Is Trump a 2 termer?

Americans do seem pretty inclined to give a president a second term if they haven't done terribly (specifically with regard to the economy). And/or the opposition party tends to nominate a bad candidate against an incumbent.

Americans do seem pretty inclined to give a president a second term if they haven't done terribly (specifically with regard to the economy). And/or the opposition party tends to nominate a bad candidate against an incumbent.

True dat. Bush Sr, iirc has been the only recent One term president, cause of bad policies..

I think Trump will get reelected just because of how inept the idiot Dems are, but he is seriously hated (and also seriously worshipped). There is no "meh" response to Trump.

That said, 2020 is a long ways away and you never know who might run and catch fire on the Democratic side. If there is a blue wave in November, the Democrats will smell blood and maybe we will get rid of Trump.

Regardless, if there ever is a government again that is not an alt-right gangster enterprise, the powers of the Presidency and the executive branch need to be seriously reigned in. We really need a new Republic, but that's not happening.

Hopefully the countries of the free world are doing what they can to get themselves away from America's insane and dangerous influence.

the powers of the Presidency and the executive branch need to be seriously reigned in. We really need a new Republic, but that's not happening.

In what manner do you think the executive branch is abusing/overusing its powers??

Obama sure did, in making EOs he KNEW were illegal, or already had lower courts tell him 'don't do it'..
So far, every time a lower court has told trump no, he's gone back to the drawing board..

LMAO, Trump has gone back to the drawing board to simply change the language of the EO, not the intent.

So, let's see.....this makes Obama wrong, and Trump wrong and a hypocrite.....ok, yeah, I can agree with that.

And the courts seem to be aware of it as well.

The thing is, Obama's overreach (not legally, but the spirit of the thing) with the executives sets a precedent. It becomes acceptable for all future presidents to lean into EOs as a way of getting **** done too.

Meaning nothing's stable or longterm, it can just be overturned by the next guy quick-smart, and likely will be. Not sure we can get too up in arms with the EOs from Trump (the content of them, sure, but not the fact he's using it as a tactic). The next Democrat's just going to overturn it all anyway, and the next Republican after them will overturn theirs en masse too. Just the way it's going to be, going forward.

I assume the next Dem president isn't going to be as obsessed with ruining a man's legacy as Trump is. Of course, that depends on the state of the country he leaves it in.

As of now I think he either gets reelected by a greater margin or doesn't make it to 2020 at all.

LMAO, Trump has gone back to the drawing board to simply change the language of the EO, not the intent.

So, let's see.....this makes Obama wrong, and Trump wrong and a hypocrite.....ok, yeah, I can agree with that.

BUT how is trump wrong?? Does or does not the constitution allow the president the RIGHT and responsibility, to decide who can and cannot come in the country?
YES OR NO???

IF YES< then how is it wrong for him to actually USE THAT LAW?

He is not allowed to decide on the basis of religion. That is law. That is why his attempts at muslims bans have failed in court. Because he pretty much poisoned the well by declaring that was what he was doing.

The thing is, Obama's overreach (not legally, but the spirit of the thing) with the executives sets a precedent. It becomes acceptable for all future presidents to lean into EOs as a way of getting **** done too.

Meaning nothing's stable or longterm, it can just be overturned by the next guy quick-smart, and likely will be. Not sure we can get too up in arms with the EOs from Trump (the content of them, sure, but not the fact he's using it as a tactic). The next Democrat's just going to overturn it all anyway, and the next Republican after them will overturn theirs en masse too. Just the way it's going to be, going forward.

Don't blame it on Obama.....

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

Actually, that's pretty interesting. The Bush Jr stuff kind of makes sense, climate the country was in at the time (it's still high though), but didn't realise Bubba was so trigger-happy with them.

Trump being Trump, you sort of expect it from, but looks like it's all recent presidents kicking this up further than the historical norm. Cool, happy to concede that. Still a troubling trend in a large sense.

Don't blame it on Obama.....

Why not. It was not just kosher, but all the rage to blame it all on bush for YEARS after Obama got into office... So why not blame all the bad on Obama, now trump's in office?

who knows. he might be. He might not be. we just don't know yet. I don't want him to be, though. One year is obscene enough.

Trump could end up very much like Berlusconi, despised by the left & internationally and not liked very much by anyone but remaining in office/still winning electorally because the opponents are even less popular.

Considering he is hell bent on screwing with the economy, I wouldn't bet on him remaining popular.

Considering he is hell bent on screwing with the economy, I wouldn't bet on him remaining popular.

Don't yell too much about the Steel and Aluminum Tariffs, that is straight out of the Dems play book...... ;) That is why is base is so weird....you have the right wing Evangelicals, the Nativists, and those that are all "well he has good economic ideas, I'm Conservative when it comes to the economy...." and then they fall head over heels for him as he threw out Democratic talking points when it came to pushing back on the trade deficit. *shakes head" so honestly, the only people that are going to get pissed at him are the Republicans in Congress.....WHICH IS EXACTLY who needs to get pissed at him to turn their backs on him for good. Then Trump's base will be pissed at them. It's a win....win. :cwink:

Why not. It was not just kosher, but all the rage to blame it all on bush for YEARS after Obama got into office... So why not blame all the bad on Obama, now trump's in office?

Did you even read the post that I was referring to?

Don't blame it on Obama, he didn't set the precedence to use tons of Executive Orders, as was proven by what I posted.

Had absolutely nothing to do with what you stated.

And please don't use the "well they did it" argument on me....it does not work. It's a weak argument.

True dat. Bush Sr, iirc has been the only recent One term president, cause of bad policies..

Because of "No New Taxes"....it wasn't his bad policy it was Carter's and Reagan's bad policies....and Bush simply made a promise he couldn't keep.

"Screwing with the economy" in ways that are actually working out so far.

Sure, that might not last. If it does, though, "screwing with the economy" will be a plus for the guy.

The last time we did tariffs, under W. Bush, that were a bit lesser, and much more targeted, it cost 200,000 jobs in under 9 months. Will they last long enough to cause damage to the economy, who knows, as trying to predict what he will do is insanity.

As is the effects of his "insanity", though, by that logic.

The economy's been doing well since he's got in. That might not last, absolutely. But whatever he's doing seems to be fine so far, wait and see I guess? Almost 3 years until election day, anything could happen with the economy in that time. Bad, sure, but good too.

As is the effects of his "insanity", though, by that logic.

The economy's been doing well since he's got in. That might not last, absolutely. But whatever he's doing seems to be fine so far, wait and see I guess? Almost 3 years until election day, anything could happen with the economy in that time. Bad, sure, but good too.

Well, Trickle down usually doesn't hit for a good 8 years down the road....he will be long gone before we see any fall out from this. Everyone was doing great under Reagan as well....and then Bush got the brunt of that when the trickle down ran out.

My portfolio is taking a hit right now...but I'll be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"