Is Batman an athiest?

And I don't know if I remember correctly but i think he quoted this one too: "There are not facts, just interpretations".
One thing that Nolan would undoubtedly agree, Memento is very much about it.

Nietzsche said:
Do you think that Batman is an athiest or at least agnostic?
As he is a master scientist, highly rational and serious and, more importantly, supposed to have a genius IQ, I can only imagine that Batman/Bruce Wayne does not believe in God or at least sees no reason to believe in him and is agnostic, claiming no knoweldge of his existence or non-existence (as none of us can). I was just wondering what you think because in contrast I would imagine that Spider-man and Captain America probably are christians or religious in some way lol. This may not be a relevant or important fact, but then neither are lots of forums in this place. So, just speculate away,
do you imagine Bruce is religious or agnostic or athiest? What would his opinion be of religious people?
Is the Pope Catholic? (He's German,though)

SatanBurger said:
The most powerful man in the most powerful country is a stuttering, violent christian fundamentalist. If anyone should feel uncomfortable it's those on the other side of your fence.

I am a Christian but liberal, and why should Christians feel uncomfortable for the messups of one man? I don't feel uncomfortable because I do not support him, though I doubt my religious views would agree much with his.

Nietzche - I clearly need to do some more research on Nietzche before answering your explanations of his theories. Perhaps it is just beyond my mental capacity to understand how nothing can be proven.

I don't necessarily agree that religion, Christianity anyway, suppresses us to be less than we can be - on the contrary. Christians may define success differently though. Monetary wealth is not important. Why should it be? Christians are encouraged to use all their gifts to their fullest potential.

Thinking and reasoning...
When I was a child, I went to church blind, I believed in God because my parents told me to, I didn't question. When I became older, I learned to question and wanted proof about Christianity. I consider myself a person to follow logic, and I had to make sure that my faith followed logic. I did some research. The FACTS around the Resurrections and the Creation gave me what I needed. I used Thinking and Reasoning.

If God allowed all people to come into heaven, yes that's encouraging. But what would be discouraging would be that that would mean that there is no... repercussion, no accountability. No matter how someone lives, they are treated the same in the afterlife? What about the holocaust, the Nazis, Hitler? Think about the most evil person you can in history, maybe it's me, I don't know. It's a very discouraging thought to think that I'm going to see that person again in Heaven, that they are going to get the same rewards that I'm going to get. If there is no Hell, what is the difference how I live my life. I might come stab you to death out of spite, what difference does it make? Also, in order to be forgiven, you have to ask for forgiveness.

Getting back on topic...
In the DC Universe, I think that all characters at least have to acknowledge the existence of any and all gods. Some characters are descendants of or given powers by Greek gods, there are demons in the DCU, there are angels, there are aliens, and also just plain wierdos. They may not worship any particular god, but they have to at least acknowledge their existence. Now, if I were writing the Who's Who entry on Batman, I would think that he acknowledges the existence of God but refuses to give him any recognition (if that makes sense) because he's so mind-bent on one thing.

in response to happsters comment about god letting everyone into heaven, I'm in the belief of a heaven and a hell, but I do not believe God condemns people. I believe that if people have lived bad lives when they do die and face god, they do not want to accept that they lived wrongly, and instead push god away, even though God still loves them. A theory C. S. Lewis first came up with in his book the Great Divorce. I've never read the book but I kno of its idea.

--just my ideas.

thehappster said:
Getting back on topic...
In the DC Universe, I think that all characters at least have to acknowledge the existence of any and all gods. Some characters are descendants of or given powers by Greek gods, there are demons in the DCU, there are angels, there are aliens, and also just plain wierdos. They may not worship any particular god, but they have to at least acknowledge their existence. Now, if I were writing the Who's Who entry on Batman, I would think that he acknowledges the existence of God but refuses to give him any recognition (if that makes sense) because he's so mind-bent on one thing.

That's true. I mean, he was in the same group (JLA) with a frickin' ANGEL. He knows that God exists, he just doesn't have faith in him/her/it/she-male/whatever.

not every incarnation of batman must acknowledge that stupid azriel character though. what a stupid idea. a crime fighting angel. honestly.

i do agree with the fact that i think batman believes inGod (the christian God) but doesnt really worship him cuz hes so mind bent on crimefighting. but he does acknoledge him.

BatmanRules33 said:
i do agree with the fact that i think batman believes inGod (the christian God) but doesnt really worship him cuz hes so mind bent on crimefighting. but he does acknoledge him.
I havent seen anything that leads him to believing in a Christian god....

I think MOST incarnations have him as an Athiest. (as it should be IMO)

Comic Book Boy said:
I havent seen anything that leads him to believing in a Christian god....

I think MOST incarnations have him as an Athiest. (as it should be IMO)
no your stupid and wrong, batman is not an Athiest!

BatmanRules33 said:
i agree batman Rules he worships the christian god

Riven said:
You of all people should know that God is Dead...

nietzsche%202.gif

I'd say Batman is an atheist, yeah. He's too cynical to believe in a god...
your an idiot riven batman believes in God!

Although DC has never had batman officially take a postion, I personally believe that Batman does believe in God, but is mighty pissed at Him for letting his parents die.

EverlovingThing said:
your an idiot riven batman believes in God!
So, Riven is an idiot and Comic Book Boy is stupid and wrong? :rolleyes: What a convincing argument.

"And I do not pray, For I have no God" Batman in Arkham Asylum.

*Cough* Spiderfreddie *Cough*

Stryker said:
So, Riven is an idiot and Comic Book Boy is stupid and wrong? :rolleyes: What a convincing argument.

"And I do not pray, For I have no God" Batman in Arkham Asylum.

*Cough* Spiderfreddie *Cough*
(cough) bullcrap(cough) arkham asylum is notreal continuity(bullcrap)

Nietzsche said:
not every incarnation of batman must acknowledge that stupid azriel character though. what a stupid idea. a crime fighting angel. honestly.

You got the characters mixed up. ZAUREL was the crime-fighting angel. Azrael was a former cult assassin who tried to take over as Batman after Bane broke his back.

There should be an issue with Batman giving off the best line from Pitch Black.

"I absolutely believe in god and I absoulutely hate the mother *%#@er"

Bruce has seen more hate and suffering in the world than almost any other human being. If there is a god in the DC universe (Which it is pointed out that there is) I don't believe Bruce would like him very much.

Personally I believe in "God", but don't follow any of the arcane organised religions. I simply achknowledge that something created the universe and that something is probably sentient. That's about the only thought I put into the matter. Man isn't suppossed to know what God is or if he exists. Too much of time and effort is wasted on worshipping god that should be used to solve the problems of here and now. The mere estate of Vatican City is worth 50 billion. That money could end world hunger. Instead it's used pointlessly.

Batman isn't an atheist but he also doesn't follow any religion.

Diest I imagine. Popular following during the age of reason and considered the fourth ism (theism, atheism, agnostism, deism)

BASICALLY, God creates, then abandons. Miracles and divine intervention do not exist. God only interveins occasionally when the world becomes too askew and just tinkers, then steps back again and watches his creation.

This is also reffered to as the clockwork god. I think if Bruce did believe in anything, he would probably be a deist.

In the DC universe, I'm sure Batman acknowledges the confirmed existence of god, but probably doesn't worship him. If Batman lived in our world, though, I'd definitely go for atheist.

Spiritual, not religious.
Batman #541 "The Spectre of Vengeance Part Two: Mask of Guilt"
Batman asks the Spectre: "You spoke to Tony Sparks...in hell?"
Spectre: "In a place within the souls of the dead which passes for hell, yes."
Batman: "Then there's a heaven too?"
Spectre: "I have seen such a place...but whether in reality or illusion, I know not."
Batman: "But it...seemed real?"
Spectre: "I would not have thought YOU needed the crutch of such a promise."
Batman: "Not me. There were two people I...once knew. And cared about. They...were murdered."
Spectre: "And you wish to know if they are at peace in heaven."
Batman: "Yes. Their names were--"
Spectre: "Preserve your mind and soul where they belong, mortal--in the misted struggle between doubt and faith."
Batman: "But if you know--"
Spectre: "What I know is not yours to know. Besides, I am far more familiar with the denizens of hell...then the geography of heaven."
Batman #544 "Major Arcana"
Batman: "Joker is dabbling in actual demonology...making a study of the black arts."
Alfred: "Surely there are no real demons, are there?"
Batman: "I'm afraid there are, Alfred...or at least entities which might as well be demons."
Batman #552 "The Greatest Evil"
Batman: "What? Balls of light drifting through the cave...some sort of geomagnetic anomaly...the phenomenon known as "earthlights"? Or something else? Something more? Perhaps even...a sign?"
Vasper: "Hello?"
Batman: "Vasper?"
Vasper: "Yes, Bruce?"
Batman: "I think...no, I'm certain.."
Vasper: "Certain about what, Bruce?"
Batman: "I...I love you."

Well I know for fact that after a little talk from Rachel, Batman is now a Scientologist! :D

EverlovingThing said:
i agree batman Rules he worships the christian god

Thats too bad, I hoped he would worship the one true GOD of the Christians, Muslims and Jews and every other religion, of the believers and the disbelievers, and of all of Creation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"