Is Politics cult like?

Bartman

WCW Champion
Reaction score
Whether you lean left or right, there is a sector of people completely blinded to reality. Avid Trump supporters can't see the cracks in his arguments. Avid Trump detractors are hysterical messes who would blame the weather on him. We have smelly little Antifa loons running around acting like actual Nazi's, the irony being completely lost on them.

What do you think? Politics = Cult?

There's definitely some that act cultish, but there are more that treat politics like a sporting event, which I think is worse in some ways. It downplays the seriousness of politics, can impact your life for the worse even if your side "won", and doesn't support compromise.

Whether you lean left or right, there is a sector of people completely blinded to reality. Avid Trump supporters can't see the cracks in his arguments. Avid Trump detractors are hysterical messes who would blame the weather on him. We have smelly little Antifa loons running around acting like actual Nazi's, the irony being completely lost on them.

The smelly little Antifa loons running around aren't occupying the White House making decisions supportive of Neo-Nazis and White Supremacy. I fail to see how a poorly funded group of anti-fascists (The Horror!) have the slightest resemblance to actual Nazis.

As to the question at hand - Yes, the information age allows us to wall ourselves off from opinions that conflict with our world view and brain wash us into supporting policies actually harmful to our own self interests and our nation as a whole. We're seeing it happen right now.

Last edited:
Is Politics cult like?
:hmm

The smelly little Antifa loons running around aren't occupying the White House making decisions supportive of Neo-Nazis and White Supremacy. I fail to see how a poorly funded group of anti-fascists (The Horror!) have the slightest resemblance to actual Nazis.

Yes. Although, I guess something like that could also fall under the whole sporting events thing, specifically professional wrestling.

Cult like? For some political figures around the world, individuals? Yes. But it's tribal more than cult like when it's all said and done in my view.

You get shunned by by your own people if you are black and conservative. That’s what cults do

You get shunned by by your own people if you are black and conservative. That’s what cults do

Uh... Huh...

And what's happening now in conservative/Libertarian/Evangelical circles to those like Jeff Flake and Bob Corker who rightly oppose Trump and "Trumpism"? How about those that speak out against the rising tide of white nationalist politics? Republicans that are "Pro-Choice" sure do get treated well don't they? I mean, the term RINO is of course a Democratic invention... OH WAIT. :sly:

Also, you know... Maybe people in the Black Community don't think well of "Black Conservatives" given the track record of conservatives when it comes to African-Americans in this country? I mean, the current sitting president literally came to political prominence using a vile, racist lie. So... If someone black wants to go along with that, well... Yeah, some people are going to be in their rights having a not so great opinion of such people. Conservative politicians have used racial demagoguery in this country for at least as long as I've been on God's green Earth so a minimum of 41 years. That you don't get that says it all. Because.... AS USUAL... people like you don't WANT to get it.

Yes, there are definitely some cult like tendencies but I think a destinction needs to be made between the pragmatic cult that has empathy for the disadvantaged and the cult who fights against their own interest and has the empathy of a sociopath.

Exactly, antifa is a fringe group. White nationalist are deciding domestic and global policy.

This isn't 5 years ago where you could sneakily make that false equivalency and get away with it.

TBH anyone who isn't wealthy and votes Republican is voting against their own interest.

Our infrastructure, space programs, wages, healthcare, retirement, environmental protection, education, etc are going to be gutted so people like Paris Hilton and Ivanka Trump can get a tax cut. These people have 90 percent of the wealth while most Americans live check to check.

Then you have the blatant racism and xenophobia. When neonazis and the klan have unprecedented support for your top politician, it's time to re-evaluate your values and ideals.

Maybe, empathy and pragmatism ("the establishment") isn't as bad as you were told.

It does seem that, these days, which ever side of the spectrum you are on, you completely ignore/badmouth the opposite side...
But i don't think that qualifies as a cult.

It's absolutely tribalistic. There are a lot of really awful people on both the left and right and most people know it. Politics sometimes becomes a game of moral superiority by generalizing the whole other side because of the most awful people and then being silent about their own. But I think the extremes are a small minority.

TBH anyone who isn't wealthy and votes Republican is voting against their own interest.

This...is pretty clearly opinion. And half the country doesn't see it that way. Pretty damn dismissive & patronizing of you, no?

XzbPrsT.jpg

SvB0Llv.jpg

NBR5zGN.jpg

Anytime you have a large group of people, you are going to get fringe elements. What I see in today's environment is a man (Trump) who has made it his platform to pander to bigots. They therefore idolize him and will follow no matter what. While I don't see myself as a democrat, I don't see the same from Biden (or even Sanders or Warren). On that side of the aisle, support seems to be more policy based rather than individual based.

Fine people don't associate with Nazis and white supremacists. Good people (albeit angry) don't bring guns to the Michigan state house and later plan to kidnap (or maybe "arrest" depending on whether or not you're a bigot yourself) and put the governor on trial when she's trying to save lives and follow science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"