Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

Discussion in 'Iron Man' started by Gotendbz-2, Sep 28, 2006.

?

Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It's too early to tell

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

He act no doubt, but really now Batman gets Christian Bale, and Iron-man gets..... Robert Downey Junior lol.

2. explode7

explode7 Well-Known Member

C'mon you guys are overacting. I bet this dude will look 20 years younger after movie make up. Heck nearly half the batman boards are hoping that Ledger has some serious movie make up to look like the joker. No different here.

3. lordofthenerds

lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

So your not going to see the movie because of the actor's sexuality? That's one of the most absurd things I've heard on these boards. His sexuality has nothing to do with his acting ability. Not liking the actor because of his acting ability or resemblance to the comic character is one thing, but disliking him because of prejudice feelings is another entirely.

4. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

Dont tell him about Mckellan ;)

5. lordofthenerds

lordofthenerds Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Mckellen is....

not playing Iron Man

:cwink:

6. Eros

Eros Well-Known Member

persoanlly maybe they should of went with a less troubled actor for the role. Downey Junior is a very well kown and talented actor, but hes became a joke for late night shows etc.

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

I think Marvel really blew it on this one. Other than a substance abuse problem, there is nothing remotely about Robert Downey Jr. that resembles Tony Stark.

I have total respect for Downey as an actor, but he is not Tony Stark. I also think because of Downey's troubled past it will probably keep some people who aren't fans of the comic away from the film.

Iron Man is not Spider-man or Wolverine. He's not a character that's going to draw an audience because he is iconic. So having an actor with Downey's trouble with the law is going to keep some of the target audience for this film away. If you don't believe me look at the trouble Tom Cruise has had with Paramount as of late with all his off screen troubles. And those didn't even involve drugs or going to jail.

The character of Tony Stark is complex enough and contraversial on it's own, to add Downey's legal trouble to the mix is recipe for disaster. Iron Man needed to be cast as either a well known respected actor (on and off screen), or an up and coming star.

Now this obviously won't turn me away. I've waited too long to see this film come out, but you can't tell me this won't effect the non-comic book fans, who might otherwise see the film.

8. explode7

I was almost afraid to open your spoiler tags in the event it might be never ending.

9. Kmack

Kmack Cheers!

No, but that's only because I wouldn't settle for anyone else except Tom Cruise:p

10. HighVoltage

HighVoltage Well-Known Member

We need a thread about Robert Downey Junior vs Tom Cruise, who looks better as Tony Stark A.K.A Iron Man?.

11. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

I guess he doesn't see very many movies or TV shows.....or doesn't know a darn thing about Hollywood.

12. AnimeJune

AnimeJune Well-Known Member

Me too, plus, I tend to trust Favreau's choices. I mean - look at my avatar, I've been seriously crushing on Dax Shepard ever since I saw him in Favreau's Zathura.

13. explode7

Favreau made Zathura??? OMG that was movie was a whole lotta crap.

14. WTFimVENOM

WTFimVENOM Well-Known Member

15. explode7

He looks better there with tobey. He does make a good IM/TS.

16. Polomontana

Polomontana Well-Known Member

I think this is a 50/50 shot. Either Jon Favreau will look brilliant at the end of this or he will look like the biggest idiot in Hollywood. Robert Downey Jr. can act, but he doesn't fit Tony Stark. Downey usually plays the sidekick to the playboy types, so this will be a different Tony Stark. It reminds me of when Kevin Smith was gonna do Green Hornet. All kind of crazy ideas were being thrown around. Favreau is taking a risk, because comics to movies work when the character bares some resemblence to the original character and Downey Jr. is way off the mark. Here's some examples:

Tobey Maguire was the right choice for Spider Man because people could see him as Peter Parker.

Christian Bale was great for Batman because people could see him as Bruce Wayne.

Eric Bana was a horrible choice for the Hulk Movie(also, the horrible script didn't help).

Brandon Routh was a bad choice for Superman (I said Tom Welling because people can see him as Clark Kent/Superman).

So, I'm leaning towards disaster because Downey is known for good acting in smaller movies. This is why it's risky, because Iron Man is not known like Batman, Super Man or Spider Man. Everybody knows about Gotham City, Krypton and Peter Parker getting bit by a spider. If you ask someone, who is Tony Stark? There gonna say, isn't that the guy in the Wu Tang Clan.

Oh yeah, if your spending that much money on the movie, Tom Cruise has to be your prototype. He would have elevated Iron Man and you need an actor like that to elevate him into the mind of the masses.

17. muertevilla

muertevilla Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    i can totally see it. i voted yes

18. jaydawg

jaydawg Well-Known Member

Personally I cant see it.

I like Downey, but he's one of the last actors I'd look at and say "Thats Tony Stark."

19. TimDrakeRobin45

TimDrakeRobin45 Well-Known Member

In all honesty RDJ had never crossed my mind and now that i have heard his name and seen his face in cunjunction I am completley excited about it.
    Favs has made a good call on this one. Downey's movie Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was superb and he had a bit of comedy and action in that one so I think he will be perfect for IM. He was awesome in Chaplin.

20. arachnid-guy

arachnid-guy Well-Known Member

Never seen him act.

But i'll check him out....

Seems like a good choice.

21. 7Hells

7Hells Well-Known Member

None of that has stopped directors from casting him in incredibly multi-layered roles.
    Actually I think it will tap into a whole new audience that would have otherwise not even given superhero movies a chance.
    Bleh! Tom Cruise can play one role and the only thing that role has in common with Stark is a perceived cockiness towards women.

22. Bloorstreet

Bloorstreet Guest

He is an excellent choice for Tony Stark and I would add, this is a good example of life imitating art - both have experienced problems in their personal life and have struggled with booze, etc.

I don't see how having Robert Downey Jr. cast as Tony Stark is going to impact whether the movie makes any money - the last time I looked, the days of the Hollywood blockbuster are over. Movie theatres all across North America have experienced a sharp decline in the number of patrons - even movies that one would think were guaranteed to bring in large numbers of patrons (Superman Returns - good movie - didn't meet financial expectations, X3, crappy movie - didn't meet financial expectations) haven't attracted audiences that would rival Spiderman 2 or Jurassic Park.

Downey will be great in this role and the fact that he is middle aged is moot. I think he's the perfect person for what will hopefully be a good flick.

23. OLD FF FAN

OLD FF FAN Well-Known Member

I agree Robert Downey jr perfect for this part, Im a real old Iron man fan since the begining way way back in early 60s and like been said he can really relate to Tony stark life as a drunk and so! I can;t wait for this flick, Being dispointed in what they did with ff movie, Im sure this will be alot better and done well!! So this is one old man comic fan whos excited!!

24. AnimeJune

AnimeJune Well-Known Member

*LOL!* Hotness x 2.

But hey, Polomontana, but to argue with your statement:
    -You haven't SEEN Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark yet. Before people SAW Tobey Maguire perform in Spider-Man, the news at his casting was pretty much a giant "WTF?" Even the studios weren't sure - they wanted Heath Ledger or, god help us, Freddie Prinze Jr for the role.
    -Same thing with the Topher Grace casting - a "WTF?" when he was announced, and then an 80% shift to "WICKED!" when they saw the teaser trailer and the set pics.

Besides - look at it realistically. Boozers can still be hot - but the act of boozing eventually shows on the face. Robert Downey Jr is gorgeous, but I admit he's a little rough-lookin' - but maybe that's what Favreau's going for. Realistally - a Tony Stark who was born with natural hotness, which is slightly corroded by his addiction. Makes sense to me.

EDIT: PS - Zathura was awesome!
    PPS - I would never buy Tom Cruise as Iron Man.

25. James"007"Bond

James"007"Bond Well-Known Member

Its definately promising. All RDJ needs is a slick hair cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.