is spider-man losing his marketability?

No, I don't think so. He's been around for years, and is at the level of popularity that Superman and Batman hold. He has too much appeal (balancing life, struggling to pay the bills, mystery behind the mask, cool powers) to not sustain marketability.

so if he still has such a strong selling point, why do you guys think he's being relegated to the background more often and wolverine is the one up front?

This is the most obviously not-obvious yet still obvious thread on SHH.

Truth is on his own ASM did 760m WW. Now IM3 may beat that total but only on the back of an event movie that contained several characters. Spidey has his own cartoon, his own play that despite negative reviews that broke records and no question about it if there was a live action Tv series it would break viewing records. So how exactly has Spidey's marketability suffered?

I think Spideys lost some of his popularity. His new flick was nothing special, The Ultimate Spidey cartoon is horrible and his video games havent been anything great or new either imo. Its all just been kinda lame, mediocre or been there done that. The Marvel films are kinda responsible for giving a new expecation in terms of things and Spideys not really up to those standards right now. He still real popular but he is losing some steam.

Comic wise Its been alright, def got my attention back. Still seems Avengers and X Men are front and center for Marvel at least imo though. The films matter too much for awareness nowadays. ASM2 needs to be real good for him to compete with Bats and The Avengers again.

Last edited:
Yes, but its easily remedied. It starts with ASM2 and getting rid of USM on XD.

Spidey is still highly marketable.

It's just that everything that's gone to market with his name on it in the past 2 years has sucked a bag of baboon-balls

I think Spideys lost some of his popularity. His new flick was nothing special, The Ultimate Spidey cartoon is horrible and his video games havent been anything great or new either imo. Its all just been kinda lame, mediocre or been there done that. The Marvel films are kinda responsible for giving a new expecation in terms of things and Spideys not really up to those standards right now. He still real popular but he is losing some steam.

Comic wise Its been alright, def got my attention back. Still seems Avengers and X Men are front and center for Marvel at least imo though. The films matter too much for awareness nowadays. ASM2 needs to be real good for him to compete with Bats and The Avengers again.

You're talking about the quality of the material not his marketability.

Spidey is still highly marketable.

It's just that everything that's gone to market with his name on it in the past 2 years has sucked a bag of baboon-balls

And it still sells.

ASM - 760m (and despite what some people would have you believe is a huge sum of money)

Ultimate SM - Great numbers for Disney XD

Turn off the Dark - Broadway box office records broken

Yeahhh, but Turn off the Dark only did so well because it was a train wreck

It could've been a one man show staring Hogun the Grimm, and with that kind of negative hype, it still would've broken records

but agreed that spidey still knows how to rake in the cash, his rep amongst the fanboys has just taken a bit of a hit

I figured it'd be incredibly obvious that I was being sarcastic.

puUgRCf.png

The idea of having Otto take over as Spiderman was interesting for awhile but it has been going on too long. They need to bring Peter back and soon.

The idea of having Otto take over as Spiderman was interesting for awhile but it has been going on too long. They need to bring Peter back and soon.

I don't believe so... looks like the end is just around the corner, and the length of time seems right...

These kinds of opportunities will only happeb ONCE in a hero's lifetime... if someone else down the road tries this trick, it'll be a copycat of this... so why oh why if you were a writer, and you had this very unique opportunity to write an arch-enemie's mind in your hero's body, why would you want to wrap this up in 3 to 6 months?

It's impossible... same with the unmasking... we had so many more opportunities to explore with that concept, and Marvel shut the door within 6 to 8 months... and a public unmasking will NEVER happen again... at least, not in our lifetimes...

Peter will be back somehow around April or May... so hang onto your panties and enjoy the ride.

I am. (enjoying the ride AND hanging onto my panties) :yay:

I don't believe so... looks like the end is just around the corner, and the length of time seems right...

These kinds of opportunities will only happeb ONCE in a hero's lifetime... if someone else down the road tries this trick, it'll be a copycat of this... so why oh why if you were a writer, and you had this very unique opportunity to write an arch-enemie's mind in your hero's body, why would you want to wrap this up in 3 to 6 months?

It's impossible... same with the unmasking... we had so many more opportunities to explore with that concept, and Marvel shut the door within 6 to 8 months... and a public unmasking will NEVER happen again... at least, not in our lifetimes...

Peter will be back somehow around April or May... so hang onto your panties and enjoy the ride.

I am. (enjoying the ride AND hanging onto my panties) :yay:

I did see that after posting this. I guess March is it, thankfully. It was a good idea but I think it went on a bit too long. Maybe not 6 to 9 months but it's been over a year now. I would have rather they bump up production and get more issues out rather than drag it on. It's possible they could have done more with it, but after the first 6-8 issues or so I really didn't think they were telling us anything different/new. It got to the point I thought I was reading the Punisher. Now for when they do the switch, I hope they also bring Ock back (as he was).

I think it's more that the Avengers-related characters (cap, ironman, thor, hulk) are finally getting their time in the sun after all this time and Marvel's taking advantage. Spidey will always be Marvel's #1.

not anymore. since sony doesn't want to play nice and place spidey in the mcu, his popularity has gone down drastically and he's fallen into the background. iron man is definitely marvel's #1 now.

look at this, iron man 3 is the highest grossing marvel's solo superhero flick ain't it?

It's only been a year.

Look at the old stories that are similar to this one:

Knightfall
Death and Return of Superman
Heroes Reborn
Death of Cap

They were all 1-2 years.

It's only been a year.

Look at the old stories that are similar to this one:

Knightfall
Death and Return of Superman
Heroes Reborn
Death of Cap

They were all 1-2 years.

Those stories were much better written than Slott's story. At least that was the general consensus, so people didn't mind them being a bit longer.

spiderman needs to be seen in the mcu. that'd definitely pump up his comic book marketability

Those stories were much better written than Slott's story. At least that was the general consensus, so people didn't mind them being a bit longer.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's been one of the top selling Marvel books for a while.

The year old thread got the needed answers explaining the MCU popularity and stuff

After a disappointing box office record compared to his previous movies, and how the Dark Knight broke a billion and this one didn't, maybe, just maybe, he is losing his marketability

Last edited:
But TASM was just such a baaaaaaaaaaad movie... :dry:

:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"