Is Dane Cook funny? Are his movies funny?

His stand-up is hilarious.
I thought his kool-aid act was pretty funny, so I got a kool-aid avatar because I was bored.

His stand-up is okay, but it's not as hilarious as everyone makes it out to be. I don't understand where the bandwagon came from. Last year, there was a big buzz about him and friends and strangers were asking me if I was a fan of his. I finally saw him in an interview and put a face to the name and immediately knew who he was from past stuff, but I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to find out this guy was the "great Dane Cook." While some of his stuff made me laugh, I never got a Chris Rock, Jon Stewart, Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, George Carlin vibe from him.

SpandexFan said:
His stand-up is okay, but it's not as hilarious as everyone makes it out to be. I don't understand where the bandwagon came from. Last year, there was a big buzz about him and friends and strangers were asking me if I was a fan of his. I finally saw him in an interview and put a face to the name and immediately knew who he was from past stuff, but I have to admit, I was a little disappointed to find out this guy was the "great Dane Cook." While some of his stuff made me laugh, I never got a Chris Rock, Jon Stewart, Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, George Carlin vibe from him.

I'm proud to say that I was a fan long before there was a bandwagon. Back he was just the crazy comedian who'd appear on Leno in a black and yellow biker jacket. I actually don't like that fact that soo many people like him now. Not because of the usual "dislike things that are popular" emo crap, but I'm getting tired of hearing people totally bomb impressions of him. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Colossal Spoons said:
I'm proud to say that I was a fan long before there was a bandwagon. Back he was just the crazy comedian who'd appear on Leno in a black and yellow biker jacket. I actually don't like that fact that soo many people like him now. Not because of the usual "dislike things that are popular" emo crap, but I'm getting tired of hearing people totally bomb impressions of him. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Same deal here. I was a fan before the release of his first CDs, and I always knew he'd be big. Last year was when he really blew up, and I agree about EVERYONE liking him now. Some people just tell horrific versions of his jokes/stories.

"oh no! You better fix that hole in the wall before my dad comes home from work!"

Employee of the Month looks hilarious, and I want him to say in Transformers like "RRRRRRR I HATE Decepticons!!:mad: "

Is Dane Cook funny?

Standup: Very.

Anything else I've seen him on (including SNL): No.

His stand up is okay, just very overrated. He shouldn't be allowed to make movies.

^ Worst attempt at spam ever but "hi back".

theShape said:
Same deal here. I was a fan before the release of his first CDs, and I always knew he'd be big. Last year was when he really blew up, and I agree about EVERYONE liking him now. Some people just tell horrific versions of his jokes/stories.

Oh goodness, I hear the BK drive-thru joke butchered way to often. I think the reason his SNL wasn't as funny as peoplw would have expected is because he's just not a sketch comedian. Stand up comedy and sketch comedy are like apples and oranges.

He's only funny watching him on stand-up. He relies too much on acting out a joke rather than saying it. Outside of stand-up, he pretty much sucks.

His stand up is good though, I'll admit.

Colossal Spoons said:

Oh goodness, I hear the BK drive-thru joke butchered way to often. I think the reason his SNL wasn't as funny as peoplw would have expected is because he's just not a sketch comedian. Stand up comedy and sketch comedy are like apples and oranges.

He wasn't funny on SNL because SNL doesn't have funny writers, the only funny thing was his monologue 'cause he wrote that. He kinda reminds me of a hyperactive Ryan Reynolds. He may have alot of movies coming out, but he's probably not the star.

He is funny as a comedian, not as an actor.

Spidey-Bat said:
He's only funny watching him on stand-up. He relies too much on acting out a joke rather than saying it. Outside of stand-up, he pretty much sucks.

Then why are his CDs so successful?

Spidey-Bat said:

That's what so great about him. He doesn't just stand there and tell jokes with a set-up and a punchline. He creates these stories that are somewhat believeable, and he basically acts them out. And in each of his stories are some hilarious, little tidbits that are thrown in there in the set up.

He doesn't just tell jokes. He delivers them in his own, original way, in which he makes up words and phrases that became crazes with his fans. And a lot of his stories are scenarios where you can go, "Yeah...that's happened to me, but I never though of it that way."

And that's why he's the biggest name in comedy now.

Also, how you can you all say "His stand-up's good. Outside of that he sucks" when he has barely done anything so far outside of stand-up? A few cameo movie roles, SNL, and the Tourgasm show. SNL's sucked for years. It's not all about the host.

Colossal Spoons said:

Oh goodness, I hear the BK drive-thru joke butchered way to often.

Get some sauce! come on. SHE WANTS IT HER WAY!!!

Colossal Spoons said:
Then why are his CDs so successful?

Because people buy them.

theShape said:
That's what so great about him. He doesn't just stand there and tell jokes with a set-up and a punchline. He creates these stories that are somewhat believeable, and he basically acts them out. And in each of his stories are some hilarious, little tidbits that are thrown in there in the set up.

He doesn't just tell jokes. He delivers them in his own, original way, in which he makes up words and phrases that became crazes with his fans. And a lot of his stories are scenarios where you can go, "Yeah...that's happened to me, but I never though of it that way."

Other comedians do that, but they don't rely on acting their jokes out to make the audience laugh. Look at the greats like Carlin and Pryor. They rarely acted out their jokes. Cook does it pretty much all the time.

Also, how you can you all say "His stand-up's good. Outside of that he sucks" when he has barely done anything so far outside of stand-up? A few cameo movie roles, SNL, and the Tourgasm show. SNL's sucked for years. It's not all about the host.

Just because he has done barely anything doesn't mean I can't criticize it. That's like saying "You can't criticize a new director b/c he's only done one movie".

Spidey-Bat said:
Because people buy them.

Heh, thanks. I meant with the CDs you can't see him act out the jokes so there must be more to his appeal and I'd say it's the overall delivery. He pauses at all the right places, repeats stuff if need be in just the right way, etc.

People tend to compare comedians too often. Most may fit into a certain style but each has a unique flavor.

Then it's because people are stupid and laugh anyway.

im going to name my first son megatron, and the other optimus prime

Spidey-Bat said:

I diagree, if you watched tourgasm you could see that he has a very good sense of humour and a talent for funny comebacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"