random characters that just happen to be named Scott, Logan, and Ororo?

Cyclops being killed is the only thing for me that will ruin this. Why? Because it's not staying true to the essence of the character.

Death is part of Jean Grey's arc, and her resurrection. Not Cyclops' arc. He should be leading. Not floating around as a bunch of microscopic molecules on the banks of Alkali Lake.

I think the real issue isn't whether this will be a 'good' or 'bad' movie. It's the fact that there is obviously a thickly drawn line between avid fanboys who expect these movies to be near replicas of the comics... and casual fans who have stumbled across the board and have a decent, casual knowledge of the comics/history. I'm finding myself more and more on the side of the latter. I don't find any fault in the people who are scared/upset...I just can't identify with them specifically. I started getting interested in the X-Men world around 94 or 95, and certainly am not nearly as versed or knowledgeable on the history of the series as most of the people on this board.

The criticisms of the movie don't seem to revolve as much around action, cinematography, script, etc. as they do simply with the way the movies mirror the comics. So to end a longwinded comment (sorry, I tend to ramble), I don't think the issue is the movie as a MOVIE. Instead I think the issue is that there are two GREATLY differing views on what this movie is supposed to be; some think it should have been an attempt to accurately, and in detail, portray the comics that people have to come to embrace over decades. The other side view it simply as an entertaining reproduction of a story they recognize, but aren't very specifically attached to.

Nell inspires me to fight. His long essay posts are like a call to arms. I dunno what we are fighting but dang he was right.

Imagine having Aragorn killed off in Lord of the Rings, and Frodo becomes King of Gondor. How well do you think that would sit with fans of the source material? And do you think they'd accept some kind of "Well this is the movie, not the book, and they had to work within the parameters to make the movie work" excuse?

That is exactly what this is.

:up: :up: :up:

My thoughts exactly.

chaseter said:
I am not pessimistic...I see myself as realsitic. I didn't get into the 2 hour hype and wage war agaisnt the doubters either. I am happy we have 1 hour and 36 mins instead of 0 hours 0 mins. X2 topped X1 in a lot of ways...X3 is looking like it will do the same to X2. The clips, spots, trailers, etc...are just as beautifully crafted if not more than X2.

:up:

I just thought they did the best they could with what they had to work with... I have to be honest... this is really the first time i have ever worried about runtimes with any movie i was looking forward too... so if I hadn't before... why start now and let it ruin this movie for me...

Lets just wait to see the movie...and not overhype either side, positive or negative.

DroolingforGwen said:
I just thought they did the best they could with what they had to work with... I have to be honest... this is really the first time i have ever worried about runtimes with any movie i was looking forward too... so if I hadn't before... why start now and let it ruin this movie for me...

i agree with you on that too, i cant remmber worrying about a runtime, the only time i really acknowledged a runtime is what time of day ill go see it in the theater..... intresting....

no...no bad feeling at all...I'm still very very very excited to see this and its about the only thing that gets me going everyday for the last few weeks...wether its a spoiler or a new clip...I'm there opening day no matter what I see, or read about it.

Fanticon said:
no...no bad feeling at all...I'm still very very very excited to see this and its about the only thing that gets me going everyday for the last few weeks...wether its a spoiler or a new clip...I'm there opening day no matter what I see, or read about it.
Me too:) Everyone could say it sucked horribly and I would still go see it.

Spidey 2007 said:
i agree with you on that too, i cant remmber worrying about a runtime, the only time i really acknowledged a runtime is what time of day ill go see it in the theater..... intresting....

I really only want longer films when they're movies I plan on seeing vs. movies that I go to see spur of the moment or just because. And X-Men is my most anticipated movie this year.

Fanticon said:

That's kind of sad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"