Is God real?

It's illegal to beat anyone up just the same?

everyone mixes religion and politics, you can't help it.

that's why people say it's not polite to discuss religion or politics

DareDemon said:
It's illegal to beat anyone up just the same?
You get punished more when it is believed your attack is racially motivated. In this gays if you hate gays because they are gay and you beat one up that's a hate crime. If you beat up a guy that happens to be gay, not because he is gay, then you will still get charged with a hate crime.

For myself, I have no good description for my stance. "Agnostic spiritualism" is the closest I've seen, but still that's not it exactly. I think there's something (mostly based on the existence of sapience, I have a somewhat convoluted reasoning for feeling so, I don't feel like writing it all out, so I'll leave it at that).

I think that something may be a God. It may not be. I know I'm not going to figure it out. That's kind of agnosticism, but anogsticism carries the implication that, at least tentatively, one assumes there is nothing, through an Occam's razor sort of reasoning. I'm completely unsure, and make no assumpitions either way.

Tangled Web said:
You get punished more when it is believed your attack is racially motivated. In this gays if you hate gays because they are gay and you beat one up that's a hate crime. If you beat up a guy that happens to be gay, not because he is gay, then you will still get charged with a hate crime.

Yeah, that's messed up. And really, why should the motive matter? Shouldn't you get the same sentance no matter what?

The Question said:
Yeah, that's messed up. And really, why should the motive matter? Shouldn't you get the same sentance no matter what?
Because they want to keep the racists off the street.

DareDemon said:
I am a Christian, so I follow my God's laws. I also follow laws given by the government. However, I do not think the government should make people follow God's law. For example, homosexuality. It is a sin, but I don't think it should be illegal, because it does not infringe upon anyone's rights. However, murder is also a sin, but it's illegal because it takes rights away from others.

that is a 100% respectable point of view! I can always respect a religous person's desire to follow what they believe to the the will of God, but I can never respect a religous person's desire to make other people do it too.

The Question said:

Yes, unless circumstance mitigate like self defence.

- Whirly

The Question said:

To be serious just for a moment... It's impossible to divert all biases and even so it something called the media and mass culture. Gays are the "in" thing now and the racial hate crimes will always exist, so people have feelings toward that, so there's a lot of pressure to give a higher sentence, than say if someone just beat someone up for pissing htem off.

You really have to be an idiot to believe in any kind of higher power.

Unleashed said:

Atheism: the religion devoted to the worship of one's own smug sense of superiority. :)

Unleashed said:
You really have to be an idiot to get upset over other people's beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"