Is It Okay To Be a Fan of Two Teams (Same League/Organization)?

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
Let me clarifying before somebody messes around and confuses what I am saying. I'm specifically talking about rooting for two teams in the same league or organization. For example, you can be a Seattle Seahawks and a Chicago Bulls fan. That's different. What I'm saying is one being a fan of the New York Yankees and New York Mets or one being a fan of the Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins. I'm also not talking about wanting a team to succeed if your team is out of the playoffs.

So to the question of the thread, is it okay to be a fan of two teams? And I mean a legitimate fan. Why or why not?

Hmm, I want to say yes, but I sense you want to ask if you can "equally" be a fan of two league teams. For me, that kind of takes the fun out of engaging in the highly irrational activity of being a fan of a sports team.

Sure, but when push comes to shove, you have to pick. I'm a Mets fan because of geography, but I've always liked the Oakland A's because when I was a kid they had stars like Canseco, McGwire and Rickey Henderson. When I was in college they had Tim Hudson, Mulder, Zito, etc and I wanted to see them do good. But if they ever played the Mets in a World Series I'm cheering for the Mets no questions asked.

Yes. As an example, say you like one team and you get married and your spouse is a fan of another team. I can definitely see cheering for both in a scenario like that, especially if they are in different leagues/conferences.

See, I have the same line of thinking that Ramsus does but my answer is still no. To be a true fan of two teams is blasphemous to me.

In the NFL, I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. They are my team, no question. My family is from Louisiana. They are all hardcore Saints fans so I like the Saints. It also helps that Payton and Brees are class acts. I am a South Carolina native, so I have a soft spot for the Panthers. I loved Cam Newton throughout his college years as well so that's cool, too.

With that said, I am not a Saints nor a Panthers fan. I like them and would especially root for them if they are playing my team's division rivals but at the end of the day, I am only a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. If the Steelers lose, I get pissed. If they win, I am ecstatic. I keep up with the roster and coaches. I am a Steelers fan.

Hmm, I want to say yes, but I sense you want to ask if you can "equally" be a fan of two league teams. For me, that kind of takes the fun out of engaging in the highly irrational activity of being a fan of a sports team.

I agree. And yes, that is exactly whst I mean.

Yes, yes you can. I can't do it myself, I can barely keep up with one or two teams from different sports altogether.

People watch sports for different reasons. Some fans enjoy the spectacle and root for area teams without a strong attachment to one specific team. In that case, it is possible.

That being said, it's impossible to be an avid fan of two competing teams. I live in ACC country and I know plenty of people who are UVA fans. I wish Virginia well in all sports and sometimes actively root for them....unless they cross paths with Kentucky. I'm a card-carrying member of Big Blue Nation and I would root for the 'Cats if they were playing a team comprised of my neighbors and best friends. Even though I'm no longer in Lexington, my blood is forever blue.

Since Argentina are now joining the super Rugby tournament next I will probably root for their new team (Jaguars) since im living here now ,but I will always support the Sharks (South Africa) as it is my home team.

I was asked if I'd ever date a girl who was a Tech or Auburn fan...

Hell no!

Hell-No-Meme-Gif-13.jpg

Hellz no. Part of being a sports fan is living in the agony of the reality that most seasons end in utter defeat. If you are an Eagles fan and a Pats fan, the chances of you ending the season utterly disappointed is diminished 10 fold and that's just not what being a sports fan is all about. :o

I will say this though, It's OK to admire other teams but not actually root for them.

Example: I am a fan of AJ Green, because he's a Dawg. But I in no way pull for the Bengals just because he's with em.

I don't really relate to cheering for a team in a long term capacity, because I don't know what I'd be cheering for, exactly. Which is part of why I'd rather watch figure skating or ultimate fighting, something where I'm following a single athlete or at most a pair. In that context, it's easy to enjoy watching and cheer for different athletes, while knowing that one will trump another if they go up against each other. When it comes to being a superfan and painting yourself blue and wearing a big foam hand, though, maybe that only works with one team, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"