Is Thor the best Marvel Studios movie so far?

Discussion in 'Thor' started by antonydelfini, May 3, 2011.

?

Which Marvel Studios movie is the best?

1. THOR

2. THE INCREDIBLE HULK

3. IRON MAN

4. IRON MAN 2

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

Not really.

As someone who was here when both those movies dropped, both got a lot of love then, and a lot of love now, which is a testament to how good those movies are in comparison to movies that get love when they come out but then are bashed. Not all of us think the newest thing out is the "greatest thing ever". If anything, this thread in particular has fan bias AGAINST SM2 and X2.

2. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I didn't say it did :word:

It's better than X2 in my opinion, it also had alot more to accomplished in it's first film than significantly more "grounded" likes X-Men 1 and Spider-Man 1.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. The Batman

No offense, but "accomplishing more" in a movie dosent make it better or worse, neither does being more or less grounded. Superman 1 told three different stories with three different settings in one flick, and most fanboys here would still bash it. And obviously, I disagree with it being better than X2.

4. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Once again, I didn't say it did, but it is an important factor when comparing films. That's only one aspect, but I think it's a good deal better than those two films period.

5. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Nice to see all the bias against the non marvel studios films here

X men 2 and Spiderman 2 have become overrated overnight

Well IMO X2 and Spiderman 2 are still better than the Marvel studios films but only just

6. R_Hythlodeus

R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

not overnight. they always were a little overrated. I just came apparent when Marvel Studios made their own movies and raised the bar for Marvel adaptations

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

You were actually the one that stated an opinion as fact. There are tons of people who disagree with you, that's all I am pointing out.

8. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I think SM2 and IM1 are the only overrated Marvel films is they're both great, but not the masterpieces their fans make them out to be.

If I had to rank ALL Marvel films the best would go:

1. Spider-Man 2: 9.5/10
    2. Spider-Man: 9/10
    3. Iron Man: 8.5/10
    4. X2: 8.5/10
    5. X-Men: 8/10

The rest, other than Thor (which I left out to round out at 5), are not all that good or downright suck, in my opinion.

9. The Batman

"I didnt say accomplishing more in a movie or how grounded a movie is makes things better or worse...except when i cite them as a reason for why some movies are better or worse than others."

"I didnt say Thor 2 had anything to do with comparisons between Thor 1 and SM2 and X2....except for when I brought up how Thor 2 could be as epic as SM2 and X2 while debating Thor 1 vs X2 and SM2"

Dosent really make much sense, to be honest. Frankly, it dosent matter whether a sequel is compared to the first film or not. once again, sometimes the first film is better than the second, like Iron Man 1 compared to Iron Man 2. Sometimes the sequel is better, like Spider-Man 2 compared to Spider-Man 1.

10. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Nice to see not everyone is bias against non marvel studio films

11. Tony Stark

Now that is flat out incorrect, and you can go back and read my posts from then. At the time I thought SM2 was a masterpiece and was far superior to the first movie, which I also thought was very good.

I have both Spider-man 2 and X2 in my best comic book movies catagory and best marvel films, and you can go look.

That doesn't change the fact that X2 was really nothing more than an apology that the first film was a notch above a B-movie.

You have to view each of these movies in the time that they were made. I like the first X-men movie, even though it looks like a low budget B-flick by comparison to a movie like Thor. I give it credit because it really relaunched the comic book movie craze that's been going on ever since. I thought given the budget, they did some smart things in that movie, and it is entertaining.

Iron Man when it came out pushed the bar. It was very different from the standard fair and even the critics saw that. Superhero movies were mostly escapism, but Iron Man was dealing with issues that were very much on the front page of the times, WMD and terrorism.

12. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

After the initial opening of X2 & SM2 wore off(say, 2-3 years after release) then many people here on the hype started looking at them with a much more critical eye and they indeed lost quite a bit of the luster they enjoyed when they were first released. Gestalt wears off after a while.

13. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I was just stating it as ONE of the things Thor had going for it that the other two didn't, you're took it ENTIRELY out of context.

No, I said it could be epic, I didn't say "it could be as epic as X2 and SM2"...I was just stating a possibility, I was not "comparing" anything.

Makes perfect sense to me :woot:

Calm down, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion

*shrugs*

14. The Batman

LMAO:

"You were actually the one that stated an opinion as fact. There are tons of people who disagree with you, that's all I am pointing out"

"You were actually the one that stated an opinion as fact.There are tons of people who disagree with you, that's all I am pointing out"

Stop being a hypocrite. What I posted has no different a tone than your responses to other people in this thread. And I doubt you'd actually admit that you "State opinions as fact", so dont call a tea kettle black when you're the pot.

15. Tony Stark

Not that I think RT should be the end all debate, but just as a comparison:

X2 Critics: 88% 7.4/10 Top Critics: 83% 6.9/10 Fan ratings: 84% 3.7/5

SM2 Critics 93% 8.2/10 Top Critics: 95% 8.1/10 Fan ratings: 81% 3.5/5

SM1 Critics 89% 7.6/10 Top Critics: 83% 7.1/10 Fan ratings: 65% 3.3/5

IM1 Critics: 94% 7.6/10 Top Critics: 93% 7.6/10 Fan ratings: 91% 4.2/5

Thor Critics: 79% 6.7/10 Top Critics: 66% 6.5./10 Fan ratings: 83% 4/5

16. Tony Stark

I'm not getting into a flame war with you. You did this last year as well.

I should also point out to others that you were the one that right after SM2 was released went on the SM forums and said a year in advance that Batman Begins was going to blow SM2 out of the water and would be better than it could ever hope to be.

You're pretty lucky they didn't archive those old posts.

17. The Batman

Not really. If you're using that as a detail that makes SM or XM less better than Thor, than my statement still stands. It dosent matter if its the main reason or just one.

Ok.

I'm calm.

18. The Batman

What, defended myself when you came in trying to bash me? If you didnt want me to respond to you then or now, dont address me....especially with BS like "you post your opinion as fact", when YOU'RE the one who does it to other people. Notice that I did not address you in this thread until you responded to me, so stop trying to make me look like some troll.

See, I dont remember making a post like that, and its funny that you bring that up, yet have no proof that i actually said it, though its possible i may've. Even still...what does that have to do with this thread?

19. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

The same will happen to the marvel studio movies right? or will the bias not let that happen

20. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

possibly. In such matters, time is the only true test.

21. Tony Stark

That's how you defend yourself? Try having a conversation with someone. You came in here to bash Thor. OK fine, but you don't come in here and expect people to not respond to that, who did like the movie.

And yeah you did make that post, wheather you remember it or not. When you write stuff like that you do make a reputation for yourself. Anyway that was 7 years ago, so no need to rehash all that.

22. Tony Stark

The truth is, 90% of movies made, do not stand the test of time. I still like Rami's Spider-man films, even Spider-man 3 to some extent, it's just a little flawed that's all. I could say the same of the Superman movies, execpt I cannot watch 3 and 4, just like I can't watch Batman Returns, Forever, and Batman and Robin. Those movies are jokes and can't be taken seriously.

I'm glad Raimi made those films and same for Singer and the X-men films. I don't think they are near as good as Iron Man, but at least SM2 and X2 are probably better than TIH, although I enjoy TIH much more.

In general I think the Marvel Studios movies have had better acting, and have been taken more seriously than the other Marvel films made by partner studios.

I'm very much looking forward to X-men first class, and think it could be one of the best X-men films, however they also may have gone to the well one too many times. We'll see.

23. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

What you just described is they lost their "newness." So has IM1 and TIH. One day Thor will lose it too. It probably doesn't help that most people on this board watch these films way more than intended. They're mean to be broad entertainments. Sometimes they are made sharply and intelligently by filmmakers who want to make a good movie (Sam Raimi, Bryan Singer, Jon Favreau, Kenneth Branagh), but with the exception of Christopher Nolan, few have attempted to make thematically dense cinema. In short: watching something like X2, Spider-Man 2 or Thor a lot leads to tedious predictability because they're not films meant for you to gain something with each viewing. The're meant to excite and impress on first and second viewing...not 20th.

In that context, Thor will fall to the same fate as you said of SM2 and X2. But the first two Raimi and Singer efforts hold up as very good movies. That is not hte case for half of Marvel Studio's efforts (TIH and IM2), while the other half I feel have glaring weaknesses on their first viewings. Iron Man is a boring film to me these days. I just don't watch it a lot and can keep my high opinion of it succeeding at what it aimed to be....a fun escapist popcorn movie. A good one. Albeit, SM2 (and, imo, SM1) did it better.

24. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

My comment still stands as well, that is an aspect that should be taken into consideration when comparing films.

25. The Batman

I don't think you understand.

My problem is not that I dont want conversation. I've talked to BigThor on the subject of Thor in comparison to other marvel films.

My problem is that I do not want to talk to you. My flippant response to you is based on the fact that every time we do have a conversation, it does not end well, not to mention your responses to other people in this thread when they say something you disagree with. You may think its appropriate, I do not. You said something about reputation...well, it's just as fitting for you as it is for me.

"You're trying to bash Thor!" Is exactly what I'm talking about. I gave this movie an 8/10 in the review thread. But now cause I'm not saying its "great", I'm trying to bash it? This is why I do not wish to deal with you. Also, if someone like C. Lee came in and said I made a post 7 years ago about BB and SM2, I would believe him wholeheartedly. You, I do not believe, as this is just another attempt to discredit me. Again, reputation. And its not that I dont want to have dialogue. If that were true, I wouldnt respond to BigThor at all. I just don't want to have conversation with you, simple as that. Now, I will apologize for my first response to you. I should've just ignored you to begin with.