Is God real?

Lackey said:
it's obvious it upsets you.

BTW, you're not Hype's resident Atheist, you barely registered a few months ago. You probably embarrass Hype's resident atheists to be associated with you. :o

i know i'm embarassed.

Movies205 said:
Most self-proclaimed "atheists" are agnostic because quite a few ***** and moan about religion, when if you're a real "atheist" you simply would not care.

that doesn't really make sense. for example i'm annoyed at people for believing in many things that are verifably false, like horoscopes.

i'd be annoyed if people believed in witches. mostly because it would bring the possibility of people being burnt.

Leto Atrides said:
I actually got a bunch of my friends to start calling themselves agnostic instead of atheist when they found out what a strong cannotation of being an smug ***hole "Atheist" carries.

Not saying any atheists necessarily are, just saying that is the stereotype.

i think there are smug *******s on all sides.

i don't think people should abandon an accurate discription of themselves. that's letting the *******s and the ignorant that would paint people with the same brush win.

Abaddon said:
People aren't burnt at the stake anymore.:confused:

well people don't believe in witches anymore.

if you believed in witches you probably wouldn't think incarceration would work on them. so best to kill them one way or the other.

Aren't there two kinds of athiests anyway?Those that don't believe in God,and those that deny Gods existence.:confused:

i fail to see how those two descriptions could describe different sets of people. unless ones denying was a deception.

Movies205 said:
Most self-proclaimed "atheists" are agnostic because quite a few ***** and moan about religion, when if you're a real "atheist" you simply would not care.

that's complete BS. The church vote elected Bush. this is the kind of effect religion has on the one and only world I get to live in. Yes it bothers the bad place out of me and even pisses me off. My sister whom is a lesbian gets treated unfairly every now and then. Why? because of religion.

Of course it's going to bother me. It's standing in the way of world peace! How could that not bother anybody?

Racism bothers me as well. That doesnt' make racist. In fact it makes me the opposite.

Danalys said:
i fail to see how those two descriptions could describe different sets of people. unless ones denying was a deception.

I mean people who don't believe in God because of a lack of proof,and those who don't because they don't believe there's any logic behind God's existence.

athiests just don't believe there is a god. agnostics claim no knowlage of a god.

What do Agnostics have to do wth anything?

I just got back from Snipe Hunting with God, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus in the forests of Nevernever Land... so what did I miss?

vegeta21 said:
I want to post where I get my sources from, but it is a somewhat sensitive issue to me and I personally feel there will be people from both religious people and atheists will ridicule me for it. Lets just say I have a high interest in this subject and have heard many accounts of people who have a deep spiritual "connection"
so to speak. If you want to search the terms "Ascended masters" or "Ascended hosts", or Kim Michaels, if you are personally interested, you might find what i am talking about.

Ok fair enough I was just wondering :up:

What kind of poll is this?

"Yes, probably"
"No, probably not"
"Not sure"

Where are "Yes, definitely" and "No, definitely not"?

To attempt to clarify the whole agnostic/atheist thing (going by the actual meanings of the terms).

An atheist doesn't believe there is a God, because there can't be one. I.E. they find the entire idea of a God completely impossible. Which makes them no more right than religious people IMO.

An agnostic says it's possible that a God could exist, but since there is no proof, they assume there isn't one. Basically, Occam's razor. Generally, if someone's reasoning for not believing in God is there have seen no proof, they are an agnostic. There are subdivisons, for how likely someone thinks there is a God, from a very small chance to even odds. I forgot the terms though.

And if someone is against the idea of religon, that's being antitheistic. It has nothing to do with atheism. E.G. Unleashed.

Whirlysplat said:
Prove it and I say this to all of you if you believ in him or not please prove God is or isn't real. Till then i'm hedging my bets.

- Whirly

there's this thing called the burden of proof you should read about. find out where it lies in this situation.

I'm an agnostic,but I'm very open to the idea of God's existence,even though I'm aware that might simply be a matter of tradition or other factors that influence faith.:confused:

And whats all this about proof?I thought faith wasnt based on scientific evidence.

i'm only as agnostic about a god as i am about anything else. i'm as comfortable saying i have a body, as i am saying there is no god.

Leto Atrides said:
Sounds like weak agnosticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_agnosticism

Basically, it means you think either could be true but can't say anything conclusive.

Eh..I think its unknowable,but I have entertained the idea that God is an aspect of every person.I occassionally tread on my Western philosophies,but I can't say there's anything definitive about my belief in God.:confused:

Leto Atrides said:
To attempt to clarify the whole agnostic/atheist thing (going by the actual meanings of the terms).

An atheist doesn't believe there is a God, because there can't be one. I.E. they find the entire idea of a God completely impossible. Which makes them no more right than religious people IMO.

An agnostic says it's possible that a God could exist, but since there is no proof, they assume there isn't one. Basically, Occam's razor. Generally, if someone's reasoning for not believing in God is there have seen no proof, they are an agnostic. There are subdivisons, for how likely someone thinks there is a God, from a very small chance to even odds. I forgot the terms though.

And if someone is against the idea of religon, that's being antitheistic. It has nothing to do with atheism. E.G. Unleashed.

wrong. an atheist has no religion by definition. an agnostic doesn't' claim to know what happened. but if you say it's possible God exists but the chances are so slim it's not even worth considering than you are an atheist/agnostic.

MY INTERESTING PHILOSOPHY

I belive it's possible a God can exist. Actually I know it's possible. we have scientists on earth trying to create life from scratch. If they succeed, how are they anything less than a God? If intersteller explorers roam the galaxy and one of them who happens to be a scientist creates life on a planet, how is that creature not their God?

Scientist say it's even possible with technology to create a universe. what if a being were to use technology to make himself a god? now think there are 500 billion galaxies each with an estimated 500 billion solar systems. Computer simulations suggest that 2 out of 3 solar systems produce planets like earth. There are probably trillions of intelligent civilizations out there. When you take into account how many events are taking place in the universe at this very second anything that can happen probably has happened and will probably happen again.

what are the odds that at some time somewhere in the universe an intellignet being used technoogy to do god like things or make himself a god to a lower people?

very good if you ask me.. in fact it has probably happened millions of times. there are probably millions of beings that fit the definition of a God.
but what are the odds that this is our origin? slim to none. we most likely came into existence through evolution. It's unlikely that one of those gods happend to pick this planet out of the whole universe to do their stuff.

i disagree with leto's definitions aswell. but then i dissagree with your definition of a god. altho if i didn't dissagree with your definition i'd agree with your position.

Spider-Bite said:
very good if you ask me.. in fact it has probably happened millions of times. there are probably millions of beings that fit the definition of a God.

That wouldnt make him "God". "God" by our terms means total omnipotence, unless you are talking about Greek Mythology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"