Is Spider-Man 3 the most disappointing superhero film ever made?

I'd say anyone who found MOS less than good realized that BvS was likely to be underwhelming.
That's true, but I really enjoy Man of Steel as it is and hoped for something at least entertaining with BvS.

Then Ben Affleck spat the opening narration and I was like "You don't say". And more scenes unfolded, making me cry in sorrow and bounce back to rage.
And yet, the Last Stand is still much better than Dark Phoenix.
Yes.

No, not at all, there are far worse out there.
It doesn't have to be the worst to be the most disappointing to anyone. Say like you were more disappointed with Superman III and A Quest For Peace, but decades later you watch something like Blade Trinity or Wolverine: Origins, and think you've seen things that are worse but still don't disappoint you as much because you don't feel the same affinity toward these franchises as you find in movies using your favorite superhero.

It doesn't have to be the worst to be the most disappointing to anyone. Say like you were more disappointed with Superman III and A Quest For Peace, but decades later you watch something like Blade Trinity or Wolverine: Origins, and think you've seen things that are worse but still don't disappoint you as much because you don't feel the same affinity toward these franchises as you find in movies using your favorite superhero.

Okay, there are far more disappointing ones out there.

I'm not sure why people always bring up BvS.

I mean, who expected greatness from it? MoS was already divisive and Zack Snyder is not Sam Raimi, who's a very good filmmaker who worked with low budget and made good genre films.

SM3 is the most disappointing because it's the best director attached to comic book films to phone it.

I consider Nolan overall better than Raimi and Rises to be great, so the only other option would be X-Men: Apocalypse as it ended the trilogy on a poor note.

And yet, the Last Stand is still much better than Dark Phoenix.

Sure, but we're talking about most disappointing. Plenty of people were already over Fox X-Men by the time Dark Phoenix came out, and Apocalypse had already ruined the good will the First Class series had garnered.

TLS was following the immensely popular X2.

I mean, who expected greatness from it?

I agree. Plenty of us on SHH were appropriately cynical about how BvS would turn out. We even had a "BvS skepticism" thread.

WW84

It almost ruined my Christmas that's how much of a letdown it was

I mean, who expected greatness from it? MoS was already divisive and Zack Snyder is not Sam Raimi, who's a very good filmmaker who worked with low budget and made good genre films.

SM3 is the most disappointing because it's the best director attached to comic book films to phone it.

I consider Nolan overall better than Raimi and Rises to be great, so the only other option would be X-Men: Apocalypse as it ended the trilogy on a poor note.

I think the thing with BvS is that, given that it was the first onscreen meeting of two heroes that many consider to be the greatest of all time, it got our hopes up regardless of who was directing it. While Snyder’s track record was spotty at best, I think a lot of us figured that somehow all the people involved wouldn’t let the film turn out to be a mess. We should have known better, but it is what it is. I still was more disappointed in BvS than I was in SM3.

With Batman v. Superman I tempered my expectations as soon as the negative reviews started pouring in. In doing so, once I actually saw it I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews were saying because my expectations were at rock bottom. Of course I didn't think it was good either. The Ultimate Cut was at least an improvement. I think the thing that disappointed me most about BvS was that literally every big spectacle moment in the movie was shown in the trailers. I still think they should have took a page out of Feige's book and kept Wonder Woman's appearance in the final battle a surprise.

Even though MOS was divisive, the trailer showing a live action shot of DKR was enough to pique my interest.

No but it was a disappoinment at the time especially coming off Spider-Man 2.

Justice League, Superman returns, BvS, and MOS are much more disappointing than Spidey 3 to me.
Ah yes, Superman Returns. That might have been even more disappointing than X-Men: The Last Stand in the summer of 2006 because it was the first Superman film in nearly 20 years and all he did was play catch and stalk his ex. :o

It almost feels like sometimes when these filmmakers try to tackle the most iconic stories from these properties and buckle under the pressure and drop the ball.

Xmen: The Last Stand tackled the coveted Phoenix saga: blew it. (And then did it AGAIN two years ago!)

Spiderman 3 tackled the classic black suit storyline and Spidey’s most popular villain: blew it.

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer tackled one of the coolest comic characters and one of the (literally) BIGGEST Marvel threats ever created: completely shat the bed.

For a while it was almost exhausting how these filmmakers just couldnt deliver on these ambitious concepts until Feige stepped in.

It almost feels like sometimes when these filmmakers try to tackle the most iconic stories from these properties and buckle under the pressure and drop the ball.

Xmen: The Last Stand tackled the coveted Phoenix saga: blew it. (And then did it AGAIN two years ago!)

Spiderman 3 tackled the classic black suit storyline and Spidey’s most popular villain: blew it.

Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer tackled one of the coolest comic characters and one of the (literally) BIGGEST Marvel threats ever created: completely shat the bed.

For a while it was almost exhausting how these filmmakers just couldnt deliver on these ambitious concepts until Feige stepped in.

I like Silver Surfer way better than any of the other FF movies. That's admittedly not saying much, of course.

I think the thing with BvS is that, given that it was the first onscreen meeting of two heroes that many consider to be the greatest of all time, it got our hopes up regardless of who was directing it. While Snyder’s track record was spotty at best, I think a lot of us figured that somehow all the people involved wouldn’t let the film turn out to be a mess. We should have known better, but it is what it is. I still was more disappointed in BvS than I was in SM3.

I do understand that the hype was more about the subject itself than the film, and yeah the writer, cinematographer and composer are top class.

I'll give another watch to Snyder's stuff in the future, but for me what matters is the previous film to build expectations and since both Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 delivered, the third one was really disappointing for many people, including me.

Disappointment basically stems from the ratio of expectations to overall quality. Expecting something great out of BvS after Snyder's lukewarm approach to Superman in Man of Steel is like expecting much of Simon Kinberg in Dark Phoenix, unlike Apocalypse which is amongst my personal two most disappointing superhero movies, with the other being Endgame. Spider-Man 3 is relatively far from those, as there are many things I still enjoy.

And what's funny is that Feige was there for all three of those as an executive producer. Since he didn't have much creative control (if at all) back then, I'm sure he just took notes on how not to adapt iconic storylines from the comics for film.

Nope not at all. The only reason people mainly hated it is the emo peter parker scene calling it "cringe" when it was meant to be cringe. People will find the slightest mistake or cringe moment and call the movie a failure. Yes it was not the best spiderman movie because theres so many plot points but even so, the movie handled it in a way that is acceptable. Calling it the worst superhero movie is a stretch and if someone says that, than they haven't seen any other superhero movie to make a good point.

Between BvS and Rise of Skywalker, I’m now convinced that Chris Terrio killed the real guy who wrote Argo and turned in his script as his own.

I'm going to be honest and risk the wrath of the community, but I didn't love Argo either. It was fine, but I felt it was very Hollywoody for a lack of a better word. I was never able to really get engrossed in the world as presented, but always felt like I was watching a dramatized version of it. By comparison, I thought Zero Dark Thirty was much better.

Anyways, the answer is no, not even close. Spider-Man 3 isn't bad, just not up to the standards of the first two. I would still call it okay, even with its issues. I was far more disappointed in TASM2. The previous summer had TWO more disappointing superhero films than SM3 in X-Men: The Last Stand and Superman Returns. So even at the time, the crown didn't belong to SM3 by any stretch.

But the REIGNING AND DEFENDING CHAMPION is Batman v Superman. First time we get Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on screen together and it is that piece of crap? I didn't even hate Man of Steel either. I didn't love it, but it was okay and I thought set up the future well. But, oh boy, did they fumble the ball on BvS. So much so that I was expecting nothing (and got nothing) for Justice League.

I'm going to be honest and risk the wrath of the community, but I didn't love Argo either. It was fine, but I felt it was very Hollywoody for a lack of a better word. I was never able to really get engrossed in the world as presented, but always felt like I was watching a dramatized version of it. By comparison, I thought Zero Dark Thirty was much better.

Anyways, the answer is no, not even close. Spider-Man 3 isn't bad, just not up to the standards of the first two. I would still call it okay, even with its issues. I was far more disappointed in TASM2. The previous summer had TWO more disappointing superhero films than SM3 in X-Men: The Last Stand and Superman Returns. So even at the time, the crown didn't belong to SM3 by any stretch.

But the REIGNING AND DEFENDING CHAMPION is Batman v Superman. First time we get Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on screen together and it is that piece of crap? I didn't even hate Man of Steel either. I didn't love it, but it was okay and I thought set up the future well. But, oh boy, did they fumble the ball on BvS. So much so that I was expecting nothing (and got nothing) for Justice League.

I agree with you on Argo. I liked it but I was pretty shocked when it won Best Picture. I mean… really? I kinda chalked it up to Hollywood being so in love with itself that OF COURSE they would laud a film about movie producers faking a production for a CIA operation. Not that the story wasn’t interesting but I feel like if the film had been just as good but based on any number of other CIA operations that didn’t have the movie angle, it would have been ignored during awards season.

I agree with you on Argo. I liked it but I was pretty shocked when it won Best Picture. I mean… really? I kinda chalked it up to Hollywood being so in love with itself that OF COURSE they would laud a film about movie producers faking a production for a CIA operation. Not that the story wasn’t interesting but I feel like if the film had been just as good but based on any number of other CIA operations that didn’t have the movie angle, it would have been ignored during awards season.
I liked Argo but I haven't seen it since it was in theaters unlike quite a few of the other Best Picture nominees that year. I enjoyed it enough and even though it's better than some other BP winners of the past decade like Green Book there were at least two or three from that year that were more deserving. I think it won because of vote splitting since it was a pretty stacked year.

For me, it's fan4stic.
That movie was on fire many moons before its release, and by fire I mean it was better off to abandon that garbage than release it. But I understand it if you felt optimistic about it coming from the director of Chronicle and was not following production news and behind the scenes chaos.

Even with everything the MCU has done, I'd still go in with trepidation with the 3rd "reboot" of FF.

To this day, I still haven't watched Fant4stic even though it's been on Disney+ for over a year now. I remember Michael B. Jordan's response to criticism about him being Johnny Storm saying, "They're still gonna see it anyway." Oh, MBJ. People didn't see it but it wasn't for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• Lily Adler
    🔥🍨Getting hot scoops🍨🔥 (she/her)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"