Superman Returns Is there a chance the Hommage will bite SR in the ass?

Oldguy said:
What is wrong with you, skruloos? Is your reading comprehension impaired or are you deliberatly trying to put words in my mouth? I clearly never stated what you accuse me of, so which is it?
Fine. Less. I exaggerated what you said. Big whoop. You are saying that comparisons could have been easily avoided by a restart. Doesn't that imply that you think a restart would avoid comparisons?

Either way, I don't think comparisons could have been avoided at all. It would have plagued Singer regardless of what direction he took.

skruloos said:
Fine. Less. I exaggerated what you said. Big whoop. You are saying that comparisons could have been easily avoided by a restart. Doesn't that imply that you think a restart would avoid comparisons?

Either way, I don't think comparisons could have been avoided at all. It would have plagued Singer regardless of what direction he took.

Exactly. Old Guy is the epitome of the Catch-22. If Singer would have restarted, Old Guy would be on here whining about how Singer is trying to compete with the perfect Reeve's origin and blah blah blah blah...

Old Guy is just that, a grumpy, old, miserable man who just needs something to whine about. Ignore him and let him.

skruloos said:

It is big whoop, you do it all the time. If you aren't going to bother to comprehend what I say before you respond, then don't bother.

Whether or not to what degree people would draw comparisons is a tangent that came up when discussing the real issue at hand. Will the hommage backfire? You think, no it won't because...people would have compared it to StM anyways.

Surely you can express yourself without reinturpreting what I said.

bosef982 said:
Exactly. Old Guy is the epitome of the Catch-22. If Singer would have restarted, Old Guy would be on here whining about how Singer is trying to compete with the perfect Reeve's origin and blah blah blah blah...
Prove it. Prove your bull**** claims, fool. Show me the documented evidence from your mind reading/parallel universe viewing omnomicronitron.
bosef982 said:
Old Guy is just that, a grumpy, old, miserable man who just needs something to whine about. Ignore him and let him.
OMG, nothing would make my day more complete than you putting me on ignore. :O

Oldguy said:
It is big whoop, you do it all the time. If you aren't going to bother to comprehend what I say before you respond, then don't bother.
Then it would help if you didn't contradict yourself in one sentence. You say that it's inevitable but that it could be easily avoided. Which is it?

skruloos said:
Then it would help if you didn't contradict yourself in one sentence. You say that it's inevitable but that it could be easily avoided. Which is it?

I think the inevitable comparison to Reeve would have been easier avoided with an original restart.

It's easier to avoid comparing Dean Cain to Chris Reeve, because of the lack of similarities between their respective continuities. Does that elaboration clear things up? If you're unsure next time, feel free to ask.

Reeve was not Superman, Reeve played Superman, terrifically.

It is not his Fortress of Solitude, or his suit, or his father, it is Superman's.

Superman has had these things before Reeve, Caine, Routh, Welling, and everyother actor that has portrayed him, and will continue to have these things after these actors have passed.

It was not sacrelidge to have Bale don the cape and cowl, or to have Caine wear Alfred's tux, was it?

The characters will always outlive the actors. All we can do is aprieciate and respect what the actros contribute to the characters.

-R

Oldguy said:
When I first saw the season opener of SV with the Donner FoS, I was surprised by how upset I was to see TW in Reeve's FoS. It felt sacriligeous, like they were attempting to retcon Reeve out. Brando's VO in the teaser makes me feel the same way, that's not the son he sent to Earth. I could see critics tearing SR a new one for doing this.

Do you think there is a chance that this sense of loyalty to Reeve may work against SR's Donner Hommage?

It'll depend. I doubt anyone of this generation will really care about the hommage or notice it at all, in terms of general public. Critics, you never know. People of your generation, it'll be a mixed bag.

In the end, it's all about the story.

Oldguy said:
It's easier to avoid comparing Dean Cain to Chris Reeve, because of the lack of similarities between their respective continuities. Does that elaboration clear things up? If you're unsure next time, feel free to ask.
I don't think that's true. I think that people DID compare Cain to Reeve, just as people DID compare Welling to Reeve when Smallville first premiered.

skruloos said:
I don't think that's true. I think that people DID compare Cain to Reeve, just as people DID compare Welling to Reeve when Smallville first premiered.

Again, I never said they didn't, I said it's easier to ignore the comparison. Why compare Cain to Reeve, apples and oranges. Routh and Reeve physically look the same, and they have the same fictional dad, Krypton design, and Donner continuity.

People will like the familiarity, resent it, or not care. That's what we're talking about here. You think people will like it, I get it. Voice your opinion without distorting mine.

The Sage said:
It'll depend. I doubt anyone of this generation will really care about the hommage or notice it at all, in terms of general public. Critics, you never know. People of your generation, it'll be a mixed bag.

In the end, it's all about the story.

Very true, it is indeed all about the story. Insightful and objective as usual. The Sage indeed.:up:

Have a good week end, man it's gonna be a long wait for All Star #12 eh?

Oldguy said:
Again, I never said they didn't, I said it's easier to ignore the comparison. Why compare Cain to Reeve, apples and oranges.
Because people will do as they will and compare it. No matter what they do, they'll compare it. You say that such comparisons could have been avoided easier. Why? Because you see it as convenient? I've heard way too many comparisons between way too many movies to believe that a restart would actually alleviate such comparisons.

Oldguy said:
Very true, it is indeed all about the story. Insightful and objective as usual. The Sage indeed.:up:

Have a good week end, man it's gonna be a long wait for All Star #12 eh?

Oh heck yes. I loved it. It was absolutely perfect.

Oldguy said:
When I first saw the season opener of SV with the Donner FoS, I was surprised by how upset I was to see TW in Reeve's FoS. It felt sacriligeous, like they were attempting to retcon Reeve out. Brando's VO in the teaser makes me feel the same way, that's not the son he sent to Earth. I could see critics tearing SR a new one for doing this.

Do you think there is a chance that this sense of loyalty to Reeve may work against SR's Donner Hommage?
weell, it's all depend on routh's performance.

Oldguy said:

Oldguy said:
Donner's movie is Reeve's continuity, its Reeve's FoS, and Reeve's dead father. Get it yet?

I personally don't like all the connections to the Reeve movies myself, and it's one of my biggest complaints because I do feel like it's sacriligeous to recast Reeve in his role.

Now if it had been a total restart then most people probably wouldn't be complaining as much.

I don't care much about the design in the FOS that's not important it's the storyline that bugs me.

But it's to late now the movie's almost done shooting, and will be out in a few months so now if it turns out bad it's on the WB's heads, and Singer will be the one to pay the price... Remember Joel Schumacher, and his bat nipples? :)

They could have used the same type of look to the movie as the donner movie's if like as a way to pay tribute to those movies without it being a sequel, once Singer said "Vague sequel" that pretty much put the final nail in the coffin.

Now if the movie sucks the coffin will be shut, and if the movie turns out a masterpiece then all fanboys will have to swollow that, and live with this movie as the new Superman movie.

Oldguy said:
What is wrong with you, skruloos? Is your reading comprehension impaired or are you deliberatly trying to put words in my mouth? I clearly never stated what you accuse me of, so which is it?

I'm not exactly sure why some are having a hard time understanding you Oldguy. I see what you are saying but I dont think it will bite the movie in the ass. Yeah there may be some backlash but I think for the most part people will recognize what singer is trying to do. Friends of mine that liked the 78 movie yet arent quite Superman fans seem to think it's sorta cool. Actual fans are another question. One I can't answer.

davejames said:
From the very start Singer decided to do his OWN interpretation of Superman, apart from the comics, Smallville, or earlier movies.

If what you're saying is true, why are the writers of the show and the movie discussing intertwining plot details?

And if Superman Returns has nothing to do with the earlier movies, why is Marlon Brando still Jor-El? And what's all this "rough history" I keep hearing about in relation to the first two Donner movies?

The show and old movies intertwine, just not very well.

If they'd done it the way I suggested, the show and movie would have gelled a lot better without all this confusion about what's canon and what's not.

skruloos said:
Fortress of Solitude?
Thanks.

I think having the same FoS is a good idea. Keeping a unified vision will help non-fans avoid confusion.

Oldguy said:
your mind reading/parallel universe viewing omnomicronitron.

WOW:eek: what is that ?

As for the topic,it might,i need to see more,i think there is a definite case that some critics may well see SR as very unimaginative and the fact it is attempting to gel itself to the Reeve starring movies makes Routh's Job harder as some will see him as a continuation of a man he can't hope to match up to.

After the lackluster response the crowd at HP4 gave the SR trailer, I don't think relying on Donner was any guarentee to win over the casual fan.

Oldguys starting to get really crusty of late...

He is?? He seems to actually be thinking things through unlike a lot of people on here.

Oldguy said:
After the lackluster response the crowd at HP4 gave the SR trailer, I don't think relying on Donner was any guarentee to win over the casual fan.

Thing is, most kids today don't really care about the Donner film. Sure, they've probably caught it on AMC or USA on a Saturday afternoon but its old to them. So if the promotion on this movie is thinking that nostalgia for the original movie will motivate the general movie audience to see the movie then I think they are mistaken. I'm sure they're monitoring the crowd reactions to the teaser trailer and might possibly take the tried and true popcorn flick approach for the main trailer (like what BB did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"